Anyone up for flying a real Mi-8 in Ukraine?

Thank you but, I think CrC may be right on this one. Sounds hazardous to ones health currently. If you can find one in the US let me know, I would be all over it!

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

They're based in central Ukraine so relatively safe.

Thanks for the link AlphaOneSix, I've emailed them and another company in Ukraine that have full sims to see what the per hour cost is.

PS. you're a lucky man to get to fly these beasts for a living! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Plus, there's the quite present danger that suddenly guys with guns and blue-yellow markings (or other, older, foreign, more extreme markings from the West...) may be trying to "nicely" persuade you to fly for their country to pay off their county's niceness in teaching you. Making you an offer you can't refuse...

Once, if, there is ever peace in Ukraine, or there is a possibility for a full license (with flying lessons, theory, etc.) at this price somewhere more peaceful I'm all for it!

Alpha, do you live in US or somewhere else that you can fly them? And how much did a license cost you?

PS: I would do just about anything legal for the privilege of being able to fly these amazing machines for real. But I'm too old to sign up for the Russian VVS. And wrong nationality, lol. (Our mil's idiots rather bought French whirlybirds instead of these proven machines)

And we ALL know about French quality. j/k

Edited by tovivan

I like to fly simulators and I don't ever think to fly the real thing BUT looking at the link from AlphaOneSix, that is place I would like to go. I would love to see all the engines laid out like that and learn a bit about them and fly the simulator. Finest Mi-17 simulator in the world is in Alabama. Go back in time and predict that!

It would be a great thing to learn the engines AND fly the machine. If only we could have many lives.

---

Terence, he just jokes. We know that the French make high quality things but they do not send the good things to Italy. Jokes aside it is impressive that France makes cars, choppers, aircraft, and yes even carriers. French do have a new reputation in this regard. If the carrier doesn't melt ... Russia must wait until it is re-made out of melting material :hehe:

• Like 2

Jokes aside it is impressive that France makes cars, choppers, aircraft, and yes even carriers.

They may do it on a smaller scale and don't build carriers (but submarines), but Iran achieved all that, even though it's been under embargo for the last 36 years. Pretty impressive as well.

French do have a new reputation in this regard. If the carrier doesn't melt ... Russia must wait until it is re-made out of melting material :hehe:

In business world France and that shipyard got themselves a pretty big black mark with that stunt. What I'm wondering is what do the penalty clauses in the contract specify. Be assured there ARE penalty clauses in there. It will not be just that one billion that Russia paid for those two ships, but there will also be penalties for not holding to contract. It's possible France will have to pay those penalties even if they deliver those ships in condition promised (without software and hardware compromised and full of back-doors built-in).

• 6 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Also, flying an MI-8 over the Ukraine is now free, and you can fire ordinance.

AMD 7900x3D | Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero | 64GB DC DDR5 6400 Ram | MSI Suprim RTX 4090 Liquid X | 2 x Kingston Fury 4TB Gen4 NVME | Corsair HX1500i PSU | NZXT H7 Flow | Liquid Cooled CPU & GPU | HP Reverb G2 | LG 48" 4K OLED | Winwing HOTAS

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2015 at 6:37 AM, Inverted said:

Hey all,

I've found out you can fly a real Mi-8 for 3000 USD in central Ukraine, cheaper than many sim pits!

So anyone else up for giving it a go?

Well, since this was bumped:

3000 USD is what, just 1 hr? Add in the cost of transportation and accoms, and it costs somewhat more.

Don't get me wrong, if money were no object, and the region was more forgiving, then or now....