enemy AI aircraft acting passive in user generated missions

pepto

now i haven't spent much time with the mission editor so this could very well be user error, but whenever i spawn hostile AI aircraft they just don't take any aggressive action against me unless i spawn myself literally right in front of them. i've tried setting commands for them to respond to my presence but whenever i start the mission with me behind them they just ignore me and fly straight and level, if i attack them they just book it with their tail between their legs. i've tried going against 5 advanced AI Su-33s in an F-15 and picked them all off one by one, i feel like they didn't even try and get on my tail and instead just scattered everywhere while a couple tried to abandon the fight completely, is this a bug or am i just not looking into this enough? it would be nice to find a solution because it can get boring trying to pick a fight with an aerial punching bag :P

Hello

You have to assign them a role (eg CAP , CAS etc...) in the mission editor (it's at the top right of the plane or group caracteristics )

Have fun!

Details:

Asus Z-170E, Intel i5-6600K @ 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM

MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G

Win 10 Home