Building My First A-10 Panels For My Pit

Deezle

Howdy all. I've posted my pit before as it sits but I'm taking the plunge into panel building. I'm starting off with the AHCP, landing gear panel and fuel control panel. I'll be taking some liberty with dimensions, switch layouts, and such, to fit my tastes/needs, for example I'll be putting the SAS switches in place of the fill disable switches. After I get this side complete I'd like to do a basic countermeasure panel, electrical panel and AAP for the right side.

So far I started work on the landing gear handle. I'm not a machinist by trade but I spend a fair amount of time on a mill and lathe and know my way around them. I also have access to plenty of engraving plastic and a CNC engraver at work for the panels.

So here's the landing gear handle with a couple gratuitous shots of my rig.

WnwfkAn.jpg

f7Bc4pW.jpg

A pile of EATON SPDT and SPST switches. I'll be turning aluminum shafts for them where appropriate.

KH6H5uK.jpg

And a recap of the pit as it currently sits.

5NoRaFy.jpg

• Like 1

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Well here's the AHCP/landing gear panel so far. Unfortunately it lifted up a little so the engraving near the top is deeper than it's supposed to be (hard to see in the picture without the white fill).

BY5arIU.jpg

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Turned the switch shafts for the AHCP.

9Ja9HGK.jpg

Engraved another panel and used the prox sensor to keep the engraving depth constant.

UgC0hNm.jpg?1

• Like 1

A lathe spins a part while stationary (as in non-spinning) tools cut and shape it, such as the switch shafts above. I used a CNC engraver for the panels.

Well here she is.

6gXsXJT.jpg

g9feVP0.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks guys, here's a few more pics.

The switches are mounted in aluminum panels, I sheared them to size then stuck them to a piece of wood with double sided tape, I then clamped the wood to the mill table so I could accurately drill the holes.

9vWiGAN.jpg

The "frame" is aluminum plate and bars that I welded together. The bars are drilled and tapped and the switch panels bolt to the "frame" and the engraved panels bolt to the switch panels. To get the required thickness, I simply took scrap engraving plastic and stuck it to the back of the panels.

rRqxsrk.jpg

4YVTQjG.jpg

I'm using a GP Wiz40 to wire the switches to. The white plastic around the gear handle is teflon, I had to add that to prevent binding.

cMZcd2K.jpg

• Like 1

With the success of the first panels, I ordered more parts and I'm starting to draw up the panel for the right side. This is what I have so far. I never make my own CMS programs so having the extra buttons/switches are of no real use for me, so I omitted them.

K9fDng5.png

Nice. A word of caution though. Be careful when you buy rotary switches. Many of the cheap ones you find on e.g. Ebay have 30 degree index angle whereas you need 45 degree for the Steer PT and Page knobs on the AAP.

I found these on Mouse http://dk.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=A12515RNZQvirtualkey61170000virtualkey611-A12515RNZQ

A little more expensive but at least they will line up with your engraving :smilewink: You may be able to find some cheaper or alternatively change the engraving.

Cheers

Hans

Nice. A word of caution though. Be careful when you buy rotary switches. Many of the cheap ones you find on e.g. Ebay have 30 degree index angle whereas you need 45 degree for the Steer PT and Page knobs on the AAP.

I found these on Mouse http://dk.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=A12515RNZQvirtualkey61170000virtualkey611-A12515RNZQ

A little more expensive but at least they will line up with your engraving :smilewink: You may be able to find some cheaper or alternatively change the engraving.

Cheers

Hans

Yeah those are ones I ordered (except 1/2" shaft) :thumbup: I was gonna use the rotarys we use at work but they're 12 position (30º).

As a complete nob(i intentionally left out the o) i was struggling trying to find two rotaries for my panel, one which had three positions and one with four.

I was in the shop testing them from the same box, which had 3 which had 4...why were they all in the same box.

Then when I got the right ones and threw away the washer with the bit in the hole, I just assumed they were all 12 position and i just wired up the 4 i needed.

I know, usually I am quite intelligent, but I only figured it out building the panel with the steer pt and page.

And as mentioned above, my skills are so basic i made the panel and installed the rotaries then printed the panel cover 5 or 6 times until it matched the rotaries!

But ive heard thats how the bouncing bomb was made....

Like HMA said, rotary switches come in 30 or 45 degrees type. If not specified in description then need to check the data sheets. The number of positions are usually not fixed. usually they come holes at the top, and a pin for you to select which hole to plug into and that will stop the rotation to the number of positions desired.

Before you set the pin, you have to first rotate the handle anticlockwise all the way. Then set the pin. Then it'd stop rotating where you want it to.

IMG_2121.jpg?t=1261969657

So here's a progress update.

This is how I assembled the sides of the boxes, drilled and tapped aluminum bar welded to the side panels.

EIh0OSx.jpg

The switch panel drilled with the rotaries, I was even able to add the holes for the anti-rotation pins on the switches, so they work great.

lQZVafN.jpg

And with the engraved panel on top, hasn't had the white fill yet.

TEUQtCF.jpg

Here's the completed panels. The saga doesn't end here however, I just placed an order for a few dozen push-buttons :music_whistling:

jyNrz3G.jpg?1

Looks like he has contracted the disease people.

There is no known cure my friend.:(

But your panel is excellent. Looks really nice. And the phrase "built like a brick shit house"...I think that applies as well.:P

Looking forward to more pics Deezle.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

Absolutely fantastic. Very nice work. The gear handle is superb. Nice job on the side consoles also. My first pit was built using Dimbug's plans. Then Deadman got me into using real panels, and they simply don't fit with the wood consoles as the wooden frame interferes when installing them. If you keep using metal and keeping it thin like you're doing, it will work out great whether you use real panels or your fantastic made ones. Please keep us posted!

Buttons aren't toys! :smilewink:

My new Version 2 Pit: MacFevre A-10C SimPit V2

My first pit thread: A-10C Simulator Pit "The TARDIS."

Dzus Fastener tutorial, on the inexpensive side: DIY Dzus Fastener

Awesome work! I'm building a kit plane and would love to put in electric panels like this with this detail and back lighting. Just having the skill alone to make these is impressive.

Just waiting for the day someone decides to market their panels. Envious of your neighbors. :D

FYI with these talents you could make a run at the kit plane market for the guys building RV's. They are always looking to dress up their cockpits to look like a military aircraft.

Kyle