Questions about AI?

So i'm quite new to the game so i'm guessing it might be because of that. So today, i was playing around with the Su-27, and i locked on to this Apache. I fired, and he deployed countermeasures. Miss. Not a big deal right? I mean, he is supposed to do that when he sees a missile coming at him. I go a little, gaining some range to make a turn and send another missile. As i am turning, i look towards the Apache to confirm im turning to the correct place. I see an AGM-114K heading towards me. I'm confused. It doesn't last long though, as the Hellfire hits me and i go down burning. What? How could this even happen? Its funny and sad at the same time. Any reason for this? As a side question, is it normal for enemy MiGs to dodge 2 AIM-120s, 1 AIM-9X and then proceed to 1 shot me? again, im guessing that its because of my skill level, but it still seems a little wierd to be able to dodge all of those missiles. I never even live long enough to get into cannon range. I like challenges, but this is sort of insane. 9 out of 10 times i get shot before shooting down a plane and the other time i either get lucky or i shoot the bomber. Anyways, thanks for taking your time and reading this long post :D thanks to anyone and everyone who answers. Cheers.

So i'm quite new to the game so i'm guessing it might be because of that. So today, i was playing around with the Su-27, and i locked on to this Apache. I fired, and he deployed countermeasures. Miss. Not a big deal right? I mean, he is supposed to do that when he sees a missile coming at him. I go a little, gaining some range to make a turn and send another missile. As i am turning, i look towards the Apache to confirm im turning to the correct place. I see an AGM-114K heading towards me. I'm confused. It doesn't last long though, as the Hellfire hits me and i go down burning. What? How could this even happen? Its funny and sad at the same time. Any reason for this?
I don't know if this is possible in real life but I believe changes are coming to the mission editor in the upcoming DCS World version 1.5 where you can tell aircraft such as ground attack helicopters not to engage fighters.

I see an AGM-114K heading towards me. I'm confused. It doesn't last long though, as the Hellfire hits me and i go down burning. What? How could this even happen? Its funny and sad at the same time.

It has happened in RL, but with a Cessna.

As a side question, is it normal for enemy MiGs to dodge 2 AIM-120s, 1 AIM-9X and then proceed to 1 shot me?

Sure. Missile employment depends on many things - in any case, you don't have any AIM-9X's.

again, im guessing that its because of my skill level, but it still seems a little wierd to be able to dodge all of those missiles. I never even live long enough to get into cannon range. I like challenges, but this is sort of insane.

So what do you know about evading missiles? That question is a start :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

It has happened in RL, but with a Cessna.

Sure. Missile employment depends on many things - in any case, you don't have any AIM-9X's.

So what do you know about evading missiles? That question is a start :)

About the 9X, it was an error on my part haha :D. Now i do know that i have to pump chaff and /or flares, and make evasive maneouvers. Thats about it really, except the fact that i can sometimes distingues the RWR tone to know when someone has locked on to me. Thats about it really.

The fight against AI bandit is not the same than a human pilot. Just learn with AI first. You need to learn all about range, LA, and recommended Launch in several situation. Just close to a buddy and ask or search in the forum and you gone learn. But Try mission, easy one, then after that watch the track. So is the best individual learning.

You can't learn reading a single thread. There are thread for missiles, threads for bombing etc etc...

Just try and try

Edited by pepin1234

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Perfect situation awareness at AH-64 AI is problem. Not missiles or AGM. Try to use immelman and attack from upper aspect. Shoot R73 not more than 1.5km or shoot with gun.

“The people will believe what the media tells them they believe.” — George Orwell

Yeah those AI helicopters do fight back, and they detect missile launches superhumanly well.

About the missile evasion well there are many ways to break the missile lock.

Things that contribute to breaking a radar missile lock

-chaff

-beaming(putting missile on 3 o clock or 9 o clock)

-ground clutter(fly lower than the bad guy/missile!

-flying below minimum tracking altitude(fly even lower! Doesn't apply to active radar homing missiles)

Things that contribute to breaking IR missile lock:

-flares

-front aspect (if it's coming from the front, that's best. If it's coming from behind, that's worst, because the missile sees your engine heat)

-throttle position. No afterburner is better, idle is best.

Now in addition to these, you can try bleed the missile's energy by hard maneuvering throughout the missile's approach (more G is better, faster airspeed is better), causing it to miss, or if its far enough away, just turn run away(this is often safest!). Or combining running away and hard maneuvering by flying a snaking pattern away from the missile.

Or you could force the missile to fly into the ground by using terrain like mountains or even on flat terrain.

As you see there are many ways to avoid missiles :)

Perfect situational awareness isn't AH-64 only either, almost anything that can pop flares, will immediately as you fire a heater on them, even they shouldn't have any way to know you've fired it. Other "cheats" AI use iclude superhuman accuracy at weird distances against maneuvring targets, but, they tend to do that in short burst rather than decisive killing blows. They also, almost always know where you are even if they don't have any sensors. Then, they have SFM and aren't subject to system / damage / flight / weight model related features like our own aircraft do. Some, like the MiG-15, could fly more or less supernatural :P.

However, I think these cheats barely make AI challenging, since, their dogfighting provess, even at highest settings, tend to disappoint. Only ones I remember to be challenging were P-51D vs Fw-190D9 and F-86 vs MiG-15Bis. Otherwise, you can put high skill level AI jets, and have a field day against them in prop warbirds if you feel like :).

The case of attack helicopters taking down fast aircraft with their anti tank missiles consistently is indeed sticking to eye though. I had this happen to me when I was in a MiG-21 and AI Mi-28 took me down twice in a mission. Heard this happening with AH-64 and Mi-24 as well. Missiles pull lead as if they are proper air to air missiles and they don't seem to have any sort of seeker agility problems either when tracking fast, g pulling aircraft.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I forgot which update it was, but didn't one update this year give helicopters at least partial immunity to detection by planes? I can't remember if it was at any speed or only specific speed like 140kmh or even which update, but I do remember there being one.

I would really love to know that cause it would affect my multiplayer gaming. :D

The AI does indeed attack you with any weapon it can, regardless of its role. I had the opposite of your story happen - flying in a Ka-50, suddenly getting a laser warning from the side and taking impacts - checking the replay, it was a Frogfoot !

This can be a bit of a problem with helicopters that can instantly lock you with TV or laser weapons, while locking a fast moving jet with a camera shouldn't be doable this quickly.

I have not managed to down an Apache yet, but I did down several Huey Cobras on one mission. I stayed low to the ground with radar off (I was in an Su-33), and at about 5km out turned on my heatseeking mode. I did not launch till I was about 1 km out and ready to overfly them. I should also mention I was coming at them from about their 6-7 o' clock. I got the surprise hit on the first one, but subsequent passes they were ready for me, so I had to do a little fancy flying and send my wingman in, in order to get a chance at them. Luckily for me in the ensuing chaos two of the 4 ship crashed into each other, so I was able to swing around and take care of the last guy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

YouTube ~ Twitch