OT: Greek, Turkish fighter jets crash

Source:

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/05/23/greece.crash/index.html

ATHENS, Greece (CNN) -- Two fighter jets, one Greek and the other Turkish, collided in mid-air Tuesday in international waters over the southern Aegean Sea and the fate of both pilots is unclear, according to the Greek Defense Ministry.

The Greek F-16 had been dispatched to intercept the Turkish jet because it had violated Greek airspace, the ministry said.

Both fighter jets were maneuvering around each other in a mock dogfight when the crash happened around 1 p.m. (6 a.m. ET) about 12 miles off the coast of the Greek island of Karpathos, the ministry said. (Click here to see map of area)

Rescue crews have been dispatched to the area.

The Turkish defense ministry was not immediately available for comment.

Archrivals Greece and Turkey regularly criticize each other for causing mock fights between warplanes over the Aegean sea.

Greece's defense ministry says it daily scrambles several fighter jets to intercept Turkish jets that it claims have invaded its airspace.

The two countries, who came close to war as recently as 1996, have considerably improved ties but have not resolved territorial disputes in the Aegean Sea and over the divided island of Cyprus.

Journalist Anthee Carassava contributed to this report

Damn..I think they were just too close to each other, doing some crazy manouvers, when it happened.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

To be honest, by listening to the dialouge, it seems to me both sides were actually "enjoying" the mock combat as this was not the first time they've done this (as reported in the article).

Especially the part "Tell them we go on with the engage..".

The last one turned out to be fatal as one of the pilots may have been bit too hotheaded in the turns..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

the scene out of top gun where "hte bird" signal was used comes to mind. However unfortunatly it sounds like they got too close.

I bet it is fun doing that sort of stuff, after all 95% of military flying is boredom, 5% sheer terror. I guess these guys were up for a firendly dog fight, no matter how upset it made the parent nations.

Guest Hell Sqn Protos

S~!

There is no engagement unless someone violates another Country's airspace. You only need to look at the map to figure out who violated which airspace. As for the hotheaded, maybe......... or maybe one of them just sucked.

I think they either collided and the cockpit section of the Greek F-16 was hit, or they collided and a Sidewinder on the wingtip exploded, causing severe damage to both planes, but more for the Greek one. I don't know how the aim-9 fuse arming works, but I guess severe compression can cause an explosion.

Lets hope the Greek pilot made it out and everything worked well. Stop all this hostility on the forums towards Greeks/Turks, you sound like an upset kid.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Guest Cali
S~!

Wow, bad day indeed. But at least pilots are safe :thumbup:

Not starting off to good huh 30 posts and 20% on the warm meter.

it's a big ass sky, it's amuzing how two pilots can manage to colide in it. (they probably watched TopGun one too many times)

You just don't know what you are talking about, do you? :bash:

Tell it to my collegue who lost his father because of mid-air collision during routine dogfight training. He didn't even had a chance to eject because he was already decapitated. Both pilots had master class, and they really didn't have time to watch lame TopGun.

Is the Greek pilot okey?

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

You just don't know what you are talking about, do you? :bash:

Tell it to my collegue who lost his father because of mid-air collision during routine dogfight training. He didn't even had a chance to eject because he was already decapitated. Both pilots had master class, and they really didn't have time to watch lame TopGun.

uhm, like this: :rotflmao:

PS: have fun, live a little. Not all is serious all the time ;)

sig-YF19a.jpg

In a scissors fight you can esely get too close specialy if both pilots are confident. I have seen this a large number of times in all SIM's I have ever played.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I read in swedish media that they recovered the greek pilots body.

I guess next time the greeks will fire for effect.

ASUS P4T533-C|P4 3.06@3.45|1024Mb Kingston 1066 rambus|ATI 9.... *EDITED* - Listen to Mods!!!

Nope. This isn't the first time that such an incident has occured - it was really just a matter of time before it turned into an accident.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

uhm, like this: :rotflmao:

PS: have fun, live a little. Not all is serious all the time ;)

Sorry man. Just got kinda like :cry: when saw your post. Thought what you said is not right in this case - remember it is a human loss. Somebody's dad will not come home tonight.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Quote from BBC:

Turkish Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul conveyed his country's condolences to his Greek counterpart Dora Bakoyanni in a telephone conversation, the foreign ministry in Ankara said.

"The two foreign ministers expressed their regret at today's incident and agreed that this should not affect the two countries' efforts to improve their relations," a Greek foreign ministry statement said.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Guest Hell Sqn Protos

I guess next time the greeks will fire for effect.

You know that no Hellenic Pilot will go down like that again. At the very least he is going to take someone with him. :thumbup: