Open Conflict - Server Information

Mirknir

OMG the new weather is the BEST i have ever seen in DCS!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

I had to get back on tonight just to see the new update. A quick L39 run with Bert, here you can see us laying waste to the incursion. This weather will significantly help us little light attack/trainer aircraft guys evade the mighty modern fighters! (also for the record i shot down F15 in L39 just so everyone knows. My first a2a kill will it lol)

The level of fog with high overcast is stunning. Excellent for HELO PARTYS! And the density of the fog is perfect, just enough to obscure some stuff but not too thick to where the air quake players would complain about not being able to find airports :lol:

Navigation skills will actually be useful now!

EXCELLENT update Mirk!:thumbup::pilotfly:

Thanks for the feedback man ; it's harder and harder to find different weather :helpsmilie:

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

I agree with Dust new weather=10/10

"Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil. For I am 80,000 feet and climbing." -9th SRW Det. 1 Wing Ops, Kadena AFB, Okinawa, Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-4460, 16GB of RAM, MSi GTX 970 Twin Frozr V, ASRock H97M Anniversary, 2x 1TB HDD, Fractal design Core 1100, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Corsair Vengeance K70, Razer Abyssus mouse, BenQ 1080P monitor.

Hey Mirk, it appears that the server lost master connection, and it's still about three hours to restart. :helpsmilie:

For the rather short time i was able to experience the weather for now, I can only say that it's absolutely amazing, and it's also nice to be able to start the Dora in one try now :thumbup:

Would be much appreciated if you could restart it so I can try out more stuff!

Hi Mirk, thought I might as well jump on the feedback bandwagon and just say that, as everyone has said, the new weather is awesome. The warm weather makes IR guided air to ground munitions much trickier to use and that, combined with the fog, makes ground pounding a very interesting experience! Especially with the SU25T, the tv sensor really struggles to pick out units in the fog, to the point that I'm forcing vihkrs and other missiles to fire and manually guiding them with the laser until the TV system picks up the target!

Here's a quick 2 minute video of me coming back to Krashnodar Pashkovsky after a very long mission. Having cleared out the first assault convoy and artillery base by myself, I made a sprint back to friendly territory and realised I haven't practised poor weather landings for a long time! Time to test my ILS skills...

Sorry for the slight fuzziness to the video, I put it in quick record at the last minute so it didn't have the correct resolution on, but I thought it might be nice for you (and the others) to see your hard work in action :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Mirk, thought I might as well jump on the feedback bandwagon and just say that, as everyone has said, the new weather is awesome. The warm weather makes IR guided air to ground munitions much trickier to use and that, combined with the fog, makes ground pounding a very interesting experience! Especially with the SU25T, the tv sensor really struggles to pick out units in the fog, to the point that I'm forcing vihkrs and other missiles to fire and manually guiding them with the laser until the TV system picks up the target!

Here's a quick 2 minute video of me coming back to Krashnodar Pashkovsky after a very long mission. Having cleared out the first assault convoy and artillery base by myself, I made a sprint back to friendly territory and realised I haven't practised poor weather landings for a long time! Time to test my ILS skills...

Sorry for the slight fuzziness to the video, I put it in quick record at the last minute so it didn't have the correct resolution on, but I thought it might be nice for you (and the others) to see your hard work in action :)

Unacceptable. High and fast and left of centerline. I expect better of you. Also BERT wasn't supposed to be on today?!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''

I am glad you guys like it ; the first comment I had on the new weather was "this fog is AIDS" so I was not sure :)

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

I am glad you guys like it ; the first comment I had on the new weather was "this fog is AIDS" so I was not sure :)

I've never posted here yet cus im a bit of a lurker, but cus i see ur in doubt i just wanna tell u the weather is awesome indeed :D .. tbh ur whole server is freaking awesome :)

I think it's great. I lost my airport tonight and had to circle around looking for it.....I have no idea what the flight director was trying to get me to do.

Win 10 | i7 4770 @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR3 | 6 GB GTX1060

In Masterscript: Skynet v3.4

• US Air tanker altitude and speed changed
    • Proposed by Cosmicdoubloon to make it accessible by both F15 and A10 planes
    • Altitude of 4500m ; Speed of 500km/h

Dunno if it's just me, but in an A10 I've had no luck getting the tanker to respond to me on 140?

Unacceptable. High and fast and left of centerline. I expect better of you. Also BERT wasn't supposed to be on today?!!

ACTUALLY I think you'll find my touchdown speed was perfect for the SU25T :P though interestingly the ILS did bring me in high. I landed at a different airfield to the one I took off from so I wonder if I have to re-calibrate it for the new airfield. I'd expect that from the DCS modules but coming from an FC3 plane? Very interesting...

Going to test out the KC-135 for the A10 tonight and see if my testing from many moons ago has produced a viable result and shall report back o7

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I gotta say, I love the new tanker routes lol twice now have I been fueling then been surprised by an enemy fighter trying to get an easy kill. Yesterday it was with cosmic when all of a sudden the tanker started pumping out flares as I was mesmerized I then realized that was probably a bad sign and let into a multiple aircraft furball. Today, refueling properly with a trailer as cover a sneaky Sukoi tried to get the jump on me and I literally watched the IL 78 blow up as I was tanking. Luckily my wingman cravgar shocked the sneaky breeky with a magic straight up the tail pipe before he could get another shot off. Good times!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

I gotta say, I love the new tanker routes lol twice now have I been fueling then been surprised by an enemy fighter trying to get an easy kill. Yesterday it was with cosmic when all of a sudden the tanker started pumping out flares as I was mesmerized I then realized that was probably a bad sign and let into a multiple aircraft furball. Today, refueling properly with a trailer as cover a sneaky Sukoi tried to get the jump on me and I literally watched the IL 78 blow up as I was tanking. Luckily my wingman cravgar shocked the sneaky breeky with a magic straight up the tail pipe before he could get another shot off. Good times!

Yea i noticed that the tankers are surely going down more than before.

They are for sure in the danger zone :)

I am not sure what is the respawn delay maybe 20min.

Well, they are now objectives to protect like you wanted:)

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

I would like to point out that Krasnodar and Krymsk don't have ILS like Sochi does. Its more of a approach that you would do with an NDB/DME approach. The flight director actually flies you to a point at the midpoint of the runway (Where the beacon is located).

Technically you shouldn't be flying that approach in that weather since you can't see the field at DH lol. But really flying 100m under the approach path should be ok, since the area near Krymsk is pretty flat.

I would like to point out that Krasnodar and Krymsk don't have ILS like Sochi does. Its more of a approach that you would do with an NDB/DME approach. The flight director actually flies you to a point at the midpoint of the runway (Where the beacon is located).

Technically you shouldn't be flying that approach in that weather since you can't see the field at DH lol. But really flying 100m under the approach path should be ok, since the area near Krymsk is pretty flat.

And Krymsk won't turn the lights on during "daylight" hours. And....the flight director insists on adding a little "English" to the approach to compensate for wind. I landed diagonally last night, then swerved all the way up the runway before finding a taxiway.

As Mirknir was saying, tankers are now a legit objective and require defenses from players or else you may find your self in formation with a hostile Mirage...like Bert trolling this poor F15 before wasting him with guns:megalol:

Screen_161108_161550.thumb.jpg.b56b3ea6bf578d9487e34a4ac5b6c35e.jpg

Screen_161108_161558.thumb.jpg.660ebd9066b77675a915b01582adddc8.jpg

Screen_161108_161640.thumb.jpg.c723b3341fb4f0c98ae7955b8dd44e3b.jpg

1. Can the mission have some less extreme weather from time to time?

2. The server has very few rules and those are quite forgiving. The one repeated rule is "fly like a gentleman". Taking off from taxiways is not flying like a gentleman. Please, respect the other participants and use the runway.

1. Can the mission have some less extreme weather from time to time?

2. The server has very few rules and those are quite forgiving. The one repeated rule is "fly like a gentleman". Taking off from taxiways is not flying like a gentleman. Please, respect the other participants and use the runway.

1/ Yea the next weather pattern in the cycle is supposed to be less extreme

2/ Yea I might start to enforce the speed on taxi and kick offenders since people are not being gentlemen :mad:

I am not sure if DCS differentiate taxi from runway tho, only give Runway type of surface for both taxi and runway

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

It's literally the only server in DCS that has ANY weather. Every single other server on 1.5 is clear as Russian vodka. Also I think the majority of people love it, myself included. It adds such a dynamic that changes the traditional "air quake" gameplay seen on the majority of other servers.

The taxiway takeoff thing I may be guilty of that allegedly lol if Mirknir changes that rule please post it here because I would say 69% of my takeoff are from something other than a runway, especially in that HOT m2k omg it's so tempting to just turn left and get airborne lol

Since requests are being posted I had a ? For Mirk

I seem to recall we had this discussion and there was a logical reason behind not adding it but I seem to have forgot-the infantry incursions, any chance to replace an RPG or 2 with MANPADS? Perhaps not on the first one but maybe it's respawned counterpart?

Also MAYKOP. Someone was talking about a "dynamic" style objective? Like would it be possible to land on it and then generate a message saying "MAYKOP now captured by REDFOR" or something, allowing players to re arm there? Idk just an egg nog discussion forum post! Cheers! :beer:

It's literally the only server in DCS that has ANY weather. Every single other server on 1.5 is clear as Russian vodka. Also I think the majority of people love it, myself included. It adds such a dynamic that changes the traditional "air quake" gameplay seen on the majority of other servers.

The taxiway takeoff thing I may be guilty of that allegedly lol if Mirknir changes that rule please post it here because I would say 69% of my takeoff are from something other than a runway, especially in that HOT m2k omg it's so tempting to just turn left and get airborne lol

Since requests are being posted I had a ? For Mirk

I seem to recall we had this discussion and there was a logical reason behind not adding it but I seem to have forgot-the infantry incursions, any chance to replace an RPG or 2 with MANPADS? Perhaps not on the first one but maybe it's respawned counterpart?

Also MAYKOP. Someone was talking about a "dynamic" style objective? Like would it be possible to land on it and then generate a message saying "MAYKOP now captured by REDFOR" or something, allowing players to re arm there? Idk just an egg nog discussion forum post! Cheers! :beer:

For the taxi take off, I don't mind when it's well executed but most of the time it will create a crash and a wreck so if I managed to find a way to decrease them, I will but AFAIK, dcs surface type doesn't differentiate runway from taxi ; it's all runway.

For the weather, having something less extreme doesn't mean having no weather :)

For the manpads, I didn't want to have dynamic objective with SAMS because I can't put spotters, smokes and information on them on the briefing map. Every SAMS are marked somewhere.

For MAYKOP, I thought about it but it's really close from the end of the map north and the terrain is not interesting. Plus, it's more closer from blue than red.

Also, my Skynet programming time has decreased a lot since I started working on another game (and getting paid for it!).

I prefer not to start big feature right now and try to clear the smaller in the pipe.

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

For the taxi take off, I don't mind when it's well executed but most of the time it will create a crash and a wreck so if I managed to find a way to decrease them, I will but AFAIK, dcs surface type doesn't differentiate runway from taxi ; it's all runway.

For the weather, having something less extreme doesn't mean having no weather :)

For the manpads, I didn't want to have dynamic objective with SAMS because I can't put spotters, smokes and information on them on the briefing map. Every SAMS are marked somewhere.

For MAYKOP, I thought about it but it's really close from the end of the map north and the terrain is not interesting. Plus, it's more closer from blue than red.

Also, my Skynet programming time has decreased a lot since I started working on another game (and getting paid for it!).

I prefer not to start big feature right now and try to clear the smaller in the pipe.

Good Stuff mirk! I think you can set the speed limits with fair ease... its done on the VA server.

Grats on the new work to!

As for Maykop, it would be really nice to be blue again, as it gave more options for your flightplan and bugging out..

Also are we going to have the map rotation that was discussed many moons ago to have both of your awesome creations?

Good Stuff mirk! I think you can set the speed limits with fair ease... its done on the VA server.

Grats on the new work to!

As for Maykop, it would be really nice to be blue again, as it gave more options for your flightplan and bugging out..

Also are we going to have the map rotation that was discussed many moons ago to have both of your awesome creations?

For the speed limit, I just need to know what is runway and what is taxiway. I have a way to do it by putting zones all over but it's not optimal or foolproof.

Do you have the name of the VA admin? I will ask them if they have a better way.

I know it was blue before and by mistake but a blue Mayhop would break the map balance as it would give a closer airbase to the conflict zone to only one faction. I will check into more details about this.

Skynet is ready for map rotation ; however, I need time to apply every last Tuapse updates to Khashuri to be able to use it.

Khashuri is about 6 month behind Tsuape and needs to be on the same level to be in a rotation or people will cry about the difference :)

(like AWACS position, frequencies, WWII fighters each side, AI CAP changes....)

I kept all release notes so it shouldn't be that hard.

Just like everything... needs time :)

Also, I am currently working on the launcher in case you didn't know and will have more time when it's shipped.

Here is a screen ; the goal is to track more stuff to offer more uptime.

attachment.php?attachmentid=150863&d=1477844467

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

I expect no less than a category 3 hurricane, I want to try flying backwards in the props! :lol:

With regards to the taxiway takeoff issue I don't often see problems with it, only when two f15s go head on at 150 knots each and then create a fireworks display for everyone at the airport :P Like Cravgar said the Virtual Aerobatics server has a very effective limiter on its taxiways so it can be done, but I'm not sure how script heavy it is. I think EricR is one of the VA admins, I've seen him post from time to time with official updates regarding VA.

My issue with it is that quite often (normally a couple of hours into a server rotation) the runways end up being rendered unusable by wrecks from crash landings and runway collisions. When this happens the only viable option for takeoff (especially in heavily laden attackers) is the main taxiways as they're the only roads long and straight enough for a plane to takeoff from. This is especially noticeable at the closest airports for each team which are typically the RTB point for damaged planes - Gelendzik for BLU and Sochi for Red. Sochi is lucky that it has the secondary runway so it doesn't really suffer but all it takes is one wreck in the middle of the runway at Gelendzik and the airport is pretty much unusable unless you can land/takeoff on the taxiway.

Therefore I feel that restrictions are not a good idea unless theres a way to lift the restrictions once the game has decided a runway has taken enough damage to be classed as 'unusable' by the game, but I suspect that could be a major project... In the interim it'll just be up to the regulars to set an example and not taxiway takeoff unless its definitely clear (looking at you rustoff ;) )

As for the SAM/MANPAD idea, I know you're hesitant to put them in the dynamic objectives, but what about the advanced armour objectives such as Anapa/Ashpernok incursion? These are already protected bymultiple Gepard AAA and so an IR SAM such as the Strela 1 would fit in well I think. Gepards actually outrange the Strela 1 and MANPADs (not sure about the Strela 10, will test tonight) and so for a player to be engaged by the IR sams they would already be in range of the Gepards and such are A. being warned of the ground threats by their RWR and B. probably dead because those Gepards are monsters, even at maximum range!

I think it could be worth trying them in the next patch and give us a chance to give feedback, like we did with the new destroyer at Tuapse and the Open Sea Fleet. The spawning of the advanced incursions could have an extra line in their spawn message so that their message would be something like 'A new objective detected: Ashpernok Incursion. Warning, SAMs detected at objective!' If they turn out to just be rage inducing (which I doubt) then they could always be removed.

Also did some testing of the new KC135 and the A10s can happily reach it, even with combat loadouts :)

Edited by cosmicdoubloon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To be honest im pretty sure I've collided with more aircraft using the RUNWAY then taxiway. The only time I really hit someone on a taxiway was in a p51 with a wicked crosswind and I plummeted into bert who woefully decided to rearm right in the middle of it:smilewink: