Open Conflict - Server Information

Mirknir

Hey! Just want to say I love your server. I've been flying around in the Gazelle recently under the Callsign "Counsel." I really enjoy the variety of tasks that you can perform.

For example:

I took up a Gazelle with HOTS, fired at a convoy, then went and rescued a downed aviator with my one passenger seat.

Love it!

Edit: One question: any thoughts about running a Nevada or Normandy server?

Hello,

First off, props to Mirknir on the great server! Much appreciated, and the below is just a small issue I've been having.

I have a question about the AI skill level - it seems to me that the ground units are just too good. In the Huey, KA-50, or A-10 my friends and I have noticed that we are nearly instantly killed by light arms fire from ground units. Last night in the Huey I was killed by an AK wielding infantry through the trees as soon as I peeked a hill. I'm thinking this might be because the unit skill is set to excellent - giving them super detection abilities and perfect aim, so they are instantly headshotting my pilot from 2nm. It just seems like no matter what we do we are instantly killed by gunfire - to the point that I'm now more afraid of a BMP with a light machine gun than a SAM launcher (at least I can see the missiles coming and act accordingly)!

Is anyone else having issues with the ground units, or am I just a bad player?

Bonus question: is there a set of frequencies I should be tuning into on Simple Radio? I've never heard anyone talking on the default 252.00 UHF.

Thanks!

Your just a bad player. JK JK LOL

My mates and I always rage kill the ak47 with a MK84 after they shoot down a few of our helos. They are good.

My advice for Huey's and the incursions is to grab ur wingman and bum rush them as fast and as low as you can. 1 guy aims for the IGLA the other the BMP. After the first pass and if you are (successful killing bmp and IGLA) then take ur Huey up to altitude and pick them off in an orbit or with gun runs. Low level hovering against excellent is an instant GG (or death for you :) ) hope this helps! Don't get discouraged, I know it's hard at first but I know from first hand experience the Huey is more than capable of taking out the incursions by itself. Just takes patience, some skill, and a lot of luck lol good luck!

Ps.

If u see and {WD} on we love helos and would love to join you in a helo party stomping incursions

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''

Thanks for the response acdelta57. You're right I do need to figure out better tactics, but I think kreisch and I are in agreement that the AI difficulty isn't really realistic, and in my opinion isn't as fun as it could be. I mean, the actual tactic that heli pilots to stay alive is to stay low behind cover and do pop-up attacks, but its not really feasible here. I think it would be more fun to bump down the AI skill a notch and maybe add a few more (though that has lag implications)

Anyways, I'll give you guys a shout if I see you on and you can show me your Huey secrets!

Another thing to consider is you can sit maybe 1km away as long as the BTR and igla are dead and use your miniguns to spray down infantry out of range of their AKs, and like dust said use your elevation to your advantage :) the incursion is in a nice canyon and you can afford to sit relatively high out of reach of the AK infantry and orbit whilst you spot them. Of course the other option is to buddy up with a KA50/Gazelle and let them use their long range optics to help you spot infantry. :thumbup:

Edited by cosmicdoubloon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Another thing to consider is you can sit maybe 1km away as long as the BTR and igla are dead and use your miniguns to spray down infantry out of range of their AKs, and like dust said use your elevation to your advantage :) the incursion is in a nice canyon and you can afford to sit relatively high out of reach of the AK infantry and orbit whilst you spot them. Of course the other option is to buddy up with a KA50/Gazelle and let them use their long range optics to help you spot infantry. :thumbup:

I would be open to spotting with a Gazelle M for you guys. I can pop the BTR with a HOT and hopefully spot the IGLA. Gazelle has a limited ability to "peak" over ridgelines.

If any of you heli guys want an A-10 to assist, hit me up on the server chat. I love doing combined attacks on the ground targets and will be happy to send some AGM-65's at the defenses from a distance. I haven't yet learned the datalink capabilities, though I'm not sure that functionality is even supported in the choppers. I get in an hour or two most nights between 9:30-midnight, PST, so feel free to say hi. I'm a quiet one and don't often comment in chat or use the radio.

Last night I was taking on my nemesis target, the Deep Assault Convoy. I'm sure some of those specops encursions are similarly protected, however I just seem to consistently die from the DAC so I keep coming back to it. Anyway, last night I just said screw it and flew high enough to avoid the AA fire and managed to have some success. Dangerous, I know.

As I was heads down looking at the TGP trying to acquire the target for a GBU drop, boom...dead. Knowing I was a prime target for the Red fighters and fairly deep into the conflict zone, I knew right away what had happened. I didn't get mad, it's the risk I took by not staying low and masking myself, and a lack of situational awareness.

Anyhow, as I took the opportunity to get a drink and relax while the plane re-armed back at base (after the respawn), I noticed the guy who shot me down in chat. He made a comment about "I love it when those A-10s try to be aggressive" and I couldn't help but laugh. If by "aggressive", he meant flying straight and level at 8000 ft on a bombing run with no evasive maneuvers, I am guilty as charged.

PS: I'm not complaining and did not respond in chat. There was no need to rain on his parade and it was a fair kill since I was in the combat zone. I just thought some of you other slow movers and heli pilots might relate and get a chuckle about the "aggressive" comment. ;-)

PPS: Shameless plug to donate to Mirknir's server fund!

Playing Search and Rescue in DCS is basically the equivalent of being a paramedic in a GTA game. There is always something to do and I wish it was apart of every server. Only complaint toward it is that pilots will disappear at the end of their timer regardless if a helicopter is nearby to pick them up. A friend and I were literally landing to capture an enemy pilot when they disappeared.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

i also love the server. its great to hop on do a few sorties and leave.

4 hours is sometimes really a bit short. especially because it starts at 18:00 it gets dark earlier. thats bit of a bummer with not so capable planes.

maybe you can set the mission start time to 17:00 or so that wie got a bit more time in daylight.

I'd be in favour of an extension of the server run time, it can be tricky to destroy enough ground units to spawn the secondary objectives especially if there is heavy fighter cover slowing progress down. Likewise a longer daytime period but still retaining the final hour being in dusk and eventually darkness would be good fun. I'd support an experimental period of extending the server runtime to 6 hours instead of 4, I'd be interested to see if the extended time allows more ground combat and rescue objectives on both sides to be successfully tackled.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree with Cosmic. An hour added to either side would be best in my opinion. An extra hour of daylight and an hour of semi to total darkness. NVG flying is fun, and night flying would help pilots learn their low-light sensors better. (A10, Gazelle, etc.)

after introducing some new guys yesterday i would like to have a training area in the protected zone with couple inactive vehicles to practice maverick lock on´s but this is no must have. i had a blast yesterday attacking the offshore oilfields with my A-10C.

1. i drifted off target and bombed the wrong oilfield

2. while bombing the correct one i was jumped by mig-21. the guy doesnt hit me and overshoot. he was going vertical with full burner. pulled up hard and fired 2 sidwinders the second one brought him down. :-D

3. on my way home a guy called NAVAIR was bombing the oilfield also with an A-10 and was shot down by the Mig guy who seeked revenge but it wasnt me *muhahahaha* sry NAVAIR^^

EDIT: would also vote for a 6h runnign periode and longer daytime

so maybe mission start at 16:00 so we still have the 20-22:00 phase.

Edited by 1stBEAST

after introducing some new guys yesterday i would like to have a training area in the protected zone with couple inactive vehicles to practice maverick lock on´s but this is no must have.

Both sides have a multitude of objectives in their safe zones, both defended by AI AAA and undefended. The enemy team can't touch you whilst you're hitting these objectives :thumbup:

Examples are Novo Airfield and Weapon Factory for Blue, and Oil Fields and valley artillery base for Red

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yeah i know, but at the weapons factory it can happen that the mave jumps to a building at least in the A-10A. as stated before no must have^^

@cosmic arent you that guy in the F-5 that shot down the Mirage that killed me like 3 seconds earlier couple days ago?

Hello guys!

Sorry for the long silence ; real life kept me too busy and stressed for some weeks now.

First off, thanks for the good word and compliments on the server, it means a lot and motive me for the next phases.

Also, I wanted to thank the War Dogs for helping me with forum and server customer support :megalol:

Now, some quick answers:

EDIT: would also vote for a 6h running period and longer daytime so maybe mission start at 16:00 so we still have the 20-22:00 phase.

That's what I am going for for now.

Gonna try to push this today after the maintenance.

PPS: Shameless plug to donate to Mirknir's server fund!

Thanks for the donation and the plug :D

Bonus question: is there a set of frequencies I should be tuning into on Simple Radio? I've never heard anyone talking on the default 252.00 UHF.

It's in the mission briefing :thumbup:

Playing Search and Rescue in DCS is basically the equivalent of being a paramedic in a GTA game. There is always something to do and I wish it was apart of every server. Only complaint toward it is that pilots will disappear at the end of their timer regardless if a helicopter is nearby to pick them up. A friend and I were literally landing to capture an enemy pilot when they disappeared.

I wanted to add sense of emergency to rescues with a timer after which the downed pilot get captured / run out of battery / die from his wounds / contemplates drinking his own urine and prefer to end his life - your pick.

I could make it more obvious with warnings saying "this rescue is about to fail" or yea, check if a medic is nearby and make them hold on longer :)

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

- SERVER MAINTENANCE DONE -

In Masterscript: Skynet v3.5.8

• Server duration set up to 6h
  • Updated the 'server will reset in' warnings

In Map: Open Conflict Tuapse - v3.6.3

• Play time is now from 16h to 22h
  • Weather remains unchanged ; the 1.5.7 kinda broke rain and overcast

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

Is the Tagrskiy oilfield bugged? I was attacking it with a friend Today (a10+ka). We couldnt find the last three targets even though We seached the area for a very long time. Nothing stoodnout as a target.

Vehicles was down

Rigs was down

Factories was down

Ammo buildings was down

Warehouses where down

One from me Mirknir, Cosmic, Please could we have more stations like 50 odd instead of 30? With a 6h window now, it's almost impossible to get into the server! :(

It's a really nice idea which is being considered, but it's very dependent on bandwidth availability at Mirknir's end. Mirknir will be able to give you a more precise answer but an increase to 40 might be possible as long as it doesn't max out his bandwidth. We'll have a chat about it and possibly do a test in the near future. As always the easiest way to make these things possible is to contribute to the server upkeep and donate when you can. As always link is in Mirknir's signature!

Is the Tagrskiy oilfield bugged? I was attacking it with a friend Today (a10+ka). We couldnt find the last three targets even though We seached the area for a very long time. Nothing stoodnout as a target.

Vehicles was down

Rigs was down

Factories was down

Ammo buildings was down

Warehouses where down

Did you do a skynet check to see what was left alive? Each objective has a three letter code you can use in the chatbox to display the status of the objective, including what buildings/units remain alive. Type '-ag' to get the list of objectives, then '-ag xxx' where xxx is the 3 letter code displayed in the '-ag' objective list.

Also just bare in mind that on occasion the AI vehicles will move defensively when engaged and sometimes they move into wooded areas which will make them very tricky to spot. If that happens your best bet is thermal optics, or baiting them into firing if you're brave! Hope that helps :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One from me Mirknir, Cosmic, Please could we have more stations like 50 odd instead of 30? With a 6h window now, it's almost impossible to get into the server! :(

Yea I wish I could but am limited by my current internet connection and the fact that DCS is really hungry for bandwidth.

As I am hosting a server, the bottleneck is my upload bandwidth to send all the information to my players and it is, of course, the more expensive to increase.

The server is indeed opened to donation (link in my signature) to support me and help me with the cost of hosting the server.

I am exploring other avenues / models for the next open conflict but nothing is sure yet.

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

two night in a row server has been extremly laggy

Yea since the last patch something went wrong,

I ll investigate.

Edit: something was broken in ships performance last patch.

90% of the ships in the map have been removed to decrease the lag on the server :(

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread