Open Conflict - Server Information

Mirknir

Closed Conflict

Hello guys

I have been struggling with this decision for some times now but here it is: Open Conflict is closing.

Lately, hosting the server has been feeling more and more like a chore and a source of anxiety.

I've always said I will close it when my fun runs out and it sadly did.

Hosting OC was a great experience for me and I had a ton of fun playing and discussing with you guys.

Because I would like to end on a positive note, I don't want to dwell too much on the reasons of this decision.

However, I've been told that I was bad at communicating the struggles I faced hosting OC so here is a small explanation for people interested.

• Hosting a server for a game with so many aircrafts each having diverse perks is time consuming and will become more with the addition of new aircrafts and different maps.
    I have now less free time in my life and would like to focus on some other projects.
  • Lately, DCS 1.5 has become a more stressful platform for me to develop on with more bugs, performance problems and unstabilities.
    I always have a shot of anxiety each time a patch is dropped :)
  • Hosting OC and being able to properly tests my features with every aircrafts and their diverse perks is also somehow expensive.
    The addition of buyable maps and assets packs will also increase this cost in the future.
    I was never able to secure dev licences with ED and I am thankfull for the donations I got and that allowed me to buy some aircrafts and replace the broken hardware.

On a more positive side, I wanted to thanks:

• The 26030 unique players that visited the server, at least once :) I hope you had fun.
  • The 52 unique donators that help me keep the server afloat.
  • Vyrtuoz for lending me the original computer to open the server (go buy Tacview now :smilewink:)
  • CrimsonGhost for hosting TS for me
  • Ciribob for hosting SR for me
  • Cosmicdoubloon, Bert and DustOff=3=6 for being awesome admins and advisors
  • The WarDogs clan in general for their advices and beta testings for aircrafts I don't own :)
  • Belgriffen for his help in what should have been the next OC.
  • Everyone that killed F-15Cs
  • ED for making the game :)

I am not quitting DCS and will go back to pilot my Su-27 and be one of these FC3 pilots that everyone will bash because their cockpit is not clickable :)

On a side note, even if I don't agree with all their choices, I really like where ED is bringing DCS.

DCS 2.5 with a proper dedicated server system that can host efficiently and freely on any map would be awesome :)

I know this news can be a downer for some so I will end with a quote of a famous philosopher and even more famous F15 pilots:

"I am sad that it is ending but I am happy for what it was."

-Taylor Swift

Over and out,

Edited by Mirknir
Changer SR hoster name
  • Like 1

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

Go have some fun Mirknir. You owe the community nothing, we owe you a ton.

Thank you for hosting and making OC, its been a joy to play around in :thumbup:.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Yeah had fun times saving downed pilots with my Gazelle Mistral! :D

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Mirknir, thank you very much for the hard work you put in so that a bunch of us random internet folks have a fun place to go. Open Conflict was one of our (my friends and I) favorite servers.

As I said before your personal health and enjoyment are more important. Hopefully one day you return reinvigorated once there are dedicated servers and the 2.5 merge. :)

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Thanks for the good times! Great server :)

Still my favourite day on DCS was on openconflict with the German Ww2 fighter attack on the Russian carrier!

We failed.

But it was glorious!

P.s. wasn't Moose for SRS, it was me hosting

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Thanks Mirknir, for all you have done.

I've been following this thread for a long time, reading all your posts and describing your troubles. I was always amazed at how hard you worked for the others to be able to play on your server. I know actual business that have now downtime and less support than you did :)

I only managed to log on once, but was immediately impressed by the quality and depth of what you had done.

I hope you have some good personal time ahead and do what you enjoy. In my view, you've clearly earned it.

Et parce que vous avez demandez la command en français pour la mirage, je vous souhaitez une bonne fin journee. :)

Meilleurs vœux,

David

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

i7-7700K 4.2 GHz, Gigabyte GTX 980 4Gb, Asus Prime z270k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz, Plextor PCIe SSD 256Gb, Samsung EVO 750 SSD 500Gb, 9.5TB SATA incl 4TB Mirrored. Saitek X52-Pro

Thanks for the good times Mirk! Best of luck on your future adventures, if you ever decide to come back and work on Regenisis again we’ll be waiting!

"Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil. For I am 80,000 feet and climbing." -9th SRW Det. 1 Wing Ops, Kadena AFB, Okinawa, Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-4460, 16GB of RAM, MSi GTX 970 Twin Frozr V, ASRock H97M Anniversary, 2x 1TB HDD, Fractal design Core 1100, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Corsair Vengeance K70, Razer Abyssus mouse, BenQ 1080P monitor.

OC was the first server I played on when I got DCS back in March, and was my go to from then on. Always a lot of fun. Sad to see it go, but understand why. Your time and effort is much appreciated.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Mirknir, thank you for all of the work you've put in to make a place for people who just wanted to learn the game, with a wide variety of aircraft and a nice big map with easy to find objectives. Yet there was always that pvp risk if you strayed too far. In my mind one of the best balanced servers around between PVE learning for noobs like me, and PVP battles for the more adventurous. I think there are some things you pioneered that other servers should take a look at, especially the spawn system for missions and how you included lat/long and count of units, etc. It was a good mix of providing necessary information for people but still requiring them to have a look around and develop their SA.

It's a blow to the community to not have your server on that list anymore. Best of luck and I hope you can start to enjoy the game again as a regular player!

=============================

i7 5820k | 32GB RAM | Nvidia 2070RTX | 1TB SSD

Many Thx for a great place to fly:thumbup: OC will b missed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

I'll have to add to the chorus of thanks here Mirknir. OC was my goto server for obvious reasons. You (and the friends that helped you) did a fantastic job while it lasted, and to me, your server made DCS so much better for me.

See you in the skies!!

Cruachan (a.k.a. 'Piper' in multiplayer)

Hey Mirknir,

Ill take good care of your guys that have come over to Dynamic Caucasus (your welcome anytime), I also know the crazy amounts of work firsthand in keeping a big server up (along with the babysitting).

I am almost launching my new version of Dynamic Caucasus which moves all decision making outside of DCS. The proof of concept has been working well lately and cant wait to launch it.

If you have ANY questions on the state of DCS at any time in the future let me know, Ill give you the 'this is how it is' lowdown from a popular server developer and admin lol

Also, if you had some old feature you had and would want to see on my server in the future let me know, I made dynamic caucasus to be fun firsthand, and that requires all the ideas in all the places to be considered

Anyways just wanted to let you know, take a good relaxing break, come into my server if you want for some fun (even sometimes the action gets VERY intense).

-Drex

Edited by Drexx

Developer of DDCS MP Engine, dynamicdcs.com

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208608

I will echo the sentiments of everyone here and also say thank you. Your efforts brought countless hours of enjoyment to many of us out here. Lastly, again as others have said, go have fun. Get back in the Flanker and do what you like. After all, that's what everyone is here for.

Side Note- With the closing of OC, I will be taking the TS server offline. I will leave it up and running until 12/15/17 so that those that currently use it can find new homes. I hope my little contribution to OC has helped.

Edited by CrimsonGhost
TS3 Server Closure

i7-7700K @ 5.2Ghz

SLI 1080Ti

64GB GSkill Trident Z RGB 4133

Asus Maximus IX Extreme

Custom Water Cooling Loop

TM Warthog/ MFG Crosswind

Hey Mirknir,

Ill take good care of your guys that have come over to Dynamic Caucasus (your welcome anytime), I also know the crazy amounts of work firsthand in keeping a big server up (along with the babysitting).

I am almost launching my new version of Dynamic Caucasus which moves all decision making outside of DCS. The proof of concept has been working well lately and cant wait to launch it.

If you have ANY questions on the state of DCS at any time in the future let me know, Ill give you the 'this is how it is' lowdown from a popular server developer and admin lol

Also, if you had some old feature you had and would want to see on my server in the future let me know, I made dynamic caucasus to be fun firsthand, and that requires all the ideas in all the places to be considered

Anyways just wanted to let you know, take a good relaxing break, come into my server if you want for some fun (even sometimes the action gets VERY intense).

-Drex

I know it may not be intentional but using a closing server thread to advertise for your own server may not be the most tactful.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''