Open Conflict - Server Information

Mirknir

I think the hidden medics would be a great idea. Maybe anything below a certain altitude or under certain terrain features. Maybe even a point loss or penalty system in place for killing medic choppers. Is there even a medic or air ambulance skin for huey/mi8?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

There are definitely red cross hueys...my buddy and I got shot down over the weekend flying them. :(

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Re weather, I did a flight last night and there was rain, for some reason it didn't kill the VR fps too much! I need to use the editor to test various weather fx and see what's up... This isn't consistent so your melancholic soul can continue. Funnily enough there was a real life thunderstorm so it matched the game fx ;)

Oculus CV1, i7 4790k @ stock, gtx 1080ti @ stock, 32gb PC3-19200 @ 2.4ghz, warthog & saitek pedals, razer tartarus chroma.

I am now able to generate and spawn bases with defenses, convoy, helicopter an airplane flight dynamically on the fly and my first private tests didn't reveal server problems when doing this. :thumbup:

This is really great to hear :thumbup: A lot of people who experience performance problems on the server is due simply to the sheer number of units and objects on the map. Being able to keep the map more empty by default and having objectives spawn on the fly will greatly increase performance across the board.

Because pure random is madness, I am now creating rules to control this content generation and I had an idea I wanted some feedback on.

What would you think of specific convoy with sensitive cargo to get (prisoner, sensitive data, enemy VIPS...) that you couldn't just wipe out.

You would need to kill the defenses with precision to avoid killing the sensitive cargo vehicle(s) and then, the undefended convoy would surrender and you would need to extract the cargo.

I think it could be challenging and require some teamwork to assault and extract in the same mission.

It's one of 87 other ideas I would like to try but what do you think of this one?

I think this is a really cool idea. We were chatting about this type of concept in the teamspeak the other night and it would be a great type of mission which gives the non-attack helos and props/trainers a good purpose. Also ties in to my Recon idea from a few weeks ago if you can remember it, example: There's a convoy with multiple unarmed trucks in it. One contains a VIP/friendly POWs/Kittens and the others are decoys. There's no way to tell without either A. killing the defences and then landing and deploying troops (idea being the 'decoys' would have a combination of soldiers/RPGs/MANPADs inside, when someone lands to get the VIP kittens the enemy troops would come out the trucks and a secondary infantry fight could ensue. Proximity to the convoy would rule out the mega HE weapons, forcing BRRRRRRRT or other light weapons to be employed) OR B. doing recon on the convoy and establishing the VIP truck that way, allowing you to lay waste to the rest of the convoy without the need for a secondary fight.

It could also allow for 'dynamic' balancing. If fighters are heavily stacked on one team then new SAM bases or additional AI CAP could be spawned to ensure you don't get total dominance from one side. These could then be despawned as required once the teams even out.

As we come up with more ideas I'll make additional posts :)

Also, let's say I code my own awacs, what do you think should be the rules in term of reporting?

What aircrafts should be invisible to the AWACS in addition to Medic?

What would you think of specific reporting? Standard reporting for modern fighter but more precise reporting for weaker planes?

I was thinking of using AWACS report to level somhow the playing field something like that the weaker the fighter, the more or clearer or more precise information he could get.

However I am still unsure how it would be represented. Any thoughts ?

Okay so in terms of invisible aircraft my thoughts are as follows:

Medic helicopters should ALWAYS be invisible to enemy awacs. They're choosing not to fight and it adds a layer of protection. Also (I don't know if this is something possible to code but brainstorming here) is there a way to detect when someone has locked an aircraft? I know Tacview knows when one player has locked another ready for missile launch so if that detection can be modelled using the coding then maybe a warning can be given to the locking plane when they lock a medic helo informing them it's a medic and there's repercussions to shooting him down (won't necessarily stop them but its another measure)

Any plane outside the conflict zone regardless of type should be invisible. Exception being the a plane leaving the conflict zone still shows on awacs for maybe 2 minutes so that you can't abuse running in and out of the zone to engage people whilst being invisible. Also a plane firing on a legitimate target from outside the zone loses their invisibility.

I'm not sure where I stand on the trainers and props. On one hand they have no RWR, no radar, poor/no defence against fighters (exception possibly for the hawk, has the AIM-9M which is the equal best short range a-a missile in the game, tied with the R73) and so should have a layer of protection. On the other they can be capable ground pounders and fighters if they get the jump on someone.

Maybe instead of being invisible, there could be a priority system on the AWACS. Example, if there is a blue SU-27 and a blue L39 in the conflict zone and a red fighter calls for a bogey dope, the AWACS will not tell him about the L39 until the SU27 is removed from the zone, even if the L39 is closer. If there is just the L39 in the zone, then AWACS will report it. This way they are not invisible, but AWACS will guide fighters to the higher threat presented by opposing fighters over the trainers and props.

I feel that flying nap of the earth should result in a reduced AWACS detection, but I'm not sure how that could be modelled... :huh:

I like the idea of weaker planes having better AWACS. Planes like the Mig-21, F-5 and even early non-datalink Mig-29 were historically guided all the way to a target from takeoff by either AWACS or a GCI, therefore a similar function would be good in OC. I'm not sure how you'd implement this though... maybe using either chat commands or the F10 menu you could put AWACS into 'intercept mode' for those planes and it gives regular accurate updates on the nearest enemy's position, as well as specific info such as type of aircraft (maybe not super specific, perhaps the category - example: 'ASF' - F15/SU27, 'Fighter' - Mig-29/mirage, 'Light fighter' - Mig-21/F-5, 'attacker' - SU-25/A10/Viggen. I don't think helos, trainers and props should be applicable in this 'intercept mode'. Whereas I think normal AWACS would be request only (through radio menu or chat command) the intercept mode sends information every 1 minute/ 2 minutes etc automatically to guide the fighter in, the counter of this being that the closer he gets to the target the quicker the information becomes out of date so he has to start relying on his radar or eyes once close.

The other way of doing the AWACS is to make the modern fighter version a weaker one, like an all seeing RWR. So instead of giving a BRA, it says ' 2 bandits within 20 miles, NE and E, Medium and High. 1 bandit within 10 miles, NE, Low' or something similar so that they know the general direction, altitude and distance of the enemy but will have to use their radars to do the heavy work. 'Low' could be 0-5000ft, 'Medium' could be 5001-15000ft, and 'High' 15001ft+. The AWACS should only give information on request using chat commands or the radio menu.

Lots of text so sorry for that! but just floating ideas out there for others to disagree/modify/improve/comment on. I think these are all great ideas you have Mirknir, we just gotta figure out how to implement them all AND keep everything balanced.

Edited by cosmicdoubloon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello all,

First things first: Mirknir, thank you for all the work you have done creating this! I am still relatively new to DCS (but not flight sims), and hopped on this server last night. I had a fantastic time just puttering around in my SU-25T looking for things to shoot. It's so much more fun knowing the MIG I am taxiing behind is a real player instead of AI.

I figured out to type -ag into chat to get a list of ground targets available, took off, headed to the objective, and searched for 30-45 minutes for a valley artillery station and could not for the life of me find it. Unsure as to whether I am looking for an outpost, an artillery convoy, or stationary arty vehicles, I finally had to RTB, defeated

Next I chose to hit an oil field instead (which I figured should be much easier to spot). Got to the objective area and rained hell down on some offshore platforms, and the objective bar went down by one bar, so I am assuming I was successful?

A few questions: How do I access SEAD (Anti-AAA), and convoy objectives? -ag seems to only give me ground installation targets. Also, are there pictures of the objectives anywhere so I can get a better idea of what exactly I am looking for? What do the objective bars actually mean? I took out the only two oil platforms in the area, but I only reduced the number of bars by one. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but getting these answered would be great for now.

It seems like I am probably missing a lot of features, and I cannot find anything comprehensive. I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos, but they tend to just show the action parts. Is there any kind of a guide available for newcomers? Hopefully some of you veterans can enlighten me.

Thanks! If you see an SU-25T flying around that looks it's barely staying airborne, it's probably me.

Edited by Scottvdken

In-game: Badger

I5-6600k @ 4.5 | MSI Z170A Krait | GTX 1070 G1 | 32Gb Ripjaw | Corsair H60 AIO | X-55 Rhino HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Pro Pedals

A-10 Warthog: For the times when absolutely, positively everything must die.

A10C | F/A-18C | F-14B | M2000C | AJS37 | UH1 | FC3

.......headed to the objective, and searched for 30-45 minutes for a valley artillery station and could not for the life of me find it.....

It's a booger to find. A hint, it's right at the confluence of three valleys. Use your attitude hold (ALT + 2 in the Su-25T) to start an orbit in the area, then use -ag to start triangulating.

Win 10 | i7 4770 @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR3 | 6 GB GTX1060

Hello all,

First things first: Mirknir, thank you for all the work you have done creating this! I am still relatively new to DCS (but not flight sims), and hopped on this server last night. I had a fantastic time just puttering around in my SU-25T looking for things to shoot. It's so much more fun knowing the MIG I am taxiing behind is a real player instead of AI.

I figured out to type -ag into chat to get a list of ground targets available, took off, headed to the objective, and searched for 30-45 minutes for a valley artillery station and could not for the life of me find it. Unsure as to whether I am looking for an outpost, an artillery convoy, or stationary arty vehicles, I finally had to RTB, defeated

Next I chose to hit an oil field instead (which I figured should be much easier to spot). Got to the objective area and rained hell down on some offshore platforms, and the objective bar went down by one bar, so I am assuming I was successful?

A few questions: How do I access SEAD (Anti-AAA), and convoy objectives? -ag seems to only give me ground installation targets. Also, are there pictures of the objectives anywhere so I can get a better idea of what exactly I am looking for? What do the objective bars actually mean? I took out the only two oil platforms in the area, but I only reduced the number of bars by one. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but getting these answered would be great for now.

It seems like I am probably missing a lot of features, and I cannot find anything comprehensive. I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos, but they tend to just show the action parts. Is there any kind of a guide available for newcomers? Hopefully some of you veterans can enlighten me.

Thanks! If you see an SU-25T flying around that looks it's barely staying airborne, it's probably me.

Thanks for the feedback!

Finding targets was one of the hardest part of me learning DCS :)

About the pictures, I am slowly going toward more dynamic objective so I can't do pictures as this system will become obsolete in the next Skynet where even more stuff will be dynamic.

However, you can type -ag <objectiveCodeName> to get more detailed information on a objective than just the overview given by -ag

The detailed report will tell you more about the defenses and whether the objective is a good candidate for SEAD.

The progress bar is the "HP" of the objective and killing important structure or defenses will contribute more to decreasing the bar than killing weaker or unimportant stuff.

I hope this will help

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

However, you can type -ag <objectiveCodeName> to get more detailed information on a objective than just the overview given by -ag

Ah, yes. That does help. If I can ask one more thing: It seems, at a glance, that none of the -ag objectives are inside the conflict zone. Is that correct? If so, how do I determine AG targets inside the CZ? In other words, are there additional units I can kill that are not listed in the -ag box, and if so, where are they located?

Thanks!

I5-6600k @ 4.5 | MSI Z170A Krait | GTX 1070 G1 | 32Gb Ripjaw | Corsair H60 AIO | X-55 Rhino HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Pro Pedals

Ah, yes. That does help. If I can ask one more thing: It seems, at a glance, that none of the -ag objectives are inside the conflict zone. Is that correct? If so, how do I determine AG targets inside the CZ? In other words, are there additional units I can kill that are not listed in the -ag box, and if so, where are they located?

Thanks!

That's not correct. There are objectives all around including most of them in CZ.

The name or distance/heading can help you place it on the F10 map using the ruler.

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

That's not correct. There are objectives all around including most of them in CZ.

The name or distance/heading can help you place it on the F10 map using the ruler.

Perfect. Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later. In the process of reading through all 200+ pages of this thread to kill time at work :book:

I think medic helos should not be invisible to AWACS, this is a sim after all. however I think their should a repurcussion to shooting one down. Especially with missles, like insta-spectator mode lol. If helicopters can't get shot down then might as well play single player or in the virtual aerobatics server. If their was a way to force or encourage aerial gunnery on helicopters instead that would be a better solution. Missle on a helo should call out the players name in skynet make visible to everyone and say the enemy has spawned 4 F16s now because of you. Or something along those lines :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''

I think medic helos should not be invisible to AWACS, this is a sim after all.

It just means the AWACS/GCI won't actively dispatch fighters to end medic helicopters ; I am not sure that's too far fetched from reality.

If helicopters can't get shot down then might as well play single player or in the virtual aerobatics server.

That's not what it means.

Medic helicopters will still have plenty of threats to deal with. They will still be engaged by AIs and can still be found on radar and killed by players.

In my new design, the battlefield reports will also be fuzzier meaning between fog og war, last known position and recon, you might not have a clear view on what's out there.

however I think their should a repurcussion to shooting one down. Especially with missles, like insta-spectator mode lol.

Even if you might joke, I've seen this a lot... adding more penalty.

For me, designing around penalties is just bad design.

This should be the last resort and when I go to get coffee and get stab in the face, it doesn't make me feel that much better to know that maybe the guy will be punished.

Penalty should be used to punish people for very specific acts that they have the tool to avoid doing.

Identify each target visually to know if it's a medic is just not feasible or is it?

For example, the empty fuel tanks for FC3 aircrafts is, for me, a bad design answer for a real problem.

I intend to fix it with a different Skynet or map design.

Missle on a helo should call out the players name in skynet make visible to everyone and say the enemy has spawned 4 F16s now because of you. Or something along those lines :D

Public shame is another form of penalty :)

If their was a way to force or encourage aerial gunnery on helicopters instead that would be a better solution.

I could also report using the standard bogey, bandit, hostile, buddy denomination and add a medic status.

Bogey: contact without ID

Bandit: enemy contact no clearance to fire

Hostile: enemy contact weapon's free

Buddy: friendly contact

Medic: enemy or friendly medic (need to pay attention)

Then if you mistakenly kill one, especially with missile, you are in the wrong and could suffer some penalty.

I am still not sure it will be enough tho as people really like to shoot everything reported :music_whistling: and it ca be a very weird and unrealistic rule to understand.

Shooting with gun is ok but with missile, it's not? I don't know.

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

I know this has been discussed before, but I was curious if any method to control team balance is being thought of? If it is even possible.....

Last night, it was 17 vs 7. Makes it nearly impossible to run AG missions in the CZ. -CLS status was 6 enemy planes vs 2 friendlies.

Does DCS not offer the ability to limit player counts on each team to 15? Just curious. Also, to those of you that love blue so much, why?

What is the I.P. of the server if it doesn't appear in the browser for some reason?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

And have you made a decision concerning the Viggen and implementing Target waypoints for it (In order for the pilots to get the correct QFE settings).

I am not sure what are my options with the open world design of OC.

I can't just put waypoints on each of the 20+ possible objectives.

There are no ways of entering your own waypoints like in other planes?

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

Sure you can input your own coordinates and they will be as precise as the nav sys it can get but the major problem will be the QFE Setting wich we'd have to guess unless someone here knows how to calculate the QFE...

-K

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

Do a viggen road landing near the target area re set t your altimeter and now you have QFE

Or Mirknir can set non dynamic weather and you can get QNH at your departure airport then calculate your QFE for the whole map

The major reason I think the viggen is over hyped for DCS is because it's not that practical, it relies entirely on pre planned coordinates done on the ground well before jumping into the cockpit. Makes it difficult for the ever changing revolving open world of DCS online multiplayer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

Or rather mirk can have a pdf of all the t/as and their respective coordinates both in lat/long, MGRS and associated elevation/qnh/qfe

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

Or rather mirk can have a pdf of all the t/as and their respective coordinates both in lat/long, MGRS and associated elevation/qnh/qfe

He actually already does in skynet when you type up the objective your looking for.