Open Conflict - Server Information

Mirknir

Just did a sortie from the Blue Viggen Road base and it worked just fine.

The Aircraft started on the grass so had to use the afterburner to get onto the Road.

Takeoff was easy enough as while the road was not perfect it was long enough so no problem there.

So all in all good work =) gonna do more road base flying tomorrow followed by Re-arming at the nearby farp (you could place a Farp at the Roadbase for Re-Arming as well maby? just park it close enough to where you can taxi the Viggen to where it touches the Farp and it should apparently be possible to Re-Arm.

One down side with using Road bases ingame though

(just how the Viggen is Set up) is that you wont be able to Set up the Navigation system correctly.

Since one cant feed the starting location/airfield into the nav computer it does not know where you are.

That can be fixed if one lands to re-arm at a proper airfield (and just set it as the starting airfield before starting off).

But due to there being no default road base locations on the map there is no way around this problem.

Not a major problem though as on this server you mostly rely on Skynet to find the targets anyway.

So thanks for this addition and im looking forward to doing some more "testing" tomorrow =>.

Thanks for the report!

Yea it's a hack I did so I was expecting problems :)

I will put them more on the road but I don't want to put a huge FARP nearby for people to try to hump against it in the hope of rearming :) That's just weird and dangerous.

I hope that, at some point, ED will add proper improvised airfield and even if "Grass Field" was super bugged, I think it could be that.

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

I think this is a really cool idea. We were chatting about this type of concept in the teamspeak the other night and it would be a great type of mission which gives the non-attack helos and props/trainers a good purpose. Also ties in to my Recon idea from a few weeks ago if you can remember it

Yea I would like to add the concept of fog of war in the information displayed thru Skynet.

By default an enemy base could only be known as defended or not and a recon would need to be done to have the composition of the base in the detailed report.

I want to also add the concept of last known position and defenses and for transport missions to recover encrypted data pack on enemy wrecks to refresh your coalition knowledge of the battlefield.

Even if it requires some work, all this is pretty easy to do.

However, I am not sure how the recon mechanic would exactly work and if I would need to give a "bonus"' of recon to some planes to give them more importance in this role.

An A10c flying over a target and getting fired upon is doing recon in a sense.

Should helicopters and trainers have special recon tricks? Like maybe dropping spies "nearby" that would then infiltrate enemy bases and give information about them.

It could also allow for 'dynamic' balancing. If fighters are heavily stacked on one team then new SAM bases or additional AI CAP could be spawned to ensure you don't get total dominance from one side. These could then be despawned as required once the teams even out.

Because the balance of forces can change in two shakes of a lamb's tail ; I would like to have the dynamic balancing not go crazy with spawning because of the potential despawning that can then happens.

Strange, I had not performance issue spawning but a lot despawning.

And I also fill like despawning units is a bit too artificial.

Is there a way to detect when someone has locked an aircraft? I know Tacview knows when one player has locked another ready for missile launch so if that detection can be modelled using the coding then maybe a warning can be given to the locking plane when they lock a medic helo informing them it's a medic and there's repercussions to shooting him down

Yea it's possible for me to track what radars are looking at but even if I access the same information than tacview (and in fact more - because I use host-only functions), I have the constraint of parsing and analyzing them in real time so I am not sure what this will add in terms of process as the current Skynet is not doing any of this.

However, I like the idea and tracking what radar sees what could help me do a better CGI/AWACS system.

I ll try to do this this week.

The other way of doing the AWACS is to make the modern fighter version a weaker one, like an all seeing RWR. So instead of giving a BRA, it says ' 2 bandits within 20 miles, NE and E, Medium and High. 1 bandit within 10 miles, NE, Low' or something similar so that they know the general direction, altitude and distance of the enemy but will have to use their radars to do the heavy work. 'Low' could be 0-5000ft, 'Medium' could be 5001-15000ft, and 'High' 15001ft+.

Yea I feel that could also be part of the dynamic balancing ; overly powerful team will get degraded information explained by the communication channels overloading :)

Lots of text so sorry for that! but just floating ideas out there for others to disagree/modify/improve/comment on. I think these are all great ideas you have Mirknir, we just gotta figure out how to implement them all AND keep everything balanced.

No problemo, I really appreciate the feedback and the ideas ; will make the next Open Conflict even better.

I just need a bit more time to respond especially when a new patch drops :)

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

One note about atleast the Blue Viggens that start from the Road base.

They are unable to contact Awacs etc.

(Those that start From Krymsk are fine)

No Radio Presets?

Dont know if the same it true for the Red side.

Yea it would be too simple if every aircraft would have the same default frequencies :)

I forgot to put the AWACS freq for these on ground.

Are they easier to use not that they are on the road instead of the evil grass?

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

WWII Spit Mk IX : Takeoff from Grass ?

I have the Spit down pretty good taking off from a concrete runway.

On the grass parking, not a commercial or military runway, is the intent to takeoff from the grass or the road?

If taking off from the grass field, I have some learning to do...

Also, noticed Fw 190 is parked on the grass and a nice long grass field.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yea it would be too simple if every aircraft would have the same default frequencies :)

I forgot to put the AWACS freq for these on ground.

Are they easier to use not that they are on the road instead of the evil grass?

Yea now that they are on the road there is no problem at all =).

I have the Spit down pretty good taking off from a concrete runway.

On the grass parking, not a commercial or military runway, is the intent to takeoff from the grass or the road?

If taking off from the grass field, I have some learning to do...

Also, noticed Fw 190 is parked on the grass and a nice long grass field.

I am not sure I understand all the questions but here is some context.

I added the concept of ALG (Advanced Launching Ground) to Open Conflict and added one for each side with planes 'OnGround'.

This is a hack I created so not every planes will work 'OnGround' ; for now the WWII planes and the Viggens seems to be ok.

Planes have a default payload, cant rearm or refuel.

Some are HOT because they would need electrical power to start and the FARP electric power trucks don't work with planes.

Planes are parked on the grass or on the road.

You can try to take off from grass or road depending on what the aircraft supports (seems like the Viggens is allergic to grass while the P51 really don't mind it)

There is no intent in terms of where you need to take off.

The only design intent is to bring to players, the fantasy of improvised airfields and bring some slower planes closer to the action. :thumbup:

I hope that soon, ED and third parties will support officially this feature and will add airplanes refueling and rearming from trucks

In the meantime, you guys are stuck with my hack and its restrictions :pilotfly:

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

Well, we are also trying out our own hacks to rearm the viggen in the field, with succes!

The ground handling allows you to get out of the superglue grass by either using the mighty afterburner to kinda sink your front wheel into the ground and get going, or slam your tail on the grass by using the reverse thrust.

Pictures here!

Well, we are also trying out our own hacks to rearm the viggen in the field, with succes!

The ground handling allows you to get out of the superglue grass by either using the mighty afterburner to kinda sink your front wheel into the ground and get going, or slam your tail on the grass by using the reverse thrust.

Pictures here!

Yes in the map, I intend to merge ALG into the FOBs.

Right now, I am adding capturable airfield and FARP in the next skynet.

Airfields are OK but FARP needing outside structures to work is a bit trickier since these outside structures have a coalition that don't change.

I will do more tests and research to see what I can do apart from spawning / respawning these structures.

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

(re : Message #2315)

When I joined your server's plane slot was as to ground start for the Spit 9 and Fw 190; both planes are parked in the grass next to a road. There is no airstrip.

Only question is, I am assuming takeoff is supposed to be using the grass field? Alternative is a very precision straight down the road takeoff.

I tried taking off in the Spit a few times in the grass without success, but I will keep trying until I succeed.

A grass airstrip is fine with me. Wish other servers did it, too.

Thanks for the reply #2315 .

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Only question is, I am assuming takeoff is supposed to be using the grass field? Alternative is a very precision straight down the road takeoff.

I created the ground spawn near straigh-ish road so that it's still easier than the grass because the grass, in DCS, can easily be your enemy.

In the next map, I will include these ground spawns in the initial design so that they work better.

Blue slots are the easiest because they have a nice road.

Red ones are the more difficult because the road is a bit more tricky.

Because I don't own a lot of aircrafts, all I can say is that I managed to take off from both roads in a P51 :)

I've seen people also succeed in other aircrafts with a road take off but Red ground slots are definitely more challenging :)

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

I see some good-looking terrain mods floating around, particularly Barthek's terrain/ground texture mod. Are mods like these allowed on the server?

In-game: Badger

I5-6600k @ 4.5 | MSI Z170A Krait | GTX 1070 G1 | 32Gb Ripjaw | Corsair H60 AIO | X-55 Rhino HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Pro Pedals

A-10 Warthog: For the times when absolutely, positively everything must die.

A10C | F/A-18C | F-14B | M2000C | AJS37 | UH1 | FC3

What's with the newly spawned aircraft having 0 to 30% of fuel loaded?

That was the case with a lot of the FC3 aircraft I flew on Red side yesterday. Spent a lot of time staring at the screen while the fuel was pumped in. :huh:

Hadn't played in months, so I'm not sure if it's intended or ..?

What's with the newly spawned aircraft having 0 to 30% of fuel loaded?

That was the case with a lot of the FC3 aircraft I flew on Red side yesterday. Spent a lot of time staring at the screen while the fuel was pumped in. :huh:

Hadn't played in months, so I'm not sure if it's intended or ..?

It's meant to balance out the fact that the FC3 aircraft can be in the air in a matter of less than a minute. This forces you to at least spend some time on the ground to compensate for the lack of any start-up procedures.

I5-6600k @ 4.5 | MSI Z170A Krait | GTX 1070 G1 | 32Gb Ripjaw | Corsair H60 AIO | X-55 Rhino HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Pro Pedals

I wonder if it would be a problem to use different skins on red and blue aircraft. I don't have all the modules, but I think most come with more than one skin. Since getting the viggen I've had a problem of identifying enemy aircraft. With this plane I only engage WVR so it would be a big help. I actually prefer the bare metal skin for the viggen, but would rather have different skins between the sides then the one I prefer.

Would this be a problem for the server? Does everyone else have a skin preference?

Love the server btw! Greta job. Many hours of enjoyment.

I wonder if it would be a problem to use different skins on red and blue aircraft. I don't have all the modules, but I think most come with more than one skin. Since getting the viggen I've had a problem of identifying enemy aircraft. With this plane I only engage WVR so it would be a big help. I actually prefer the bare metal skin for the viggen, but would rather have different skins between the sides then the one I prefer.

Would this be a problem for the server? Does everyone else have a skin preference?

I usually use US / West country skins for blue and Russia / UR / East country skins for red.

I should say "when possible" because first, not all aircrafts have many different skins and sometimes, I don't own the module so I don't have all the skins either.

I know, for me, the viggen that I don't own have 2 skins so I put bare on red and M90 on blue.

WWII planes are also sometimes hard to identify as a US skin for a german plane can just be a german skin with a US flag painted on it :)

Some skins have been added since I created the map so I might do a pass on them but it's not like I can put all red aircrafts with a big red flag on it and blue with a big blue flags :)

Love the server btw! Greta job. Many hours of enjoyment.

Thanks for this, sometimes, the positive feedback is lost in the all the requests but it means a lot to me that people have fun :)

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

I know, for me, the viggen that I don't own have 2 skins so I put bare on red and M90 on blue.

There is one Red Viggen with the Green Camo though.

the Nr.1 Viggen (#243 ) at Sochi has the Green Splinter Camo and not the Metal/silver.

Its a minor thing but if people rely on Skins to ID it might be good to fix it =P.

I mainly use the map for ID.

If i see an aircraft infront of me and i think it is hostile i just Open up the Map.

If there is no Friendly in that area i go for it as then it has to be hostile.

It's meant to balance out the fact that the FC3 aircraft can be in the air in a matter of less than a minute. This forces you to at least spend some time on the ground to compensate for the lack of any start-up procedures.

But the Mirage can also be in the air in seconds. In fact all fighters can.

/да бойз/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mirknir, I'm just curious. What would it take to be able to get the server to a point where more than 31 slots can be available? Is it a question of hardware? Seems that lately the server is always either full or close to it.