Engine spool-up time

GC1993

Before I start, I just want to make it clear I am not in any way accusing ED/Belsimtek of modelling the F-15 engines wrong in any way, nor would I have any grounds to as I know virtually nothing on the subject.

However......

Do we know how accurately modelled the spool up/down phase is in the F-15's engines with the AFM?

Was doing a mission today, sitting on the runway at idle throttle not moving, put the throttle to max AB in one quick motion and playing the track back, it took more than 5 SECONDS for the burners to come on. I checked what my control inputs were doing with the ctrl + enter view and I'd throttled up very quickly, though it took ages to respond. This is something I've noticed for ages now with the eagle but only really thought about speaking up today after visit number 58392068392004 to RAF Lakenheath.....

When I watch the eagles in real life at the base, they'll be sitting at idle just like me, then you hear them gun the engines up to max and it takes maybe a second maximum for the burners to blast out of the back. Why such a difference between real life and in game?

Would different conditions e.g. temperature and airfield altitude instigate a difference in spool up times of 4 seconds?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks

G

yeap

that, and how quickly rpm responds to throttle position at the low end - seems very sluggish

getting off the throttle, out of AB, is also important - think IRCM, when you want to minimize your IR signature

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yeap

that, and how quickly rpm responds to throttle position at the low end - seems very sluggish

getting off the throttle, out of AB, is also important - think IRCM, when you want to minimize your IR signature

idle to mill power should be around 2 seconds according to my SME...

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.

Before I start, I just want to make it clear I am not in any way accusing ED/Belsimtek of modelling the F-15 engines wrong in any way, nor would I have any grounds to as I know virtually nothing on the subject.

However......

Do we know how accurately modelled the spool up/down phase is in the F-15's engines with the AFM?

Was doing a mission today, sitting on the runway at idle throttle not moving, put the throttle to max AB in one quick motion and playing the track back, it took more than 5 SECONDS for the burners to come on. I checked what my control inputs were doing with the ctrl + enter view and I'd throttled up very quickly, though it took ages to respond. This is something I've noticed for ages now with the eagle but only really thought about speaking up today after visit number 58392068392004 to RAF Lakenheath.....

When I watch the eagles in real life at the base, they'll be sitting at idle just like me, then you hear them gun the engines up to max and it takes maybe a second maximum for the burners to blast out of the back. Why such a difference between real life and in game?

Would different conditions e.g. temperature and airfield altitude instigate a difference in spool up times of 4 seconds?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks

G

Were you watching F-15E's at RAF Lakenheath? The 229 responds to thrust inputs much faster than the 220.

Its 7 seconds vs. 4 seconds to maximum thrust according to: http://www.f-15e.info/joomla/technology/engines/101-engines

You can probably expect those DEECs to have been upgraded ... there are lot of 'little' changes that happen without public visibility.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

You can probably expect those DEECs to have been upgraded ... there are lot of 'little' changes that happen without public visibility.

I don't doubt that. I should've been more clear. The 220/229's on the F-15E's at RAF Lakenheath spool faster compared to the 220 modeled in DCS.