Thrustmaster T16000m Switch Mod

Kozmyk

A grand title for adding a couple of switch buttons to the handle of the T16000m joystick.

The plan grew while putting a graphic together for my control layout:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=145266

I was originally only going to add one switch but Sokol1_br came up with the Pinkie Switch mod idea.

Credit where it's due :smilewink:

The switches are wired in parallel with Buttons 12 and 13; the two most in accessible buttons on the right hand switch panel.

Electrically it's a very simple idea but the whole stick has to come apart to run the wiring through.

There are some pitfalls to avoid that I discovered earlier during an exploratory investigation, that's why I recorded the videos. :prop:

For those who might like to see the inside of a T16000 here is the video recording I made while doing the mods; Parts 1 & 2.

They might also be of use to someone who can't sleep ... :bored::sleep:

YouTube Part 1:

YouTube Part 2:

Why all this fuss and bother? You may ask.

Well...

After using the Thrustmaster HOTAS X for years, happily I might add, what I really missed after I changed over to the Thrustmaster T16000 on the stick side was the forefinger switch.

I can see why TM put Button 3 where they did, left hand capability and all that, but it's not so useful way over there in right handed mode.

This Really made itself felt when I got into DCS.

Plus...

Using a combination button press for Pinky Stick Switch was also getting tedious.

Why not just get a TH Hotas Warthog?

See "Reclining Cockpit" on the first linked thread .. :pilotfly:

A-10C Warthog - Control Layout - Modded Stick

This layout might change. I'll see when I get used to it.

A-10C Warthog - Bindings - Modded Stick

(https://www.dropbox.com/s/avkt89i0sjrxtaa/DCS_A-10C_Warthog_Combined_modded.html?dl=0)

F-15C Eagle - Control Layout - Modded Stick

F-15C Bindings - Modded Stick

(https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd0mdqzhysd9d8x/DCS_F-15C_Combined_Modded.html?dl=0)

Some pics of the finished product.

T16000_Front.JPGT16000_Front.JPG?dl=0

Addendum

After about 6 months, the Master Mode button started being unreliable so I mounted a button (TACT Switch) like the one I used on the Pinkie Switch.

Although it looks more delicate it has a positive switching action and has lasted a year now.

T16000_Oblique.JPG

T16000_Rear_Right.JPG

Edited by Kozmyk
Damned ISP closed all webspace :(

OS:Win10 Home CPU:i7 3770K 3.5(@4.3GHz) COOLER:ZalmanCNPS10X-PERFORMA MOBO:GigabyteGA-Z77X-UD5H SSD#1:SamsungEVO850Pro 500GB SSD#2:SanDisk240GB HDD:2x Seagate2TB GFX:GigabyteGTX670 WF3 2GB OC1058MHz RAM:16GB 16000MHz DDR3 KEYB'Ds:Corsair K95/MS SidewinderX4 MOUSE:LogitechG700s MON:2x ASUS 24” ROUTER:ASUS RT-N66U DarkKnight INTERWEBS:Fibre152Mbps/12Mbps JOYSTICK:TM T16000m Modded THROTTLE:TM TWCS HEADTRACK:TrackIR5Pro

That first one is a very tidy job. Not sure I'd want to crowd the head like that though.

That lever job is excellent work.

I might consider that CMS button idea.

OS:Win10 Home CPU:i7 3770K 3.5(@4.3GHz) COOLER:ZalmanCNPS10X-PERFORMA MOBO:GigabyteGA-Z77X-UD5H SSD#1:SamsungEVO850Pro 500GB SSD#2:SanDisk240GB HDD:2x Seagate2TB GFX:GigabyteGTX670 WF3 2GB OC1058MHz RAM:16GB 16000MHz DDR3 KEYB'Ds:Corsair K95/MS SidewinderX4 MOUSE:LogitechG700s MON:2x ASUS 24” ROUTER:ASUS RT-N66U DarkKnight INTERWEBS:Fibre152Mbps/12Mbps JOYSTICK:TM T16000m Modded THROTTLE:TM TWCS HEADTRACK:TrackIR5Pro

Settling in with the new buttons now.

Swapped some of the binds about, both for single plane ergonomics and for keeping a bit of continuity betweens plane setups; to save on reprogramming the old muscle memory

I've updated the layout graphics with a proper front view showing both buttons. In the first post links.

Learned a hell of a lot about using GIMP doing these :smartass:.

When I came to do the second layout I realised I had anchored most of the pieces onto the back layer.... WRONG!!!! :chair:

Had to rebuild and learn to layer and mask and stuff ... boiled my brain a bit.

Old dog, new tricks and all that.

Any...ways, I've got a system now where doing new charts should be easy...ERRrr

Time to get down to some flying and stop mucking about I reckon. :joystick:

• 3 years later...

Roelio,

This gimbal mod was done by Russian guy who posted this picture in il2.sturmovik.ru forum. I link the picture in this topic for illustrate add buttons in T.16000M.

Is a kind of machined "ball joint" and has no springs, the stick is not used as main stick, but as 2nd in "HOSAS" setup. He don't post more info about the gimbal.