my DIY UH-1H collective for DCS

tacca

Hey guys,

Im a member of the online 229th Battalion. We have a really good bunch of guys over there and as part of a project I made a DIY collective controller and will be creating a how to for them.

It cost me about $270 AUD to make with all single run costs. If people get together and order the 3D printed head and anodised button panels together you would be able to get it down to around $200 AUD. I know its still a fair bit for people and it was for me as well; Im a full time uni student working part time. If anyone has suggestions on how to make it cheaper Im all ears.

It uses a teensy 3.1 micro controller for the interface with a full custom HID descriptor and coding. A hall sensor is used on the primary access with code for 16 bit resolution which means an 12-13 bit effective resolution (remove usb etc noise) for 30 degrees range of movement. That means 0.004 of a degree resolution, it feels buttery smooth in sim

Im currently writing a full How to and putting it up on the 229th forums so check that out if you want more details

Anyways, everyone likes eye candy.

Collective-1097.jpg

Collective-1089.jpg

Collective-1088.jpg

Collective-1090.jpg

Edited by tacca
fixed images

That looks really good, absolutely love it.

I plan on offering something like that, complete, sometime when im done with the A-10C.

But for now, If people are interested, i can offer 3D printning service, if they provide the STL files, because i have not even looked into the details of the huey collective yet.

Is yours the original dimensions?

Keep up the good work.

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

Great job!

What did you use for swivel mechanism on the collective shaft? Hydraulic or pneumatic jacks or cylinders? friction screws?

I have my Ka-50 collective already done but I can't figure out a way to force it to stay where I want it before the switches box weight makes it drop all the way down

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

That is really quite an excellent build. Well done. :thumbup: I was looking at your Flickr site...those bearings you have should make it feel just fabulous.

What are you using to control the friction? Is it that black plastic component on the side? Are you planning to back light the control panel?

I've been keeping an eye out for collectives as I intend to build a UH-1 cockpit when my A10 is complete.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

collective Q's and more pics

First off, thanks for all the love :pilotfly: yep im pretty happy with it.

That looks really good, absolutely love it.

But for now, If people are interested, i can offer 3D printning service, if they provide the STL files, because i have not even looked into the details of the huey collective yet.

Keep up the good work.

Hey, what printer do you have and what material do you use. This was done using PLA on a makerbot replicator 2 at medium res and it still turned out great.

Great job!

What did you use for swivel mechanism on the collective shaft? ....

I have my Ka-50 collective already done but I can't figure out a way to force it to stay where I want it before the switches box weight makes it drop all the way down

I use an adjustable friction clamp made of delrin/acetal (acetal is the dupont brand name). Its almost like a plastic chopping block but with a more consistent level of friction. Even with my not so perfect main axle its super smooth and if I crank up the tightness i can lift the whole unit and supports of the ground without it moving :)

I got a couple blocks from here http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/gentoolco?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754

my first version was only about 12mm thick and worked fine but the current one is about 26mm thick which is shown bellow

Collective-1095.jpg

Very interested in the mechanism for the throttle. Let us know when that tutorial is up.

Will do, dont have pics of the throttle mech ATM because its not very pretty for a prototype but works. also just need to add some bushes at the bottom of the throttle twist grip for a little bit more friction. Might have the pics tomorrow

That is really quite an excellent build. Well done. :thumbup: I was looking at your Flickr site...those bearings you have should make it feel just fabulous.

What are you using to control the friction? Is it that black plastic component on the side? Are you planning to back light the control panel?

Yeah the bearings make it feel great, also made assembly easier not having to make pillow blocks or mounts myself. They are also self aligning so if you mounting holes are a little off it still works smooth as butter :)

Yes, as above the black bit is the friction device. very basic but jeez it works great. When I saw someone else do it on a DIY i thought it might be bit a bit rough but it isn't. I have now also seen it used in $5000 plus home heli cockpits and they swear by it.

here is a couple more pics and this is a link to the whole album so far

Collective-1094.jpg

[imghttp://damienstpierre.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Collective-1093.jpg[/img]

Collective-1098.jpg

Edited by tacca

Hey guys

As far as I believe its a pretty close approximation. It might be out a few mm here and there but its close, alot of different forum searching went into it for some specs but there isnt anything really definitive out there.

Some more pics as asked for. Should be able to click on them and take you to full size pics

th_Collective-1100.jpg

The throttle mech works by having a screw run through the outer cylinder into a potentiometer that is mounted to the main inner shaft using a small right angle bracekt. The travel distance is set by how much of the main shaft is cut away. I believe the real thing is 210 degrees but ive got about 190 at the moment and its fine.

Collective-1102.jpg

Collective-1103.jpg

Collective-1107.jpg

Collective-1104.jpg

Collective-1106.jpg

Edited by tacca
fixed images

• 2 years later...

here are some more ideas for home brew collective and cyclic. :music_whistling:

This is a work in progress however works a treat.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

too bad the pics are not available anymore...i am about to build a collective and was hoping to find some easy why of doing it so...

Hey, go to http://www.damienstpierre.com where I have updated the pictures and files. I will update this post in the next couple of days as well when I finish my uni intensive

• Like 1

Excellent job just wish I had more places for more switches on my puma it only has room for two Moore which gives you 6 more. Options but four more would allow me to hook up a four way hat switch the only way I can see that is using two of the free axis for a four way hat.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Excellent job just wish I had more places for more switches on my puma it only has room for two Moore which gives you 6 more. Options but four more would allow me to hook up a four way hat switch the only way I can see that is using two of the free axis for a four way hat.

You could add a separate but attached little button box and a controller card. Add a hatswitch or two, another couple of momentaries, strap it on to the sides.

Build it out of 1.5mm plastic-card. Add a cable channel bracketed to the main stick, put your controller board behind the collective pivot, plug it in to USB. Tada!

Puma-collective-add-on.thumb.jpg.ce7dfc9c5523a9e068926899aa9c81c3.jpg

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

I thought of something similar but I’m trying to figure it out without having to add a usb board the principal would be the same but using the available connections on the hosts board. It has three a is and two buttons available for use if two of the axis canbeused bay hat switch the third could be used as my hand rudder and I have two switches more to boot. I will not be able to try anything unp;TIL I get home where my hardware is their that work finding a housing would be needed

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
OP please provide update and answer questions in this thread

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what questions you are referring to that I haven't answered in previous posts.

Edited by tacca

• 1 month later...
Very nice project tacca.Att Laser etched button panels the pdf file is missing.If you can take a look

Hey, I have updated the links on the website so you can now get the pdf and .stl (3d print) files