What module to gift and how?

Kingwood

I convinced a friend to try DCS and wanted to gift him a WW2 module and one "modern" module, together with a TrackIR4. He currently plays War Thunder in "realistic" mode. :music_whistling:

Seeing as both the Bf109 and D-9 Dora are still in beta and the damage models appear to be quite wonky, I'm still deciding on whether I should wait a bit until this is fixed. Some input is preferred regarding this. I don't want to get him into DCS and then quit playing due to bugs and a bad damage model.

I also wanted to gift him one other module; I love the Mig-21bis module from LNS, but would prefer gifting him a western jet or a helicopter. How is the quality of the modules from VEAO? Any opinions on what module to gift?

Last question is how I can gift the modules to him if I buy them from the DCS website.

Cheers!

Edited by Kingwood

Maybe just ease him into it with Flaming Cliffs 3 (or something from it) since he's coming from Shi... War Thunder?

I guess A-10C is the obvious choice for modern jet since it has the most content, training and mission wise, though.

As for WW2... I dunno, I think I'd skip that for now. Not a lot to do with those modules as of yet.

How about a helo instead? :)

I think he should try the free TF-51D and if he likes it you should get him the P-51.

If not you should probably try the Dora, IMO it flies well.

As for the modern one:

While I like both the Hawk and the C-101 I can't recommend those because some basic stuff isn't working there yet.

I would either try FC3 which isn't too far of a step from War Thunder I guess, so he can try the F-15C for air to air and the simple A-10A

Or you could just get him the A-10C and blow his mind. :D

(at least if he is into air to ground)

If you want to hook him on DCS I would give the Black shark... Definitely my favorite and the one that started it all for me... (But only if he has the hardware.. Rudder pedals essential..

:thumbup:

The Ka-50 is awesome but the trim and autopilot channels will either make him love it or throw his computer out the window :D

For me the Fw190 D9, even still in beta, is pretty much finished and ready for delivery :-)

I like the p51d a lot, but my preferred module is the Dora.

Knowing very little about ww2 machines ( War machines aren't really my cup of tea... ), I actually became a fan of the two German fighters, the Bf109 and the Fw190, for the sophistication, for their time, of the systems they used which contributed to leave a lot more "brain processing power" for the pilot to concentrate on the combat, rather than on managing the various, sometimes complex, systems involved in flying those machines.

The Bf109 K4 will certainly become a finished product, and there are at least two items promised for the next upgrades, namely, tuning of climb rates and control forces with increasing dynamic pressure.

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Thanks for your replies!

Currently considering the A-10C and Flaming Cliffs 3 (which I have and like). He's a huge Bf109 fan, so will get him that module, although the wonky damage model worries me a bit.

How would I go about gifting him modules on the website and not on Steam?

Also, does anyone know whether DCS will have a sale soon? I'm actually planning to get most of the modules next time, and would love combining it with the gift for my buddy.

see my signature :D

anyway, he should indeed try the TF-51D as aginor said, and the question remains: what control systems does he have?

Edited by Roadrunner
typo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

gifting:

he needs to register at ED page, then tell you his login name.

you have to go into your account on ED page and check the key's you want to gift, there is an option field then "Bind to another user with login"

type his login name in and apply.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

The simple answer is whichever aircraft he is most interested in. Although FC3 may appeal to the average Warthunder player quite nicely. As for WW2, well the P-51d is my personal favourite so far, the 190 is the only DCS module I really don't like, and I own them all (C-101 aside)

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

In terms of modern western aircraft I would avoid Aviodev, Veao etc. Get him finsihed and fleshed out products, god knows how long these products will still be stuck in developement.

I'd get him the F-15C eagle, it's a good middle step between arcade sims and full clickable DCS cockpits.

Everyone love such iconic shapes and it's only a couple of dollars when on sale, or about 10 otherwise.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

gifting:

he needs to register at ED page, then tell you his login name.

you have to go into your account on ED page and check the key's you want to gift, there is an option field then "Bind to another user with login"

type his login name in and apply.

If He isn't a registered user setting up his account purchasing the modules under that account is a lot easier. That is how I gifted to a friend who wasn't a part of the community at the time. Fewer steps involved.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

I have all the modules except the two trainers (yes, even CA). I recommend skipping WW2 entirely at this time. DCS is an absolutely terrible WW2 sim, so terrible that I don't consider it a WW2 sim at all. The reasons for that judgement are obvious, the total lack of content and atrocious damage modeling. I see no reason to scare him off with that nonsense, give him a look at what DCS does well instead.

So with that mind, the gems in DCS at this time are the Ka-50, A-10C, MiG-21Bis and F-15C. I think these best show what DCS can give. Of those, I don't think the A-10C is suitable for novices but the rest are fine. I also disagree with those who claim the Ka-50 requires rudder pedals. I've been playing BS1/2 since it first came out on DVD and didn't get rudder pedals till a few months ago. A twist stick is just fine.

I would advise against the two current trainers as they are using SFM. SFM is not characteristic of DCS or modern flight sims in general. SFM is unacceptable for 2015 or even 2010. They never should have been released in their current state. If you really want to get him a trainer, wait a month for the L-39 or give him a MiG-15 or F-86. The two Korean birds are of similar complexity to a trainer but also first rate fighters within their appropriate time frame. But they suffer from a lack of content and overly coarse damage model just like the WW2 planes.

I have all the modules except the two trainers (yes, even CA). I recommend skipping WW2 entirely at this time. DCS is an absolutely terrible WW2 sim, so terrible that I don't consider it a WW2 sim at all. The reasons for that judgement are obvious, the total lack of content and atrocious damage modeling. I see no reason to scare him off with that nonsense, give him a look at what DCS does well instead.

So with that mind, the gems in DCS at this time are the Ka-50, A-10C, MiG-21Bis and F-15C. I think these best show what DCS can give. Of those, I don't think the A-10C is suitable for novices but the rest are fine. I also disagree with those who claim the Ka-50 requires rudder pedals. I've been playing BS1/2 since it first came out on DVD and didn't get rudder pedals till a few months ago. A twist stick is just fine.

I would advise against the two current trainers as they are using SFM. SFM is not characteristic of DCS or modern flight sims in general. SFM is unacceptable for 2015 or even 2010. They never should have been released in their current state. If you really want to get him a trainer, wait a month for the L-39 or give him a MiG-15 or F-86. The two Korean birds are of similar complexity to a trainer but also first rate fighters within their appropriate time frame. But they suffer from a lack of content and overly coarse damage model just like the WW2 planes.

The damage model is what I am worried about actually. I do want to get him a WW2 module, as he loves WW2 fighter planes. I assume content changes and updates to the damage model will happen after DCS 1.5 is released?

The damage model is what I am worried about actually. I do want to get him a WW2 module, as he loves WW2 fighter planes. I assume content changes and updates to the damage model will happen after DCS 1.5 is released?
What about the damage model don't you like?

I nominate the P-51D as a hi fi gift. You can have him fly the TF-51D from within DCSW (free), if he likes it, send him the P model with all its glory. For western jets, I nominate DCS F-15C. You can create an account on ED store with his email but don't know if it keeps your card details.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I don't think that's a good assumption. ED has recognized the problems with the DM but I haven't seen them say much about it beyond that. I'm sure it's on their to do list somewhere, but the lack info on it suggests it isn't currently being worked on and that it is low on their priority list.

It's too coarse. It was made back in the 1990's for the Flanker sims and hasn't changed much or at all since then. The coarseness isn't very obvious when dealing with 20mm gatling guns and air to air missiles, but it's a problem for M2's, MG151's and similar weapons. I think BoS has gotten it the closest to reality but CloD and even the original IL2 were pretty decent too. DCS has a lot of catching up to do.

Read a few threads about hits not registering properly (thread about the 30mm cannon of the Bf109 on the forum), AI using a completely different damage model and able to keep flying as if nothing happened even after getting hit by 30mm cannons repeatedly, etc.

It's a huge immersion breaker and was one reason why I myself delayed purchasing a WW2 module for myself until now, because I'm worried that these updates are still a long ways off.

The P-51 is a nice plane and is perfectly designed, everything is where it should be and because it was designed as a long range fighter it has plenty of nice aids like trim in all axis. It is also great to taxi and is not too bad for take off and landing. The Dora next. Last is the BF-109, your friend might find this little knife fighter a bit of a hand full.

For Choppers I would always recommend the Huey to all learners. But if there are no rudders, then perhaps the Shark or MI-8 as these have rudder aids.

FC3 is great value for the money and the easiest way to start.

PS The Hawk is a great little jet aircraft that is highly maneuverable and stable by design. Unfortunately it is still stuck in SFM but will be a cracker once it gets its EFM.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

My 2c:

Definitely one of the WWII fighters, forget about the damage model for now. If he can appreciate flying in general there is everything to love about those powerful tail draggers and their wonderful flight models. They are unmatched in any simulation. (Flying the Mustang has made me a much better virtual pilot in every other module).

For the 'modern' planes the Mig21 is the best module IMO, it's seat of your pants flying and wonderful system management and avionics to learn, yet isn't overly complicated to start with.

The new module coming in September (L39C) is something Im looking to get myself and could be a great purchase for yourself and your friend. It will be the first module to support cooperative play (2 players in one cockpit) and would be a great way to introduce your friend to DCS in general as well as letting you 'instruct' him over VOIP on the finer points of flying a modern jet fighter while flying tandem.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Read a few threads about hits not registering properly (thread about the 30mm cannon of the Bf109 on the forum), AI using a completely different damage model and able to keep flying as if nothing happened even after getting hit by 30mm cannons repeatedly, etc.

It's a huge immersion breaker and was one reason why I myself delayed purchasing a WW2 module for myself until now, because I'm worried that these updates are still a long ways off.

The AI have a simple damage model to save CPU and netcode. Also, the WW2 content is fairly new, and I don't think it mattered as much with Flaming Cliffs since a missile either blows you to smitherines or misses. Also, cannons on modern aircraft have high calibers and high rates of fire. Perhaps it will change in the future, but the only way to deal with it currently is scripting.

I'm a big WW2 guy myself. I've played the different Il-2 games that have come out from '46, to CloD, to BoS. I love the WW2 modules, but they need some polish IMO, 109 included. As much as I enjoy the WW2 modules, I feel DCS has more to offer:

The A10C or Ka-50 are always a top choice in my opinion. You can spend a lot of time learning these aircraft inside and out and although the initial learning curve is high, it is very satisfying to learn them, and they are a lot of fun to become more proficient in, especially when flying with a wingman. Also, there are plenty of folks in the community who have learned the modules and who would love to take new pilots under their wing.

If he is not interested in spending the time to learn an advanced aircraft like the A10C or Ka-50 (which I completely understand, They are very intimidating aircraft to learn), I would recommend the F-86. The FM is fantastic. the AI Mig-15 is challenging and fun. PvP battles are a blast (and will be better with the LoD options and graphics improvements of 1.5). It has ground attack and air to air capability with some unique weapons and internal systems. It is very easy to learn, and it is fun to fly.

The only reason I don't suggest the Mig-15 over the F-86 is the AI F-86 isn't much of a contender at the moment. That might change, but fighting the various AI Mig-15s is more enjoyable.

Otherwise...

The best bang for your buck is Flaming Cliffs 3. You have ground attack and modern jets. Modern jets have a very different dogfight experience than WW2 aircraft give you, and the ground attack aircraft have a unique cat and mouse game when it comes to avoiding Anti Air assets. The only downside of the FC3 module is no clickable cockpits. There is something special about having a fully modeled cockpit with internal systems that really makes you enjoy learning and flying the plane. Also, while they are being worked on, and the improvements are free, some of the jets don't have finished advanced flight models.

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

It seems to me that the will to make the simulation realistic from the ground up makes that things that you could give for granted in simulations from 20 years ago are computationally intractable within the DCSW context.