Hawker Hunter plane has crashed during an airshow in Shoreham-By Sea, West Sussex

BIGNEWY

• ED Team

British Air Display Association - Information Note following Shoreham Airshow Accident on 22nd August 2015

http://www.bada-uk.com/2015/08/information-note-following-shoreham-airshow-accident-on-22nd-august-2015/

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Can Shoreham airshow survive this carnage?

They're still searching and finding bodies in the surrounding wooded area, 20 at the moment.

I spent most of my life in this area and gained my pilot licence at this airfield and have enjoyed airshows there. Many of the local population, including my relatives living near the pub, have always been nervous on airshow weekends and that is bound to escalate.

Only 8 years ago a Hawker Hurricane performed the same manoeuvre with the same result and hit the ground close to the same spot.

The Hunter wreckage is being lifted at this moment and the miracle is, the pilot actually survived this mess.

Can Shoreham airshow survive ?

I doubt it.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

I think shoreham can recover from this but I think it is unlikely that will want to run an airshow for a few years plus liability insurance will be hard to get for a descent price. I think if they did put on an airshow, people will still come as aviation will always inspire and the public will think that shorehams procedures will be tighter than ever. I think shoreham will run similar events in the future as they ante an essential source of income for airfields although they are a risky business since you risk a loss if the weather is terrible.

I think this will have duxford worried with the M11 running very close to the eastern threshold. I am always concerned about my height over the motorway when on final approach there.

This is a terrible accident which acts as a reminder just how dangerous aviation still is.

Edited by Jacks

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

• ED Team

BBC News today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34044383

Vintage jets will not be allowed to perform "high-energy aerobatics" over land at air shows after the Shoreham crash, regulators have said.

The Civil Aviation Authority said such planes would be "limited to flypasts", and all Hawker Hunter jets have been temporarily grounded.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

with such G's that could be just the vapour trails.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

If you look closely at the HD video uploaded in youtube, at 00:30'-00:31' a small vapor trail makes its appearance, coming from the right wing tank (or is it something else?). His flaps are also lowered a bit from at least the peak of the loop. It seems as if the elevators are not deflected upwards at 00:31.

Overall, it looks as if the pilot started the loop very low and kept diving for too long during the final part before he pulled up. The plane's elevators did respond but it was too late and the plane impacted with the belly on the road with a relatively small vertical speed, that's why he survived. He probably would have made it if he had another 100 feet of altitude.

Edited by airdoc

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

Terrible news and a horrible loss of life. I hope that those who have been hospitalised make a speedy and full recovery.

As others have commented, maybe it's time to re-evaluate what those old aircraft are really capable of doing so far past their intended life spans.

A very sad year for airshow accidents all over the world :(

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Terrible news and a horrible loss of life. I hope that those who have been hospitalised make a speedy and full recovery.

As others have commented, maybe it's time to re-evaluate what those old aircraft are really capable of doing so far past their intended life spans.

From watching the video and knowing a bit about aircraft, I would not be surprised if the accident investigation team concludes the cause of the incident to be pilot error.

The Hunter is a well built machine, even so it is doubtful that they would be throwing around an expensive machine like that if it was close to or beyond its flight hours limit. The pilot was pulling very hard at the end as evidenced by the wing wobble just before impact. The wing wobble was caused by exceeding the critical AOA for the Hunter. That tells me the controls were, more likely than not, operating as advertised.

Condolences to the families that lost loved ones that day.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Aircraft are not allowed to fly beyond the manufacturer specified life spans, all flying vintage aircraft are operating within their fatigue life indexes, not all aircraft even have a manufacturer imposed limit.

What happened to this Hunter does not appear to be a structural failure and therefore is not likely to be a factor of it's age, in some cases civilian owned and operated ex military jets are less worn out than the Hawks the Red Arrows are flying.

I don't know the hawker hunter in detail but wheres the fuel and oil drain located?

Every military aircraft can dump fuel overboard when the fuel control is challenged during engine regime changes (specially mechanical ones).

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I watched a video I made of this Hunter in 2013 and nowhere did I see a loop attempted of this type.

He always performed a roll off the top into a curving descent to pass in front of the crowd line, which is in this case is a line across the front of the buildings.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

pictures seem to show the Hunter had it's flaps down the entire way through the loop.

One stage of flap (A la combat flap) is pretty much SOP for Hunter manoeuvring flight. Have look at some of the classic air to air formation shots (like the 22 aircraft loop) Half flap is often seen.

I thought 1st stage of flap was quite small, 15 degrees on a Hunter I heard, I have seen pictures of Hunters looping with and without flaps, I just thought the flap setting on this hunter looked a bit excessive, of course we will all get to find out in due course.

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Air Accidents Investigation Branch report

AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7, G-BXFI

Summary:

The AAIB was notified of the accident at 1235 hrs on Saturday 22 August 2015 and immediately initiated a Field Investigation. The aircraft was taking part in an air display at Shoreham Airport during which it conducted a manoeuvre with both a vertical and rolling component, at the apex of which it was inverted. Following the subsequent descent, the aircraft did not achieve level flight before it struck the westbound carriageway of the A27.

This Special Bulletin is published to provide preliminary information gathered from ground inspection, radar data, recorded images and other sources.

https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aaib-investigation-to-hawker-hunter-t7-g-bxfi