UVW issues

chaos

I’m using 3DS 2011 to build a mod and about to start the texturing phase. I’ve used xView to find potential problems and noticed that there are quite a few ’flipped UVW faces’ in my geometry (among other things...). I spent the last 4(!) days trying to correct that problem but have not been succesful so far. I’ve checked the 3D forums and YouTube to no avail and it’s driving me bonkers...

I’ve tried to fix it by applying an Unwrap UVW modifier and mirroring/flipping the offending faces... No result in the Viewport (and xView results) although the face clearly flips/mirrors in the Edit UVW window. I’ve tried UVW Mapping too without result (although it is my understanding that Unwrap UVW can do the same thing and a whole lot more). How difficult can it be to have the UVW ‘normal’ point in the same direction as the polygon normal? Obviously I’m missing something here...

What are the steps to correct ‘Flipped UVW Faces’? I need a step by step plan on how to fix this problem which, I suspect, is quite common. Suggestions are highly appreciated...

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

you should try reseting xform, then collapse it down to edit poly, after that flip the backward facing faces manually on your model.

Still you should post a screenshot.

Thanks. Unfortunately I cannot post screenshots as I don't have my laptop with me for the next 4 days. I've come across the 'xForm thingy' on various forums but haven't tried it yet. I will definitely try that as soon as I can. Still open for more suggestions... can this not be fixed within the Unwrap UVW modifier?

UVW modifier doesn't do anything to the models faces, it's like a separate thing.

you can go into the properties of the selection and turn on back face culling, then all the faces facing backwards will be invisible, so you can easily see if you have any issues.

Just to be sure that we're all discussing the same thing. All the normals are fine. No need to flip any of the polygons... They're all pointing outwards. Its just the UVW that needs flipping. I'll post a screenshot as soon as I can...

Hi all,

As promised... here are some screenshots of the problem I'm having. As you can see, there is 1 flipped UVW that I can't get rid of. The other UVW faces are all aligned correctly except for the one colored in green (don't mind the poor checker map... I haven't even begun lining up the textures).

What do I do here?

Edit: as you can see in the last pic.... the texture doesn't render (for obvious reasons) in the render to texture window.

Edited by chaos

Yes, '2-sided' will show the texture in the render-to-texture window but that doesn't correct the problem of the flipped UVW face... As you can see, the 'UVW-normal' is pointing out the back.

[/Pulling Hair]

Edited by chaos

Flip the face/plane then try unwrapping.

Q: How are you unwrapping it.

1- auto by letting Max do it by doing the flat mapping technique

2- manually by slecting the face.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Hi Joey,

When I rebuild the offending face I can get the UVW normal to point in the right direction (at the expense of messy geometry). It is obvious to me now that the problem is in the way I build a model. If you look at the re-built geometry you can see it all points in the right direction however, as soon as I start welding vertices on the outer edge, I'm starting to see flipped UV's again. It's frustrating... There must be an easy fix for this.

Are any of the artists around these here parts seeing what I'm seeing in their models (xView: Flipped UVW Faces)? And, more importantly, how do they deal with it?

I use Convert Vertex to Faces -> Flatten Mapping

Edited by chaos

Does the plane need to be attched?

If not then detach it then flip it.

EDIT: The sticky out bit might be the culprit if it starts flipping.

Edited by joey45

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

I dont quite see the problem, if the face normals are pointing like you want, does it really matter what way the UVW normal is pointing? Personally I have never gotten any problems with any uvw normal pointing the "wrong way". To be quite honest, I didnt even know they could be the "Wrong way"^^ Its either mirrored or its not.

If you dont mind me asking, what problems is this causing you other then the UVW normal being the wrong way?

EDIT: You know you can mirror, scale, move, rotate the faces etc etc in the edit window right?

Edited by OldCrow

If you dont mind me asking, what problems is this causing you other then the UVW normal being the wrong way?

It doesn't cause me any problems now but, supposedly, it will cause issues with i.e. normal mapping. Also, it is reported in xView as a potential issue which should be dealt with accordingly.

Of course I could be making a mountain out of a molehill... I don't know. All I know is that it shouldn't be there.

I'm aware that you can flip, mirror and whatnot with all the faces. I've tried using those tools to fix the issue but it didn't help one bit...

Yes, '2-sided' will show the texture in the render-to-texture window but that doesn't correct the problem of the flipped UVW face... As you can see, the 'UVW-normal' is pointing out the back.

[/Pulling Hair]

Use the UVW Map Modifier first and Rotate the Gizmo so it's not reversed, then Add the Unwrap UVW Modifier on top of the chain.

UVW.thumb.jpg.d376092930ea63c6cf043968246db116.jpg

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Thanks all for your help. I just can't seem to get it right. I've tried rotating with the gizmo as well but I don't see any changes. Clearly I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure it out. I've started rebuilding the mesh by cutting out the offending polygons and extruding and welding the edges again... all 579 of them... :-) That does the trick except it's a lot of work and I was hoping to find a quicker way. Oh well... I'm still open for more input from the experts... for now I'll adopt the 'Brute Force-' way of doing things...

(I've used ProBoolean on the instrument panel a lot and, according to many forums, that is a sure-fire way of messing up the topology...). I guess I"m not using the tools correctly.

Sorry to bother... one more question :-)

Do any of you actually bother with xView (Flipped UVW) at the modeling stage or do you just start texturing and deal with any issues then...?

Should be sorted duing the modeling stage so it can be fixed there and then.

IF it's done during th euv stage it might get messy.

Thanks. I've started re-building the entire mesh, basically. cut, extrude, weld, cut, extrude, weld...

From now on I'll keep xView on so I notice right away if something is off. Obviously it is the way I construct a model. I don't know of the proper way to do that but I'll figure it out.