Performance expectations

FeistyLemur

My system is an I74770k haswell, with an Asus Maximus VI board, 16gb ram, Intel 520 SSD, and Nvidia Titan X 12gb.

I'm running at 1080p with all settings high except civ traffic off, clutter off, and MSAA at 4x

In flight it seldom comes down from 60fps. But on the ground taxiing at airbases I get odd performance. I did a mig21 cold start at Nalchick and if I look out the left side of my cockpit it dips down to 40fps and trackir feels unexpectedly stuttery when the framerate dips. I've noticed the same thing with trackir and other games, anything less than 60fps doesn't feel good. On the training missions, the landing at Krymsk mission drops into the low 20's taxiing around the base.

If I go into external view, F2, it never moves off 60. I can pan around, zoom out to view half the city around Nalchick, and it's 60 the whole time. But get back in the cockpit and it gets slow. I tried the T-51 just to compare and see if it was exclusive to the Mig21 module, but it does the same thing.

I've tried dropping to 256 and 512 for cockpit displays, this provides no difference of any kind no matter the setting all the way up to 1024 every frame.

Last night I was playing around with it and just once I managed to actually get 60fps in cockpit sitting in the cold start position at Nalchick. I was zoomed out and panning around in external mode, and when I went back to the Cockpit it was 60fps in all directions. But I was unable to duplicate this. It went back to ~40 in all subsequent tests.

Is this typical behavior for it to dip and behave erratically on the ground?

Im running at 4k with fairly good performance except when taxiing behind a friendly, realised it was the heat blur freaking my machine out. Try and disable it in settings and see what happens, in my case it made bases and taxiing way more friendly for my machine.

Edit.. We basically have the same machine except that I have 770 OC 4GB

Happens to all of us, bro... The only thing I can say is that with my machine (see signature) I get same fps as you with same settings plus civ traffic on low, perhaps you should be having better performance than me.

Do you have TSSA on?

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

DCSW, at the moment, does not do graphics very well due to the heavily reliance on the cpu. DCSW 1.5 promises to help out in that department. It's going to DX11 and using more of the graphics cards than before.

But, two things for now, are heavy on the fps. Heat blur and water. Explosions cannot be adjusted so any time there are explosions close by, your fps will probably drop. I get a slideshow when I fly through a burning tank.

For my rig (see my sig), I get well above 60 away from things and up high. At Sochi or near a large city with lots of planes zipping about, water on, heat blur on, AA at 8, everything else maxed out on a 1080 screen, I get in the mid teens. And, yeah, Trackir gets fussy and stutters a lot then.

DCSW 1.5 will change things a lot.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

I was more or less looking to see if what I was getting is normal, so it seems like it's pretty normal. I'm not used to performance problems with this system.

I'll try turning the heat blur and water down in the meantime to see if I can improve it. Learning to land properly is tough with frame drop.

Really look forward to this 1.5 by the sound of it.

Yes it is normal, dont worry, happens to everyone.

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

normal situation with the current engine, which is why a new one has been developed and due for release soon.

as "frustrating" as it can be, the drops can be minimised through selective tweaking of both System/ Graphics (NVidia) ... (AMD dropped DX9 support for their VGA) and ingame settings

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"