Leatherneck Simulations Mini-Update - SEPTEMBER 2015

Cobra847

The UI and keybinding pain kills it for me... I always just come back to DCS.

I've had BMS installed on my computer for a couple years and never got to actually play it because I can't set up the controls. I used to think it was a pain setting controls in DCS, its a piece of cake compared to BMS.

The UI and keybinding pain kills it for me... I always just come back to DCS.

I have always loved the F-16 and owned every iteration of falcon since Falcon AT. I spent about 3 hours today trying to get BMS working with no luck. Simply couldn't get the game to work with my warthog and MFDs. What should be intuitive and work for assigning controls simply doesn't.

And the really sad thing was the graphics. Again, I may not have had them "set up properly" because I lost patience trying. DCS Looks a hundred time better on low settings. There is simply no comparison. Like you I simply gave up and came back to DCS.

I sincerely hope ED eventually brings out the F-16. I think there are plenty of people waiting for it.

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I have always loved the F-16 and owned every iteration of falcon since Falcon AT. I spent about 3 hours today trying to get BMS working with no luck. Simply couldn't get the game to work with my warthog and MFDs. What should be intuitive and work for assigning controls simply doesn't.

And the really sad thing was the graphics. Again, I may not have had them "set up properly" because I lost patience trying. DCS Looks a hundred time better on low settings. There is simply no comparison. Like you I simply gave up and came back to DCS.

I sincerely hope ED eventually brings out the F-16. I think there are plenty of people waiting for it.

It's ok until you fly at low altitude that's when the terrain really shows itself up compared to dcs. I await to see how much improvement there is with this new patch but I can see by videos it's still a long way off the quality of DCS terrain.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Key binding for the Warthog within BMS, with or without the MFDs, is nothing short of a piece of cake.There are essentially two ways:

1. My preferred: use Kolbe's dx generator attached within the sim's folders.

Read the manual, choose your settings as you prefer them (or use the template provided) and then just copy paste into the BMS-Full.key...rename it...put it back into the config folder and load it up.

2. Target: there are two sets of ready to go profiles within the community...Morphine and Mud.

Download...copy...paste...go.

Spend another two minutes within the BMS setup/controllers/advanced settings and go fly.

Even in DCS your Warthog is pretty handicapped in most modules unless you edit the lua with custom controls or make a target profile.

I sure love my DCS.

I only wish to have more of its promises than of its prophecies. . .

Edited by POLARIS1

jgVplRQ.png

Key binding for the Warthog within BMS, with or without the MFDs, is nothing short of a piece of cake.There are essentially two ways:

Read the manual, choose your settings as you prefer them (or use the template provided) and then just copy paste into the BMS-Full.key...rename it...put it back into the config folder and load it up.

2. Target: there are two sets of ready to go profiles within the community...Morphine and Mud.

Spend another two minutes within the BMS setup/controllers/advanced settings and go fly.

Even in DCS your Warthog is pretty handicapped in most modules unless you edit the lua with custom controls or make a target profile.

I sure love my DCS.

The pain is setting up the axis not the key bindings

I sure love my DCS.

Key bindings for Warthog within DCS: plug in HOTAS Warthog. Game recognizes controller and assigned ALL default functions with ZERO interaction from me. To CHANGE a function, Start game, Open Options...Double click function you want to assign button to...click button on controller...hit save. Fly.

How is your way easier?

I'm not new at this. I've been playing with Thrustamster Controllers and flight sims for more than 20 years. I'm not new to computers. I've been playing with them since the 8088...The fact you have to have in depth instructions and an outside program just to assign a button to a function when it should be one of the most intuitive things possible makes my point quite effectively. The HOTAS Cougar has been around what? 15 years? Why isn't it hard coded to game the same way?

That being said, the graphics simply don't compare. Sure the cockpit looks nice and everything is functional...but ALL of the exterior models look dated and sloppy. Again, I completely admit I only spent about 30 minutes trying to get things to look like they do in the videos...but it shouldn't take that long. It didn't take 1/2 that time to adjust to he video settings when we switched from 1.2 to 1.5 in DCS.

In my opinion the only things BMS has going for it are Dynamic campaign and the ATC system...which ED is looking to improve. Don't get me wrong, I wanted BMS to work...but the detractors far out weight the time and effort necessary to make it work as advertised.

I sincerely hope a DCS level F-16 is in the works. And I don't think I am alone.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

So about this DCS World thing? Lol

Better yet how about those secret modules?

What's DCS world? :pilotfly:

Sorry. Not trying to threadjack. You can look at the previous posts as extended explanations of why I love DCW: World (< mandatory content) and why I am hopeful for a DCS level Viper from SOMEBODY...perhaps LN sims.

THAT being said, I went back through this thread last night looking at the different ideas being bandied about and to be honest most of them are modules I'd consider buying. What intrigues me is the obvious effort LN is making to produce theaters to match their aircraft. That means the mystery aircraft either never operated in the same part of the world...OR...one of the aircraft requires a unique operating environment. COUGH>COUGH>CARRIEROPS<COUGH<COUGH.

I'd love to know how much coordination is going on behind the scenes between ED, LN, Belsim etc. about who's going to do what and when. I simply can't believe they're operating in a vacuum completely unaware of what each other is working on. That would be counter productive.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Sierra99,

1. I never wrote "easier" but "easy"...as in not comparing it to DCS but helping a fellow simmer with an issue.

2. I didn't compare Falcon BMS to DCS and I'm not going to, besides stating facts.

3. Assigning the WartHog in DCS is not without its difficulties, as can be seen at my dedicated thread over at the input section with the amount of people who read it and download and use the package I provide just to help people out.

While I do respect your experience I think it is best if we leave the issue of which is better and give our respect both to ED for their achievements, as well as to the BMS team for their achievements.

jgVplRQ.png

• 1 month later...
What, exactly, is embarrassing?

It's coming. No ETA. Maybe DCS 11.

Embarrassing is, that the in cockpit sound is ready for quiet some time, but the external sound not. I just don't understand it. The work on F-14 is going on full throttle and it seems like this has been forgotten.

Embarrassing is, that the in cockpit sound is ready for quiet some time, but the external sound not. I just don't understand it. The work on F-14 is going on full throttle and it seems like this has been forgotten.

As far as I know, Mig21 is still beta. Don't worry, if a bug exists, I'm sure they will fix it.

Win 8.1, I7 4770K 4.5ghz watercooled, 240gb SSD in Raid 0, 16GB DDR3-2400, EVGA GTX780 watercooled, LG 29EA73-P (2560x1080)

Cobra M5 *modded by BRD*, CH Pro Throttle, Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR5 Pro + Delanclip, Bose QC 15, TM Cougar MFD's

300/30 mbps

I think what is being forgotten is Nevada is in open ALPHA. I don't have a problem that the mig is not working, of course I would like it working, I want to fly the mig in the new map. But I believe LN will have the bugs ironed out before Nevada comes out of open Alpha, and what's the problem with that. There is another version of DCS using EDGE that you can fly the mig in.

Maybe to ease the ear bashing you guys (LN) could put a notice on the purchase page of the 21 saying about having some problems running in 2.0 at the moment I don't know.

I'm sure these guys have a heavy workload at the moment can we not give them a break?

• Like 1

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I think what is being forgotten is Nevada is in open ALPHA. I don't have a problem that the mig is not working, of course I would like it working, I want to fly the mig in the new map. But I believe LN will have the bugs ironed out before Nevada comes out of open Alpha, and what's the problem with that. There is another version of DCS using EDGE that you can fly the mig in.

Maybe to ease the ear bashing you guys (LN) could put a notice on the purchase page of the 21 saying about having some problems running in 2.0 at the moment I don't know.

I'm sure these guys have a heavy workload at the moment can we not give them a break?

+1 totally agree

but I'm only replying to this post to tell you that it is working now (since an hour or so)

Happy flying :megalol: :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Waiting to build a F/A-18C home-pit...

ex - Swiss Air Force Pilatus PC-21 Ground Crew

SFM? AFM? EFM?? What's this?

i7-5960X (8 core @3.00GHz)¦32GB DDR4 RAM¦Asus X99-WS/IPMI¦2x GTX970 4GB SLI¦Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD¦TrackIR 5 Pro¦TM Warthog¦MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

We already know what we are getting... We just don't know the when of the matter. Unless..... There is a diabolical bait and switch in the works! * resonant evil laugh* JK ;)

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

I really wish you guys could tell us about the new aircraft you are planning on releasing, as I don't want to purchase the Mirage if there is something better coming :)

We already know the aircraft. And no, there is no better interceptor being released in the near future :).