Pitch-Roll Autopilot and Reset Button for Attitude Indicator

enigma6584

What do you mean by "reset" the AI? Push-to-cage, or power cycle?

The autopilot gets its pitch and roll information (angle only, not rate of change) from the copilot's attitude indicator. I've not tried power-cycling the AI to see what happens to the autopilot, but caging it should not cause the AP to turn off in the pitch/roll channels.

It should be noted that caging in-flight with the AP engaged will tell the AP that there was just an abrupt attitude change and it will try to compensate...so basically one should never cage the copilot's AI in-flight with the AP engaged.

Edited by AlphaOneSix

What do you mean by "reset" the AI? Push-to-cage, or power cycle?

The autopilot gets its pitch and roll information (angle only, not rate of change) from the copilot's attitude indicator. I've not tried power-cycling the AI to see what happens to the autopilot, but caging it should not cause the AP to turn off in the pitch/roll channels.

It should be noted that caging in-flight with the AP engaged will tell the AP that there was just an abrupt attitude change and it will try to compensate...so basically one should never cage the copilot's AI in-flight with the AP engaged.

When sitting on the ground, making final preparations for take-off when I go to "cage" both Attitude Indicators; caging the co-pilots AI turns off the Autopilot Pitch/Roll. I have not tried this in flight but it happens every time on the ground.