Real life mig21 Stick feedback and MSFFB2

Dirty Rotten Flieger

So I finally got around to getting a MS FFB2 .... I've been sim flying for over a decade with extreme 3d pro.

So anyway I am setting up my new force feedback stick trying different sims. WW1 and WW2 planes are great with FFB and it surely captures the real life characteristic of the stick feel and dynamic forces, But The Mig21bis leaves me wondering? What does the real thing feel like anyway?

I am aware that supersonic flight requires all flying tails or stabilators with "fake" feedback.

IIRC the stabilator pivots around a point near the centre of pressure so there is very little dynamic stick forces from air pressure as speed increases.

So what system does the real life Mig21bis use ? What does the real life stick feel like?

Does it have a spring to give the pilot some feel? Does the MSFFB2 give closer feel to reality or is the old 3dpro actually closer to what the real Mig21 stick feels like to the pilot.

Any insights about this would be greatly appreciated, as would tips for setting up MSFFB2 for DCS in general.

TBH Ive only flown the Mig21 once since Ive gotten my FFB2 stick about a month ago and I have to admit I was kind of drunk at the time and showing off to my friends so I can't recall what it felt like. I have been neglecting the Mig for a while, and have stayed away from the sim because of the upcoming DCS 1.5/2.0 patch, I want to go in 'fresh'. :)

Ill make an effort tomorrow to check on how it works compared to the Mustang for example (which is the only module Ive flown consistently lately, and it feels awesome) and report back if you like. Can't do it today since Ive got other RL commitments.

Edit: Oops just re-read your post, you are asking how the real plane handles or rather how the real stick responds to pilot input. Sorry, can't help you there, I have no idea if the FFB implementation is realistic or not. The person to ask is Novak, Leatherneck's programmer and real life Mig21 pilot.

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Other than the stall warning the Force Feedback effects on games is very "gamey".

The real stick don't jump around when the guy press the trigger... :joystick: :music_whistling:

Please don't quote out of context, as this is considered trolling. What you described doesn't happen in DCS, which you would probably know if you had a FFB joystick. The FFB implementation in DCS is very, very good at least with regards to the old WWII birds. However I have no idea if there is even force feedback as such in the REAL Mig21 which is what the original poster actually asked.

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Thanks, yeah the Mig21 is very interesting to fly with FFB.

I have been reading the english translation of the pilot's flight manual and it is very interesting also.

Basically all the subsonic birds feel as I expected and the stick force increases with IAS and G load. There is very little stick shake with guns firing. The Mig21 has almost no gun shake effect at all.

The Mig21bis is the only supersonic PFM bird that I have and is quite different feel. The increasing IAS does not cause much increasing stick force. I have now read in the Mig manual that this is correctly modeled.

The stick force does increase with G load though. Also I have read in the pilot manual that transonic speed can cause increase in G load as some of the airflow around the plane is supersonic and some is not. Not sure if this is modeled in DCS but it might be. If I am pulling G while supersonic and decelerating the G indicator may jump as I cross M1. Stick force seems to increase in such case.... Hard to say for sure. But the FFB with Mig21 had added extra layer to my experience of this great plane

I really like the FFB with the helicopters especially and now I just want to find a force feedback editor so I can fine tune some effects to taste.