Tips for using AIM-7's

SgtPappy

It was that no one thought it was possible, but that you couldn't count on such a thing regularly happening.

Unfortunately my HOTAS is broken, so I'm pretty much off MP until DCS 2 comes out and I build a PC for it.

I rather routinely get kills at 20-21nm with the 120. It obviously requires the target and myself to be at or near 40k ft. Sometimes it'll be a flanker way up there, and I just smile. The best way to launch the AIM-7 at 'range', is diving on them screaming from angles 40, 15nm kills are possible.

Ok, so I just did a test.. I was able to hit a large target fired from what My radar scope said 35-38nm and tacview says 33-29nm with the aim7 along with a follow up shot at 31-29nm with tacview showing 27? with the closer fired shot actualy hitting first.. None the less both shots hit..

Fired from 52kft m1.9 against a tanker flying 435kts gs @30,000ft

Link to tacview https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8KiatNmckBISjFaT1dXLXR0THM

Sorry did not realise the link was locked.. It's now open to public

Edited by pr1malr8ge

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.

Real Raero is 53nm at 40000' launched at M1.4 at co-altitude, co-speed target head on, non maneuvering.

Not to concerned with real life I supose.. More ingame.. Think I might be able to push it out to 40-45 but thats max.. Id also supose Id have to be 60k m2+ also and target would have to be ~40k

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.