Backing up control bindings

USA_Recon

I've been told control bindings can get messed up with patches, etc... and I've been wanting to try out the DCS beta but I want to make sure my bindings don't get messed up.

What is the correct and best practice for backing up control settings to make sure they don't get lost/overwritten - including when new patches come out.

Additionally, what is best way to install the beta and switch back and forth without worry of losing bindings ?

Thanks in advance !!!

From the user manual:

Save Input Profile. After you have modified (added, deleted, or changed) an input option to a profile, you can save it using the SAVE PROFILE AS button. Upon pressing this button, the Save Profile As browser window will be displayed. This window allows you to browse to a location on your computer and save the profile. You can either save the profile under the default name or create a new profile under a different name. As such, you can create multiple profiles for a single aircraft if you wish.

Load Input Profile. Once an input profile is created, you may load it as the active profile by selecting the LOAD PROFILE button. This button will display the Load Profile browser window and allow you to select the desired profile to load. After selecting the desired profile, press the OK button.

Note: The loading and saving functions are specific to the device and not global for the profile

Hope this helps,

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I've been told control bindings can get messed up with patches, etc... and I've been wanting to try out the DCS beta but I want to make sure my bindings don't get messed up.

There's not a lot you can do about patches. If the module changes its keybinding (removed, or adding etc..) then unfortunately you generally have to manually update your profile.

With regards to the Beta, if you follow the instructions here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=122518

You'll notice DCS makes a new dir in C:\Users\{username}\Saved Games\ like DCS.openbeta just for the open beta, which is completely different from your non-beta and means that they won't get touched.

What is the correct and best practice for backing up control settings to make sure they don't get lost/overwritten - including when new patches come out.

You can make a backup of this folder if you wish to keep bindings.

C:\Users\{username}\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input

As per my comment above, it's probably not a good idea any control changes in the module might mean the profile is broken anyway/

This "Save/Load input profile" feature isn't reliable I'd say. Sometimes the "Save" button isn't clickable for some reason, sometimes "Load" doesn't want to work either. I stopped bothering with this method after one of repairs when I couldn't load the old profile even though I did have it saved properly (or so I thought).

Using a backup of the Input folder is probably safer option.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

This "Save/Load input profile" feature isn't reliable I'd say. Sometimes the "Save" button isn't clickable for some reason, sometimes "Load" doesn't want to work either. I stopped bothering with this method after one of repairs when I couldn't load the old profile even though I did have it saved properly (or so I thought).

Using a backup of the Input folder is probably safer option.

I'd respectfully suggest that something else was wrong. I have been using the Save & Load profile functions with no issues since v1.1.0.7. The only exception being the switch to v1.2.8 where they made major changes to the files.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I'd respectfully suggest that something else was wrong. I have been using the Save & Load profile functions with no issues since v1.1.0.7. The only exception being the switch to v1.2.8 where they made major changes to the files.

I have the same issue when trying to save profiles, I just copy the whole folder and give it a date. :thumbup: :joystick:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Do you make sure you have highlighted (clicked on) a cell in the column for the controller that you want to save? That is the only situation where I have had the Save button not work, or be lit up.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Do you make sure you have highlighted (clicked on) a cell in the column for the controller that you want to save? That is the only situation where I have had the Save button not work, or be lit up.

check that out.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2473081&postcount=12

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

I read it, and looked at the pictures, twice. I have no idea what those pictures have to do with highlighting a cell in the column of the controller that you want to save.

I read it, and looked at the pictures, twice. I have no idea what those pictures have to do with highlighting a cell in the column of the controller that you want to save.

When you save and the copy and paste that over to the beta it's not displayed correct, I see double inputs and have to clear and rebound setting all over again.

We are not talking about copy and paste. We are talking about using the Save and/or Load Profile button.

We are not talking about copy and paste. We are talking about using the Save and/or Load Profile button.

I know, and when I have done this and reload that saved profile I get double inputs and have to start over again, it does not work as advertised:

Without actually looking over your shoulder while you do it, I have no idea what could be going on.

The save/load function is indeed not reliable, but for a different reason. The issue with the save/load button not working is just caused by not having clicked into one of the cells.

The real problem is, that when the controls get changed by an update and you load your backup from an older version, then it will interfere with the new controls layout. The reason for this is, that a backup won't just save the keybindings, it will also save the commands as well and if you load that backup it will insert them again which causes things like doubled commands and stuff like that.

At least that's my understanding/experience.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

From the user manual:

Save Input Profile. After you have modified (added, deleted, or changed) an input option to a profile, you can save it using the SAVE PROFILE AS button. Upon pressing this button, the Save Profile As browser window will be displayed. This window allows you to browse to a location on your computer and save the profile. You can either save the profile under the default name or create a new profile under a different name. As such, you can create multiple profiles for a single aircraft if you wish.

Load Input Profile. Once an input profile is created, you may load it as the active profile by selecting the LOAD PROFILE button. This button will display the Load Profile browser window and allow you to select the desired profile to load. After selecting the desired profile, press the OK button.

Note: The loading and saving functions are specific to the device and not global for the profile

Hope this helps,

You can save them to \Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\[aircraft name]\[*****]

Where ***** is joystick or keyboard.

Actually you don't need to because automatically they get saved there anyway when you click OK after making any changes at which point ALL input device profiles for that aircraft get re-saved. You can reload them from there.

And as has been pointed out you can't save any unless you have a cell under it's name highlighted. But just OK should do it for you anyway.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

The real problem is, that when the controls get changed by an update and you load your backup from an older version, then it will interfere with the new controls layout. The reason for this is, that a backup won't just save the keybindings, it will also save the commands as well and if you load that backup it will insert them again which causes things like doubled commands and stuff like that.

That should never have happened, and it should be impossible since v1.2.8 when they completely changed the way the files worked.

:wallbash::wallbash:

Whats the best way again? Id rather backup a file I think,, I will admit,, Im confused here

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

With respect to copying a saved profile to a new install I find you must first go into the new install anf delete all imputs with respect to EACH of your controllers collumns, ie warthog joystick, warthog throttle , MFG rudders etc. because DCSWorld will assign imputs automatically when you first start up a new install. If you do this you should not get duplicate imputs when you command a load within your options page. Each a/c should have it's own profile, in my opinion.

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

That should never have happened, and it should be impossible since v1.2.8 when they completely changed the way the files worked.

It might have been indeed the 1.2.8 update, that caused these problems for me. So for future updates it's impossible that this will happen? I think about the upcoming control changes for the MiG-21 for example.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

With respect to copying a saved profile to a new install I find you must first go into the new install anf delete all imputs with respect to EACH of your controllers collumns, ie warthog joystick, warthog throttle , MFG rudders etc. because DCSWorld will assign imputs automatically when you first start up a new install. If you do this you should not get duplicate imputs when you command a load within your options page. Each a/c should have it's own profile, in my opinion.

I had to read that a couple times before I understood it, so with that being said, is there also an alternate method, such as backing up a specific file (which is what?) and when you finish with a fresh install, replace that file with the backup?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

It might have been indeed the 1.2.8 update, that caused these problems for me. So for future updates it's impossible that this will happen? I think about the upcoming control changes for the MiG-21 for example.

The change made with v1.2.8 were designed expressly for the situations where controls are changes for a module, so that the user is not forced to reassign everything. It has appeared to work so far.

When I create a profile for an a/c I name it, for example Sabersep15. I date these profiles because I like to tinker with them so i could end up with more than I profile for the saber. When you save these profiles they are generated in my saved game folder under, in my case DCS. This location is not the root directory of DCS rather in the user file generated by windows (10) in my installation. If you use windows and you install multiple copies of DCS they will all be listed in Saved Games. So all I had to donwhen I installed the open beta was to make sure none of my controllers had any entries generated by the open beta install, copy the a/c profiles over to the same location in the open beta saved game file, all done. Hope this makes sence to you

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

does that apply if you backed up from a Windows 7 operating system, then you do a fresh install of Windows 10?