The right man (missile) for the job..?

Ashilta

Basically in the simulation you can force correlate on the scene with a target on center and the Maverick will hit it, while IRL this can't work in the slightest?

I thought force correlate was mainly useful to avoid having to slew continuosly the seeker while looking for a target. I yet have to go deep into combat tactics and weapons employement, but I'll avoid abusing the force correlate as a targeting tool if it's not even remotely realistic.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Basically in the simulation you can force correlate on the scene with a target on center and the Maverick will hit it, while IRL this can't work in the slightest?

Basically, yes. This is because DCS doesn't simulate the behavior of the seeker head and Force Correlate appears to merely guide towards a fine point on the ground rather than actually trying to maintain the centre of the image as it gets closer to the target. With how the real missile works it simply can't accurately guide to a point on an image that its incapable of locking in Centroid mode. FC is only useful in the terminal phase which means very close. To be more useful than centroid at ~14nm is patently absurd.

I thought force correlate was mainly useful to avoid having to slew continuosly the seeker while looking for a target. I yet have to go deep into combat tactics and weapons employement, but I'll avoid abusing the force correlate as a targeting tool if it's not even remotely realistic.

The issues with slewing the Mav could be related to an incorrect implementation of space stabilization meaning its possible we have worse control issues than real pilots but I'm not sure about that. FC itself is useful for hitting targets at plausible ranges which are too large to be locked by the centroid gate but are also large enough to be effectively damaged by the CEP of FC used at a greater range than it was designed for when guiding the missile in its terminal phase at a point target.

Avoiding using FC like a sniper rifle is a good idea because if/when they ever get around to eliminating this rather large exploit those who haven't learned to use the missile as intended will find themselves confused and won't have adapted to the tactics necessary to use a weapon that only has an effective range of 1/2-1/3 of what they're used to. Still, I think the H needs to lock further out. The D is basically universally more effective and the H's lack of gusto means it only encourages people to abuse FC.

• Like 1

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't look too far back in time. I wasn't always this clever. :P

I learned very much like you do, by reading the good stuff I could find in these forums as well as flying with clever people.

Here's a few freebie links of cleverer people than me.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=99688

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=117350

• Like 1

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.