Oculus Rift "Touch"

Like many people with a heartbeat and a love for simulation, I've been following the Oculus rift and had always wondered since the announcement of the Oculus Touch, whether DCS will support the Oculus Touch.

Here is an exerpt from http://phandroid.com/2015/06/11/oculus-rift-price-release-date/

Oculus Touch is a new input option that’ll allow you to control your games with your hands instead of a traditional controller. It supports gestures, hand presence and object manipulation in the game world.

I don't know about you guys, but being able to flip switches, press buttons and turn knobs with both hands instead of fiddling with a mouse seems pretty cool. That being said, I'm not jumping out of my seat yet. Most of us have had experiences with new tech controllers like the Wii and Xbox's HAL9000. So at best it will work and we'll be starting up our A10C's with our "hands", at worst it will be a messy uncontrollable gimmick...

But the point is, what is DCS's thoughts on supporting this new controller?

There is this problem that it must be left someplace while handling the hotas and reach for it to interact with the cockpit.

Maybe we will have to wait for a glove-like controller.

Alternatively, they could make the virtual cockpit hotas fully functional and using the touch to manupulate them, making physical hotas unnessesary, though the feel of an actual stick and throttle in my hands would be sorely missed...

Or a "fingertip" sensor where it's just one motion sensor at the end of one finger and tapping pushes buttons, flicking flips switches and twirling your finger turns knobs? I don't know, it's theorycrafting and conjecture at this point.

I think the best option is use voicebot for commands. Gears, flaps, canopy and joystick for flying. But this is pure theoriticlal thoughts.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Who are you asking when you ask what DCS's thoughts are on supporting this new controller? If it's the Wags you're asking, I don't think they will give you an answer here. I'm still waiting to see what they have done with the Rift itself since a lot of questions remain unanswered. Nobody even knows what 1.5 will bring regarding FPS and if it will be good enough to make the Rift worth while. I have really bad judder and I'm hoping 1.5 can eliminate that.

Alternatively, they could make the virtual cockpit hotas fully functional and using the touch to manupulate them, making physical hotas unnessesary, though the feel of an actual stick and throttle in my hands would be sorely missed...

Or a "fingertip" sensor where it's just one motion sensor at the end of one finger and tapping pushes buttons, flicking flips switches and twirling your finger turns knobs? I don't know, it's theorycrafting and conjecture at this point.

That would be horrible, i would prefer to spend a lot of money (which i dont have) in peripherals.. Also your hands would get pretty tired.

well 2 major problems i see

- u have stuff in place where virtual cockpit is (desk, hotas, keyboard etc, so u cant reach it)

- pushing buttons and knobs would be painful, u would have to be super precise and watch every button if u actually pushed it and the one you wanted, u cant feel it and some buttons give none or next to none visual and audio feedback when pressed

well 2 major problems i see

- u have stuff in place where virtual cockpit is (desk, hotas, keyboard etc, so u cant reach it)

- pushing buttons and knobs would be painful, u would have to be super precise and watch every button if u actually pushed it and the one you wanted, u cant feel it and some buttons give none or next to none visual and audio feedback when pressed

It is quite the conundrum, since using an Oculus rift prevents you from seeing the physical hotas and keyboard in front of you (since your entire vision is locked inside the headmounted screen), therefore a new "peripheral controller" is required for games as complicated as DCS world...

Its not a problem with an PS controller or a XBox controller, since your hands never really move in relation to the controller, but with a game with so many buttons that it requires Hotas and keyboard to play, you have to use something that would be able to transfer to the game without taking off the goggles.

I have a full Hotas and VAC system and seldom have to use my keyboard or look at my Hotas to use it. If someday VR is as immersive as I think it can be, then that will be an obstacle that most people will have no problem adjusting too.

That said, I mentioned in a forum post a few months ago about having docking stations for the Touch units so that they could be used as a Stick and Throttle, with an easy quick connect/disconnect system where you could also use the Touch inputs for selecting and moving switches etc. I have no idea if the Touch inputs will be precise enough to use as a stick and throttle. If they are.... have no doubt that some people will make their own docking stations.

I don't see a HOTAS becoming deprecated by VR peripherals. It's just too much a perfect fit for flight sims.

The docking stations idea sounds appealing anyway.

Accuracy seems to be already enough to manipulate switches and knobs in a cockpit. Still to be seen once we begin to have those things in our hands.

I imagine the future will be with tracking gloves with ingenious feedback actuators after a few iterations of the technology. This way you don't have to hold anything for hands and fingers being tracked.

I imagine the future will be with tracking gloves with ingenious feedback actuators after a few iterations of the technology. This way you don't have to hold anything for hands and fingers being tracked.

This!

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti