performance expectation on NEVADA

JABO2009

That's my fear with the new engine, if ED have not enhanced the CPU usage, the new version is going to be a failure to me. In my case I'm not worried with the graphics, because all the years there are newer cards..

The problem is with the CPU's, I have a I52500k overclocked at 4.2 Ghz, and the newest processors aren't really a lot more powerful compared with mine, so the upgrade didn't worth the value..

And with my CPU a lot of times DCS World is running very bad.. :cry:

The switch to DX11 will offload a lot of CPU cycles to our GPUs, so I think it's a little bit premature to claim that there will be no benefits in that regard.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

The problem is with the CPU's, I have a I52500k overclocked at 4.2 Ghz, and the newest processors aren't really a lot more powerful compared with mine, so the upgrade didn't worth the value..

I think you'll find a skylake i7 6700k is a minimum 20% more powerful then your 2600k and 30% faster at times. That's 20fps to 30fps more in games that rely on the Cpu more. Take a look at the link I posted below.

Edit:

Edited by joebloggs

Soon we will see - I have i5, still non-overclocked and Zotac GT 560Ti ulta overclocked with 1GB VRAM.

Plus 8 GB RAM.

DCS runs average, I hate shuttering and effect after 2 hours you have to restart game.

Overall it is still good hardware for DCS, I think GPU is main bottleneck.

At least I can play smoothly in GTA 5 and War Thunder :D

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I think you'll find a skylake i7 6700k is a minimum 20% more powerful then your 2600k and 30% faster at times. That's 20fps to 30fps more in games that rely on the Cpu more. Take a look at the link I posted below.

Edit:

DCS only uses a single core, so I think the difference should be 20-25 %. The problem is that replacing a 4 years old platform, and spending at least 600 € to gain a 20 % don't seems a good deal to me..

There is the i5 6600k that should work, but it's the same.. replacing nearly the whole computer to gain a 20 %... :cry:

I think you'll find a skylake i7 6700k is a minimum 20% more powerful then your 2600k and 30% faster at times.
I was just thinking about upgrading to a 6700 but decided against it, because I'd then have to swap the mobo as well - and that's too dear and cumbersome at this point. I'm running an i7-2700K @ 4.4GHz on a Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 mobo, and the socket (LGA1155) doesn't accept anything newer than a 3770 it seems.

But then, this mobo & proc combined with a 3GB GTX580 will most likely run v1.5 OKish, won't it? At least I'm clearly above the minimum so can't see why not.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Soon we will see - I have i5, still non-overclocked and Zotac GT 560Ti ulta overclocked with 1GB VRAM.

Plus 8 GB RAM.

DCS runs average, I hate shuttering and effect after 2 hours you have to restart game.

Overall it is still good hardware for DCS, I think GPU is main bottleneck.

At least I can play smoothly in GTA 5 and War Thunder :D

You are correct in that the GPU is bottleknecking your system. Just get something newer for Xmas and you will be good to go.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

DCS only uses a single core, so I think the difference should be 20-25 %. The problem is that replacing a 4 years old platform, and spending at least 600 € to gain a 20 % don't seems a good deal to me..

There is the i5 6600k that should work, but it's the same.. replacing nearly the whole computer to gain a 20 %... :cry:

I understand your point for sure. I am still using my i7 920 at stock speed, all graphics on high with distance sliders all the way up. Not one single stutter or FPS drop.

The only thing I would change is the GPU. on my system. Think of how much we users of the older tech. have saved over the yrs. with Intel's many updates to their chips.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

I understand your point for sure. I am still using my i7 920 at stock speed, all graphics on high with distance sliders all the way up. Not one single stutter or FPS drop.

The only thing I would change is the GPU. on my system. Think of how much we users of the older tech. have saved over the yrs. with Intel's many updates to their chips.

Why are you running it at stock speed when the i7 920 is a good overclocker? You could be getting 4.0 Ghz with that i7 920. I have the i7 930 and have had it overclocked to 4.1 Ghz for the last 4 years with no problems.

In fact I have another computer in my house with a I7 920 like yours.. is a bit slower than the I5 2500k when both are overclocked but a good processor even today.

I recommend you to overclock it the most you can, because the gaining of fps with that overclock is notorious. Sometimes my overclock disappear and I notice it while running DCS. I have a 980 ti GPU, and I am playing at 4k with Nvidia DSR, and the framerates are good, with punctual problems when a lot of units in some missions ( That's what I hope they fixed with the new version )

Why are you running it at stock speed when the i7 920 is a good overclocker?
Well, some folks aim for minimal wear and tear. Overclocking the CPU may reduce its operational life somewhat, although this is the 4th year already my i7-2600k has run at 4.4GHz without any problems whatsoever. But then the temps are always in check and the voltages as low as possible...

Well, some folks aim for minimal wear and tear. Overclocking the CPU may reduce its operational life somewhat, although this is the 4th year already my i7-2600k has run at 4.4GHz without any problems whatsoever. But then the temps are always in check and the voltages as low as possible...

I thinks it's because intel never told you it was good to overclock back then. Now with Skylake they never stop talking about the i7 6700 overclocking ability. I don't even use liquid cooling on my i7 930, I just bought a big heatsink & fan and it's lasted 4 years and is still going strong. Usually I hit 70C in games, but I heard they can run at 90C and still have no problems. Not that I's want to run it at 90C though.

yep, my x58, bought when the series was first released, is only just now starting to go wonky

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

a big heatsink & fan...I hit 70C in games

Same thing here. I'm using a humongous - and I mean it, it really is HUMONGOUS - passive cooler, and my CPU temp never exceeds 75°C even when running flat out for a long time. And yeah, it could do more than 90°C continuous as well IIRC, but I still wouldn't want it to go _anywhere_ near there TBH...

Why are you running it at stock speed when the i7 920 is a good overclocker? You could be getting 4.0 Ghz with that i7 920. I have the i7 930 and have had it overclocked to 4.1 Ghz for the last 4 years with no problems.

I did overclock it. Had it at 4.x for a yr. and a half or so. I didn't think the 2 or 3 FPS was worth it. My Son asked if he could have the PC when I upgrade and I thought dropping the Overclock was something that needed to be done I he was going to use it after me.

Guys, as the OP here, let me speak out a big "THANK YOU" for all your posts.

As the the "Lets wait and see" strategy seems pretty obvious - the decision to say good bye to my old ATI Sapphire HD 6850 1 GB RAM has already fallen. As some already predicted here - I would be disappointed in the Nevada/DCS 2.0 environment in any case with my old ATI GPU.

Let me pls state few more additional questions regarding new hardware compontens (Mainboard and GPU):

As my I5 - 2500K @ 3,3 Ghz - (with OC up to 3,7Ghz) processor seems worth enough to keep it and to upgrade the Mainboard and GPU instead , So:

A) What mainboard / GPU combination would you suggest to get the best performance out of new era DCS to go along with the I-5 2500K ? especially on online gameplay?? (I'm aiming for a medium+ to high level GPU, not ultra high end level Gpu , at least 4 GB RAM on the GPU though)

edit: some suggestions have already been given in previous posts , thx

B) Matt had mentioned in one of his recent Q&A vids , that DX 11 cards and crossfire will be much more supported,.... should I prefer going for a crossfire card setup or a better non-crossfire card instead ?

C) is there a specfic GPU processor brand , where it's commonly known that it's best suited for DCS ? (at least so far with current DCS 1.XX) -> afik ppl were pretty much complaining about ATI cards in DCS ...

D) How much RAM would you recommend to get on my mainboard ?

cheers

Edited by JABO2009

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

Guys, as the OP here, let me speak out a big "THANK YOU" for all your posts.

As the the "Lets wait and see" strategy seems pretty obvious - the decision to say good bye to my old ATI Sapphire HD 6850 1 GB RAM has already fallen. As some already predicted here - I would be disappointed in the Nevada/DCS 2.0 environment in any case with my old ATI GPU.

Let me pls state few more additional questions regarding new hardware compontens (Mainboard and GPU):

As my I5 - 2500K @ 3,3 Ghz - (with OC up to 3,7Ghz) processor seems worth enough to keep it and to upgrade the Mainboard and GPU instead , So:

A) What mainboard / GPU combination would you suggest to get the best performance out of new era DCS to go along with the I-5 2500K ? especially on online gameplay?? (I'm aiming for a medium+ to high level GPU, not ultra high end level Gpu , at least 4 GB RAM on the GPU though)

edit: some suggestions have already been given in previous posts , thx

B) Matt had mentioned in one of his recent Q&A vids , that DX 11 cards and crossfire will be much more supported,.... should I prefer going for a crossfire card setup or a better non-crossfire card instead ?

C) is there a specfic GPU processor brand , where it's commonly known that it's best suited for DCS ? (at least so far with current DCS 1.XX) -> afik ppl were pretty much complaining about ATI cards in DCS ...

D) How much RAM would you recommend to get on my mainboard ?

cheers

Why do you want replace the mainboard ? Is broken ? I also have a i5 2500k , overclocked at 4.2 ghz, and sometimes isn't sufficient for DCS World ( hope this is solved with the new engine). I have 16 GB of ram, that's because when I mount my computer the memory was very cheap, but I suppose that 8 GB is sufficient.

Regarding the GPU, the 970 is the best price/performance of the Nvidia cards ( The gpu brands usually use the same PCB provided by Nvidia, so the basic variant of a GPU should be the same for all brands, later there are overclocked editions, customs pcb's and refrigeration systems.. but if you are going to buy the basic 970 for example, all are the same. )

Why do you want replace the mainboard ? Is broken ? I also have a i5 2500k , overclocked at 4.2 ghz, and sometimes isn't sufficient for DCS World ( hope this is solved with the new engine). I have 16 GB of ram, that's because when I mount my computer the memory was very cheap, but I suppose that 8 GB is sufficient.

Regarding the GPU, the 970 is the best price/performance of the Nvidia cards ( The gpu brands usually use the same PCB provided by Nvidia, so the basic variant of a GPU should be the same for all brands, later there are overclocked editions, customs pcb's and refrigeration systems.. but if you are going to buy the basic 970 for example, all are the same. )

At the moment AMD card have better performance/price. A R9 290 or a R9 390 will give you better performance. Than their price equivalent for nvidia.

I also myself have a i5-200k. In preparation of 2.0 I have overclocked the CPU and have got my hands on a used R9 290.

Why do you want replace the mainboard ? Is broken ?

thx for your input. Well it's not broken , but my "a bit noob approach" was to think that a 2011 mainboard probably could develop as a bottleneck for modern GPUs and/or additional RAM ? the keyword Im thinking of is "PCI connection speed". So new GPU could be faster, but old motherboard doesnt let the speed through...Am I wrong here ?

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Yes, in fact probably for our socket the available motherboards today aren't top end like the day it was released.

I suggest to keep the mainboard and upgrade the memory and gpu. And try to overclock the CPU as much as you can.

In my case if my mainboard dies, probably didn't replace and switch to another new computer.. Can you tell me exactly what mainboard do you have ?

Edit : I make a quick search for mainboards in one of the main resellers on my country and for the socket 1155 only are 3 low end mainboards from 40 to 45 €.

Edited by S-GERAT

Can you tell me exactly what mainboard do you have ?

will let you know... Im not at my home / gaming PC right now.

I need some help,

what should i update before 2.0 or will my system be sufficient?

Processor Intel® Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Manufacturer Intel

Speed 3.4 GHz

Number of Cores 4

Video Card :NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

Manufacturer NVIDIA

Chipset GeForce GTX 660

Dedicated Memory 2048 MB

Total Memory 4.0 GB

Memory 6.2 GB

Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 (build 10240), 64-bit

Service Pack 0

Size 64 Bit

• ED Team
I need some help,

what should i update before 2.0 or will my system be sufficient?

Processor Intel® Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Manufacturer Intel

Speed 3.4 GHz

Number of Cores 4

Video Card :NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

Manufacturer NVIDIA

Chipset GeForce GTX 660

Dedicated Memory 2048 MB

Total Memory 4.0 GB

Memory 6.2 GB

Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 (build 10240), 64-bit

Service Pack 0

Size 64 Bit

Maybe another couple gig of memory, and see how you do after release.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Can you tell me exactly what mainboard do you have ?

here you go with the system Specs... btw: CPU is a 2400 @ 3,1 Ghz ( thought its a 2500K :doh:)

Mainboard specs you can find on the right chart...

37f88f35-142b-45e9-aaca-bc0c61165f50_zpsznn5puzm.jpg

here you go with the system Specs... btw: CPU is a 2400 @ 3,1 Ghz ( thought its a 2500K :doh:)

Mainboard specs you can find on the right chart...

37f88f35-142b-45e9-aaca-bc0c61165f50_zpsznn5puzm.jpg

Well, it's true that your motherboard chipset is one of the ones with worst performances and overclock capability. Even taking this on account, I'll buy a new graphic card and try without make any more changes.

Also, your processor isn't a really fast one, so buy another motherboard for it is not worth the money. I recommend you to get a new gpu and try how it works your computer, and if DCS World didn't run fine you can save money and buy another CPU+Motherboard+RAM. How much RAM do you have actually ?