CBU105 WCMD difficulties

WelshZeCorgi

I tried out one of the more crazier toys of the hog, the CBU 97 and man that thing is like the creative mad scientist/Rube Goldberg machine of bombs. Widely destructive yet intensively precise, when you manage to get that thing in the middle of a convoy or a motor pool it feels like it's moving heaven and earth.

But that's the problem, isn't it? Actually getting that thing on target. And even when you do, a strong persistent wind will carry the parachutes way off target, even when the bomb itself is planted perfectly where you wanted it.

The single mission "target practice" is a prime example, lots of clustered up targets yet a strong gale that always pushes the bomblet's off course when they are in the parachute stage.

Even the WCMD armed 105 version also seems to suffer from strong winds. Am I doing something wrong? Any advice on getting these things on target?

I tried out one of the more crazier toys of the hog, the CBU 97 and man that thing is like the creative mad scientist/Rube Goldberg machine of bombs. Widely destructive yet intensively precise, when you manage to get that thing in the middle of a convoy or a motor pool it feels like it's moving heaven and earth.

But that's the problem, isn't it? Actually getting that thing on target. And even when you do, a strong persistent wind will carry the parachutes way off target, even when the bomb itself is planted perfectly where you wanted it.

The single mission "target practice" is a prime example, lots of clustered up targets yet a strong gale that always pushes the bomblet's off course when they are in the parachute stage.

Even the WCMD armed 105 version also seems to suffer from strong winds. Am I doing something wrong? Any advice on getting these things on target?

Aim at a position upwind of the target so that the wind carries the bomblets onto the target area. It would be helpful to know how long it takes for the bomblets to get to the ground after release- then knowing wind speed and direction you could estimate where to aim with a decent level of accuracy.

Aim at a position upwind of the target so that the wind carries the bomblets onto the target area. It would be helpful to know how long it takes for the bomblets to get to the ground after release- then knowing wind speed and direction you could estimate where to aim with a decent level of accuracy.

Easier said than done, it's what I've been doing the past few days, been using the first bomb like a spotting round than trying to correct the difference on the second. What usually happens is that a few get caught by the skeets, maybe 2 or 3 out of the 14-20 targets and when that happens the survivors scatter and makes it even harder to get them on the second pass.

Any A10C pilots out there that can share their experiences with this munition and what they did on frustratingly windy days?

You can program wind correction in the CDU right? Doesn't it also calculate the drift on the parachutes and correct the drop position for it?

I don't personally know If it also calculates parachute drift and how to do it. I think I saw it in some YouTube video but then for mk82 bombs and not cbu-105

• Like 1

you don't need to aim upwind with CCIP , IF LASTE wind correction has been made. AFAIK, 97's are bugged to not drop where you want them. This is evident when you look from 14000 feet on smoke markers denoting where canister "kill circle" will be.

Also I noticed bomblet munitions hit the ground, then bounce, then sort of zap the target. This is unrealistic considering all vids I saw for 97's. In reality, they just exit canister, the chutes remain up, then detach when puck detects a heat signal.

If you see Mack's video (Future Weapons), you'll see what I want to say.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.