"Easy" mode AAR? Can we get it?

Trailer

I don't think I'm the only one who has problems with AARs, and even though I can do it, it takes so much time and effort to do it as it is in the game now. Practice, practice, practice, sure, but a lot of it has to do with the flight stick you're using. My X52 is starting to get a bit old and it has some itty bitty dead zones in it which makes it a nightmare for AARs...too much over or under-correction. Also, the autopilot that most of us have to use is practically a cheat for it, so I don't see why adjusting the difficulty would be a bad thing.

I was wondering if it would be possible to have back the LOMAC version of AARs? I'd really love to incorporate it into my missions and campaigns that I create, but as it stands it's so difficult and frustrating to do that most people would rather just land and refuel. What do you guys think? For those of you who may not remember, AARs in LOMAC were much more forgiving.

Tough question.

I understand it can be a lot harder depending on the hardware you use.

But I didn't like the augmented aerial refueling because it made one of the hardest things a pilot can do in military aviation pretty easy in the simulation. For me this is really immersion breaking.

Maybe a more intelligent boom operator (and a major rework of the probe and drogue system because the hose physics are pretty much non-existent and the nose of the aircraft and/or other parts can pass right through the drogue and so forth) could make aerial refueling both easier and more realistic.

What also bothers me a bit in the simulation is that judging the distance from the probe to the drogue is much harder than in real life, because everything is 2D (except for those of use who use VR). But I don't have a solution for that either.

And.. wait, what? Autopilot during refueling? The AP is supposed to be off.

If you turn on the AP altitude hold it's easier to connect.

For me, the immersion-breaking factor isn't nearly as breaking as the difficulty factor. I'm already flying an F-15 that's not a study sim so I don't care about the immersion factor, I just want AARs to be more doable. I don't even want to know how difficult the Flanker is. I have to constantly trim it just to fly straight and level. It doesn't have to be automatic or anything, but something along the lines of once you get a good connection it will take over from there and is more difficult to disconnect. It seems like if you're not using a Warthog stick or if your stick isn't perfect it makes it incredibly difficult.

Hell, I'd settle for a mod.

Edited by Trailer