Development Update September 2015

Ells228

Sure but Hawk and 101 haven't a realistic physic, full keybindings, working electronics and so on... so what should I testing? The 3D model? It works fine :smilewink:

That's is a PRE-ALPHA module.

The Hawk is pretty close to feature complete, especially on the ASM.

Couple of bugs to iron out but the actual feature list is pretty close, custom Aden pod being the most obvious.

Note I say feature complete, not bug free.

EFM is obviously still not available in the public version yet

Pman

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the information, always good to see developers communicating with the community, it can be painfully quiet on the eagle dynamics forums from time to time.

Shame about the Hawk dual seat, but i also understand that re-doing the flight model is a huge undertaking just for that one feature.

Cool stuff!

I'm glad to hear the update! And As far as potential things you might be able to be fixed or could be done soon,... What about adding some tutorial missions other than "Instant Action" (and i realize you guys are EXTREMELY busy and if you answered this question in your original post and i missed it, i apologize,)

in fact i am very pleased with the hawk as for how far it has come so far!, i just wish there were more missions available out of the box to really learn it's capabilities better!...Any thoughts on this though?

I'm glad to hear the update! And As far as potential things you might be able to be fixed or could be done soon,... What about adding some tutorial missions other than "Instant Action" (and i realize you guys are EXTREMELY busy and if you answered this question in your original post and i missed it, i apologize,)

in fact i am very pleased with the hawk as for how far it has come so far!, i just wish there were more missions available out of the box to really learn it's capabilities better!...Any thoughts on this though?

To be fair, anyone can create missions for the Hawk, as we have a mission editor as part of DCS World. Those with a little more knowledge and skill can also add in training features.

I too would like to add my best wishes and thanks to the guys at VEAO. Just keep doing what you're doing guys, you are much appreciated here by the quiet majority as this thread is clearly demonstrating. Never forget that, especially when you face adversity.

Thanks for the update, sad that its not all good news regarding the Hawk but at least there are other positives like new team members and lessons learned from problems, always a pleasure to hear honest news from VEAO.

Oh just one small detail : didnt see any info on maps, is there anything you can tell us about one of your planned new maps?

Edited by rajdary

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Training missions being worked on right now are High Level Nav, VFR navigation, Taxi, Take off, landing and circuit bashing.

The cold start training has been updated with voice over which will be in the next patch.

It also looks like the AI in DCS World will be getting an overhaul so we'll see what we can add in with these new features.

Maps; no news yet, we are still researching how the map tools work.

Yes we will be recording and releasing realistic sounds. As you can imagine getting up next to a Hawk to record it properly takes some time to organise.

Yes we will be recording and releasing realistic sounds. As you can imagine getting up next to a Hawk to record it properly takes some time to organise.

This may be the best news of the thread so far :thumbup: Really looking forward to the Hawk being finished with all of these awesome features... New Sound, new textures, new skins, true to reality weapons and no bugs... Good times ahead.

If you need anybody to sit in the back seat of the Hawk and hold the microphones, I'll waver my fee and do it out of the kindness of my heart, just ask. :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

EXCELLENT UPDATE!

VEAO, if you kept the flow of information going like that, I seriously think 90 percent of the problems you have had with your customers would vanish overnight.

Glad to hear things are coming along and as long as we know what the heck is going on, we are perfectly happy to wait! Sad to hear we won't get multicrew in the hawk, but you never advertised it as a feature so we shouldn't hold it against you. None the less extremely excited for the bird to be done, and yes at least flying from the other pit would be more than sufficient!

Thank you, I think you ought to consider reversing the whole WIP thing, because updates keep the community happy (mostly).

Hi Guys,

Whilst we are maintaining a no WIP screenshot policy on the forums or FB feed, we think it is only fair to you, our customers and potential customers to keep you updated on progress.

I've made the aircraft titles bold and the sections in italics so you can find what you want to know easily.

With that in mind I'll jump right in....

Hawk

EFM...EFM....EFM...that is all I keep bashing Pete and our team over the head with.

So, let me give you some background info on why it's been so long getting to you.

As you know the ASM was developed over several years; learning how to integrate with DCS, changes in the core sim, protection issues, all stuff you've heard before.

It's only recently that when we looked at integrating the ASM into our new base "Single Engine Non After-burning Jet" EFM (that was developed separately) that we noticed a few holes here, a few cracks there.

Suffice to say the ASM was not going to be an easy "drop-into" the EFM that we thought it would be using the method that was planned out with our ASM programmer.

We had to change the route of how that was going to work and we needed the source code to do it. Due to contractual reasons we only recently acquired the source code and found it was not compatible.

In addition, the relationship with the programmer broke down to the point it was untenable to work together and we brought in new blood.

Suffice to say we now have the source code and those holes and gaps are being plugged and a new way of getting the ASM and EFM talking to each other is being worked on.

When? I hear you scream at the screen...well...soon TM

Sorry, I had to...

In fact, in theory, it should take 2 weeks to integrate....yes I know....

However; we have to go through a set process, so please bear with me to explain it.

Step 1, we integrate the ASM and EFM now the gaps and holes are plugged.

Step 2, we test the hell out of it.

Step 3, we give it to our testers to make sure all ASM and EFM integration is working correctly.

Step 4, we give it to our Hawk pilot friends who will fly it, fly it some more and then fly it some more again, all the while making notes for us on it's performance on the ground and in the air; stalls, spins, take off, climb acceleration, dive acceleration, drag...the list goes on.

Step 5, we tweak it based on their feedback and they sign it off...champagne falls from the heavens, fireworks light up the sky and the VEAO team jet off to the Bahamas for a beach party to celebrate...wait, I didn't sign off those expenses Pete!!!

Step 6, we give it to ED to verify the flight model to their standards, be it EFM or PFM.

Step 7, we get it to you.

Now, any one of those steps could go very easily or very horribly wrong. Development is not as easy as it said it would be when I spoke to the recruiter back in the 80's when leaving school.

As we progress through those steps, I will let you know and keep you informed.

You may remember seeing a video of the Hawk on the ground using the EFM, that was the old way of doing things which simply did not work. So whilst we made progress a brick wall sprung up and halted the development.

My intention when we started this project was to have it to you far far sooner than now and everyone would be enjoying flying it. But sadly due to the problems I've mentioned above, plus a few more headaches, and as frustrating as it is for me to still not be flying it, it will be coming to you soon, you have my word.

Bugs...bugs...bugs...well we squashed quite a few recently. With the patch of DCS 1.5 on the horizon we have been hard at work fixing things that either didn't work, didn't work properly or needed tweaking. I've recently posted up what is expected to be released with 1.5 and we are still working on more so thank you to everyone that has posted up their issues, we are listening to you.

New Skins

In addition, with the introduction of new countries into DCS 1.5 we will be adding to our collection a Swiss skin pack. Our talented research assistant Dominic surprised me this weekend at Duxford showing me the skins he has produced, that I had no idea existed.

I have yet to bring them into DCS 1.5 which I will be doing over the next few days and hope these will be released with the patch once I've checked all is OK with them. I'll be posting some screenshots soon.

Which brings me on nicely to Cockpit Textures.

We listened to your feedback and updated them, we listened again (after texturegate) and decided to bring into the team a new texture artist to start from scratch. He has been hard at work making new textures for the P-40 and now that he has finished those he has started on Hawk ones. In which time we managed to get some photos of some in-service RAF Hawks.

So, when he is finished with them and we sneakily integrate them into a future DCS patch without telling you, we hope you will be pleasantly surprised when you spawn in the cockpit.

Rear Seat...hmmmmm

We now have indication from ED on how rear seat integration works within DCS 1.5 and unfortunately it's not good news for us.

I'll keep it short. We would have to start our ASM programming again from scratch. The current code structure we have for Hawk will simply cause more problems than if we started again and will not work with ED's structure.

Right now we will not be doing rear seat integration into the current Hawk module.

P-40F

One good thing is that we have learnt a lot of lessons from developing Hawk for DCS. Those lessons have paid off developing P-40F.

However; one drawback is that a prop aircraft is vastly different from a jet aircraft in more ways than is obvious.

With that being said we have experienced problems with P-40 EFM that we don't see in Hawk, namely wheels and suspension on the ground and how they move. Our team is tirelessly working around the clock, with help from ED to solve one major bug which is gear suspension.

The problem with the gear is that the aircraft suspension code isn’t working properly and that the P-40F rides around with its gear at full extension at all times making it unstable.

Right now all focus is on that. The rest of development will fall in very quickly behind it as not much is left to do as those that have flown it at Duxford over the past two air shows can attest to.

What it does mean is that I cannot guarantee that it will be out in September. No one is more disappointed with that than Pete, the team and I am, trust me.

I can't even do the promo video, unless you just want to see it taxiing around the airfield. P-40 Wacky Races anyone?

As with Hawk EFM, we have to go through the same steps as 3 onwards above and we should be at step 6 by now.

One thing I can guarantee is that we will not release the aircraft until it is right, nor will ED let us.

Again, I will keep you updated on progress.

Typhoon

A general update is that work has started on the digital displays. I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome Priller to the team who is working with me on the digital displays.

I've spent the past several months evaluating what avionics suite functions we can and can't put into the aircraft, for security reasons, and I will be working full time on Typhoon personally from October as I have left my day job to work on VEAO full time.

What this does mean is that we will not meet my personal 2015 deadline for Typhoon release. I wanted to be flying around in DCS with it by Christmas but apparently Santa thinks I've been naughty and so it is not to be.

The new external model is almost complete and work on Typhoon cockpit will start soon. For now, we are using our military demonstrator to work on the systems which will simply plug into the new model.

I'm looking forward to my next trip to Conningsby in the coming weeks to play some more with the MHDD displays.

Staff and Recruiting

In addition to Priller, I'd also like to welcome Kevin "Gibbage" Miller to the team. Gibbage is renowned for his work on the original IL2 games with Oleg Maddox. He worked on models for Forgotten Battles, Pacific Fighters and 1946 all under the IL2 banner and we are very pleased to see his excellent work for DCS, which his first aircraft is being animated right now by our team.

If you've flown IL2 you will have likely flown in one of his models.

From what I saw this weekend of the aircraft he has modeled and textured, you will be blown away. Oh yeah, that's one of the surprise ones you'll hear about soon ;)

Welcome to the VEAO team guys.

We are constantly looking for talented people to join our team and right now is no exception.

If you have aeronautical engineering background or experience and can program in C++ then please contact me via PM to have an initial chat.

As we work on more complex aircraft we need to expand the team.

I know there are some very talented people in this community and I'd like to reach out to you before I go to the wider market.

Come and join us on our DCS journey.

In Summary

I'm sure there is some news above that you didn't want to hear but if you know me by now, you know I like to tell it how it is, truth, fact and what I would want to know if I was a customer or generally interested.

We are working on some great but complex aircraft and with a new DCS engine we are going to come up with obstacles. But we have a great team that are dedicated to bringing these products to you and I am proud to work with them.

I hope you got some useful information from above and I look forward to flying with you in DCS Soon TM, maybe in two weeks...who knows....

Chris and Pete

VEAO... Chris tanks for your amazing job

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lots of good news on the Hawk! I can't wait to try out the EFM. Disappointing regarding the rear seat (for you and us I'm sure) but it is understandable.......Oh and very good news on the textures, I don't think the Hawk is bad at all as is, but I wont complain about any improvements. Thank you very much for the update, always appreciated. :thumbup:

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for the communication..

BeachAV8R

Hey,Chris... does this means we wont get spitfire this year, that the p40 is the goal? we are down to three months. I know you are trying to avoid dates or ETAs like a plague, but somehow I'm under the notion of thinking a spitfire is going to be released this year.

Thanks for update. P40 is looking awesome!!!

Specs: i7-4790K @4.00 ghz, EVGA 2080ti , 16GB ram, Samsung 512GB SSD x2.

Gear: Virpil Alpha stick with Mongoos T-50CM2 throttle, Combat-Pro flight pedals, Track ir 5 & Reverb G2

Hey,Chris... does this means we wont get spitfire this year, that the p40 is the goal? we are down to three months. I know you are trying to avoid dates or ETAs like a plague, but somehow I'm under the notion of thinking a spitfire is going to be released this year.

Thanks for update. P40 is looking awesome!!!

No Spitfire will not be in 2015, development of a some aspects of P-40 have taken longer than expected and bumped it into 2016

Pman

I appreciate the candidness about your progress.

For me the primary reason for jumping straight on the bandwagon and ordering the full Hawk was the implied or perhaps inferred (by me) end goal of dual-seat operations. Since that was for me the single defining feature of the Hawk, (and I always used to buy stuff as soon as it became available) I bought is as soon I could from VEAO.

Needless to say that I am very disappointed. If I could I would return the product or even pass it on to someone who might appreciate it in it's current state. It seems that throwing money at 3rd party devs ( VEAO and Aviodev at the mo ) will not automatically get me what is promised. So I have decided to no pre-purchase any 3rd party planes anymore but wait until they have actually delivered what was promised.