Next module?

Chann3l

I'm not sure what to get next. I own the mig21, mig15, f15, su27, preordered the L39, mirage and nttr. I have 32 bonus dollars and I can't decide between the A10C, the ka50, huey, or Mi8. I have enough air to air purposed modules for now I think. Also considering the su25 but I prefer to have full systems modeling so I'm not sure. Thoughts?

Edited by Chann3l

I have every module available, but haven't gotten into the A10C yet.

I have all the Helo's, but started with the Shark. So far it's the one I like best, very easy to fly, but you can get overburdened with tasks at the beginning if you try to make attack runs and keep it in the air at the same time. The Vikr is a blessing for just about anything. And the gun can track via the Shkval. Pods take time to learn. The PVI 800 system is very nice but a bit funny to program, but using ABRIS to find your points and type them in the PVI is easy.

The Huey is a very good transport as is the Mi8, I just find the Mi8 more fun to fly, it's a bit like flying a Big rig truck. Weapons delivery is more than adequate in the huey, but the Mi8 has more options and a lot of buttons and levers to push, so for me the immersion is in favor of the Mi8..

So for CAS: Shark, transport it's the Mi8.

Anything with a Rotary Wing is fun and challenging.

Use SRS radio.

Saitek X55 Modding

System Specs

Mixed Metals: i7 4790K@4.6, 32GB Kingston HyperX ram@2400Mhz, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, ASUS Vega 64, 3xSamsung SSD drives, FSP Aurum 1000W PSU, Custom watercooling with EK blocks, Vive, Virpil MT 50, X55 throttle.

I have every module available, but haven't gotten into the A10C yet.

I have all the Helo's, but started with the Shark. So far it's the one I like best, very easy to fly, but you can get overburdened with tasks at the beginning if you try to make attack runs and keep it in the air at the same time. The Vikr is a blessing for just about anything. And the gun can track via the Shkval. Pods take time to learn. The PVI 800 system is very nice but a bit funny to program, but using ABRIS to find your points and type them in the PVI is easy.

The Huey is a very good transport as is the Mi8, I just find the Mi8 more fun to fly, it's a bit like flying a Big rig truck. Weapons delivery is more than adequate in the huey, but the Mi8 has more options and a lot of buttons and levers to push, so for me the immersion is in favor of the Mi8..

So for CAS: Shark, transport it's the Mi8.

Thanks for the input I'm leaning towards the ka 50 now as I don't have any helicopters and it sounds like it would be the best for air to ground attacks.

The A-10C remains the backbone of my modules library for several reasons. The aircraft is VERY versatile.

In my opinion is the most important module coded yet on DCS world. It is very complex and that makes you able to perform several tasks in different manners as you see fit. I got the bird before it's release, but without a decent CPU, I dug into it in the early 2013 only, the best 3 months in my simulation experience ever. It's a joy to fly.

It's a whole new other game when you're in command of one. Really. RWR and targeting pod pilot synchronization to find a A-A defense system, configuring ordances fuses, CCIP ordnance deployment, CCRP ordnance deployment. Gun cross hairs for different situations and terrains and a whole lot more to play and to familiarize.

I have the Su-25, and the 10C it's nothing like it, unless you go 80s style but still, it's another plane. I love the 25a and had a few months obsessed with she, it is a beauty of it's own.

I cannot stress enough, if you like ground pounding, you should get the A-10C.

I prefer more the Mi-8 than the huey for strangely unkown reasons from me. I haven't put a real thought about it until this moment. Both choppers are a delight.

If you are into stealth or more a low key helicopter vibe, go for the Ka-50. It's almost like the A-10C with rotor blades on top. There's no mistake choosing the shark over any of available modules if it seems fit to you. (watch decent dcs pilots youtube videos, you'll get the feel)

Edit: now I saw your last post. If you feel like the Shark is a great way to go; go for it! It's worth it! Even better with a wingman, and I believe is most recommended... There's a great depth on controlling the bird and when you get the hang of it, flying and destroying targets, it's heaven!

Good hunting those MBTs! :thumbup:

Edited by Czar66

Thank you both for your input. I took the plunge and went for the KA 50. Now I really have enough modules to last me a long time lol.

You made an extremely good call. The Ka-50 is an absolute beauty once you get used to its quirks. :thumbup:

• Like 1

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

Thank you both for your input. I took the plunge and went for the KA 50. Now I really have enough modules to last me a long time lol.

Good choice, my friend! Tough to choose between those modules because they are all incredible. The A-10C is a killing machine, the Huey a rush to fly, and the KA-50 a real challenge. I think you will love the KA-50.

Good choice, my friend! Tough to choose between those modules because they are all incredible. The A-10C is a killing machine, the Huey a rush to fly, and the KA-50 a real challenge. I think you will love the KA-50.

So far it's pretty enjoyable, I've barely been able to take off but it seems like there will be a lot to learn. I'm still very much getting used to operating throttle and collective and am still working out my hotas mappings. It's interesting try to keep a helicopter in the air when you are used to the planes lol.

So far it's pretty enjoyable, I've barely been able to take off but it seems like there will be a lot to learn. I'm still very much getting used to operating throttle and collective and am still working out my hotas mappings. It's interesting try to keep a helicopter in the air when you are used to the planes lol.
You don't operate the throttle. You must set it to automatic.

You don't operate the throttle. You must set it to automatic.

Yep.

The single most important thing to get your head around is trim usage. Unless you're using a force feedback stick, you almost certainly want to have the Trimmer Central Position option checked. Once you have that, you need to remember the following steps every time you want to move the cyclic:

1. Hold the trim button down

2. Maneuver the helicopter to the correct attitude

3. Release the trim button

4. Release the stick back to neutral

The one thing you need to watch out for is that your cyclic will very occasionally become "locked" after this sequence. Just move the stick around its centre point slightly and it'll free up.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you've got it you'll find that your movements become very fluid.

Hope that helps.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

If learning a chopper for the first time I would highly recommend using the joystick position "cheat" as it is critical to know where your virtual non centering stick is trimmed and how this relates to your real life self centering joystick.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Thanks for all the pointers, I was just confused by throttle, as I'm the ka 50 it's just put in auto and left alone from what I understand versus constant operation in a plane. I have managed to do the start up, take off, operate the auto pilot, and the nav system so far so good.

Making progress then...

You may need emergency throttle for um.. emergencies, this is not critical to waste Hotas buttons on but is nice to have.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

What Hotas do you have?

I have an x55 but I also built a custom toggle box with 10 spdt toggle switches so I have a ton of buttons just need to figure out what to assign, obviously my mig21 controls don't translate so well for helicopters except axis assignments I suppose lol.

Sweet, ensure throttle up and down if possible when required it will not disappoint. I do not know the X55 but if possible, programme it as the last part of the cyclic throw.... it will serve you well.

Also control of the auto pilots (or stabilisers) is critical.. each and every one independently.

Emergency auto pilot (stabs) off is essential... MoFo is on the real cyclic for a reason!

This chopper is so agile it is unreal.

If you know how to control the bear back 6 bladed warrior then the auto stabs will offer little resistance.

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 1

Sweet, ensure throttle up and down if possible when required it will not disappoint. I do not know the X55 but if possible, programme it as the last part of the cyclic throw.... it will serve you well.

Also control of the auto pilots (or stabilisers) is critical.. each and every one independently.

Emergency auto pilot (stabs) off is essential... MoFo is on the real cyclic for a reason!

This chopper is so agile it is unreal.

If you know how to control the bear back 6 bladed warrior then the auto stabs will offer little resistance.

Ya well the throttle on the x55 can be unlocked to act as 2 for planes with 2 engines so at the moment I have one part of the throttle mapped to collective and the other part mapped to throttle but if the throttle is more just an on off type of function then I'll probably just assign the throttle to a toggle switch because I prefer to have the throttle as one unit, feels better lol.

If you are all new to helicopters, the advice that lead me to a better control in the very beginnings was: focus on keeping the nose pointing were you want, don't let it drift left or right.

It does not apply so much to the specific case of the ka-50 with her coaxial rotors and autopilot channels, but is a great general advice for helicopters.