Oi, Glowing Amraam! over here!

Zahael

Love your work man. You've inspired me to try making some video myself. I have some questions tho, and if you don't mind sharing some trade secrets, I would love to pick your brain a bit.

I have 3 questions: In your movies you get they real glowing effect in you games, like the contrast is turned way up or something. It looks very impressive and almost like the image is computer generated. I remember reading somewhere that you "rendered" your movie? What does that mean, and how can I do it? I am in the process of download Vegas 6.0 - do you use that program? Cheers

Second Question: What do you use for sound? I assume you don't record the sound direct from the game, and actually add your own sound in editing later - is that correct? I have noticed a few people talking about a realistic soudn effects add on, ZZZ or something.

Third and Final - You have some great camera angles in you game, and some great views. I was wondering how you recorded your movies with fraps. Do you record short movies (maybe a plane flying past a building etc) then cease recording, only to edit the movies together later, or do you create a track, and do it that way?

Thanks Glowing Amraam. I understand that what you do is way too complicated to convey over a Forum. I am just after some pointers, and then hopefully will be able to trial and error my way to success!

Any help is apprecated.

Cheers

Zahael

• ED Team

I have 3 questions: In your movies you get they real glowing effect in you games, like the contrast is turned way up or something. It looks very impressive and almost like the image is computer generated. I remember reading somewhere that you "rendered" your movie? What does that mean, and how can I do it? I am in the process of download Vegas 6.0 - do you use that program? Cheers

Yes i use Vegas 6.0d to edit and RENDER my movies.

When you are done editing your movie within vegas, to make it into video file (.wmv - .avi - etc..) you have to RENDER the movie. This is no magic, this is just the term we use when the movie is beeing saved into whatever codec you wanted it to be.:thumbup:

And yeah, i add darker colors, glow and some third effect to my clips to give the look you see in my movies, particulary my last one.

Second Question: What do you use for sound? I assume you don't record the sound direct from the game, and actually add your own sound in editing later - is that correct? I have noticed a few people talking about a realistic soudn effects add on, ZZZ or something.

You are correct, i don't record or use sound from within the game, i add everything during editing.

But you are correct though, there are sound mods out there from both ZZZspace and Archer. I have a combination of both creators when i play, to get the best result. Do a search for these 2 people, and you'll come across the mods im talking about. ;)

Third and Final - You have some great camera angles in you game, and some great views. I was wondering how you recorded your movies with fraps. Do you record short movies (maybe a plane flying past a building etc) then cease recording, only to edit the movies together later, or do you create a track, and do it that way?

I use fraps to record my footage, yeah. I slow time down 1 time in lockon and record, then i speed the clip up 100% (or more) in Vegas to get a very nice frame rate on the clip. And i record segments, yes. I create tracks for whatever it is i want to show. I want a dogfight scene, i create a dogfight scene. I find an angle, record, stop - find new angle, record - stop... and so on. In the fraps folder, in the end, it will be filled with lots of different fraps footage. ;)

Thanks again for your comments, and im glad you enjoyed my little short movie.

Hope these comments help.

Cheers:)

Cheers Glow. Thanks for your help man, it all looks fantastic and I am keen to break out the editor and see if i can produce some movies to your level. I did a fair bit of reading before I decided to get into this, and you seem to set the standard. Hope you aren't an accountant in real life man. You are wasting your talent if you are.

Quick question - those extra effects you were talking about, the glow and the like. Are they public add ons or downloads? If its a trade secret, no worries. But they look great.

Cheers.

Zahael

Hello,

About the glow and color correction, you can get even better results with real compositing programs like after effects, combustion, shake and others.

Think, that everything you can do with photoshop on still images, you can do that with a compositing program with moving images(movie), so you can go really far.

I use vegas only for editing, all camera movements, color correction and effects i do that in Combustion and Digital fusion and lightwave3d for some effects and camera movements.

About the rendering its not totally true what amraam said, rendering is the process where your pc or software calculate the image to the final image.

Its the process where it generate all the pixels for the image.

So all those effects you put on your image or movie, the pc cant play it in real time, or not at high res. So you need to render to see the final result as movie.

For the sound effects, here in belgium you can rent cds at te library, and there are a lot of sound libraries, or you could be lucky like me and work at workplace where we use hollywood sound effects. ;)

I use fraps to record my footage, yeah. I slow time down 1 time in lockon and record, then i speed the clip up 100% (or more) in Vegas to get a very nice frame rate on the clip. And i record segments, yes. I create tracks for whatever it is i want to show. I want a dogfight scene, i create a dogfight scene. I find an angle, record, stop - find new angle, record - stop... and so on. In the fraps folder, in the end, it will be filled with lots of different fraps footage. ;)

Is that how you capture your grea nice smooth camera shots?, due to the speed being slower?

dredd4hd0.jpg

---= 169th Panthers -Flt Lt.- =---

http://www.169thpanthers.com.au

tbdreddey7.png

AMD64 S939 3700 | 2GB Corsair DDR500 | 21" CRT

ATI Radeon X800Pro | 2x36GB WD Raptors | SB Audigy

TIR3 | TM-868 | X52 | CH Pedals | Creative 5.1 Spkrs

For colors, increase the color contrast on the picture. Then add a little glow. For sounds.....um....not quite sure what you mean by "change sound"..

I add all sound during editing.

Hey !

Can you explain how you decrease speed just by one ? I know how to decrease speed by i don't know how to control this decrease.

• ED Team

CTRL A - Increase speed

SHIFT A - normal speed

ALT A - Decrease speed

Right before recording, hit shift A just to be sure you are at normal speed, then right after, hit ALT A 1 time. Then speed this clip up 100% in the editor. Now it will look normal speed, plus the fps will be smooth.

hey movie guys,

one question..I am putting together a movie in vegas. After 12 hrs or lesser..:p..lo avi tool rendered my movie at 15 fps..becos taht is how I understood ur message...I thought slowthe intial avi take. Now how do speed it in vegas? I try setting the project fpsto 30 and there doesn't seem much change :(

And...

can u explain with a little graphical tutorial of how to do the camera jiggle in vegas ? :p

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

• ED Team

I record using FRAPS, not the .avi tool. Not sure why you selected to create the .avi with 15 fps though....

With fraps, you slow time down 1 time, record, and speed the clips up in Vegas.

Setting the desired fps to 30 in the project settings wont do squat to the clips. You have to select each clip, right click ---------> properties ---------> change speed from 1.000 -------> 2.000

The clip will move at normal speed and have twice the fps.

Now for camera jiggle in vegas.....it's hardly "jiggle", more like creating motion in the clip.

If you zoom in a little on the clips (zoom in on the timeline), at the very right edge of the clips, there are some small icons.

The icon in the middle should say something about "Event Pan/Crop". Click this icon.

Look at the attached pictures to see how to do it.

After the keying is done, play the clip and the view should now move around, giving the impression of camera movement.

step1.thumb.JPG.cde384c80b618530a08213aa08899f58.JPG

step2.thumb.JPG.1fa27988414e1485f6ee2e74b29c2b23.JPG

step3.thumb.JPG.c5372705d04d8cf0c26c69eb4c7b595f.JPG

step4.thumb.JPG.0e74010924da4b9dc95e3331eeb7c1e7.JPG

step5.thumb.JPG.f1a254fe77d7a7d0a60b84f60dbf275a.JPG

wow..do u believe it..I was actually playing around with it...but I just moved the entire box as it is...so it did nothing :(...

well...this is much clearer. thanx dude.:) :thumbup:

hm...:(....I really don't want to re-record clips as it takes too long. The reason I chose lo avi is since I can pump up settings to MAX and in avi stuttering is miniaml. as u know..I still use my desktop with a ati 9800 pro to play lomac...so its not that powerful. Can u give me a suggestion at which fps should I render if I am using the lo avi tool?

thanx m8. :D

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

oooh....another question...I wanted to use the fx in vegas...the light rays and especially the lens glare. If I apply it...it stays on for the entire clip. So should I just cut the clip to the part that needs lens flare...and then apply the fx??

And what about the transitions in between the clip segments. By segments I mean...when I cut out pieces of that avi in that timeline...everything becomes segments. now from one segment to the other....as in ur movies...how do I put the little barely noticablewhite flash? I think there is a couple of transitions based on it in vegas.

lol...last question...remember you showed me once that I can do moving light rays with vegas? Can you give me some help with how to do it?

Well...you know what....you should probably get some webspace from Thomas or Mr WOlf to put your tutorials like the jiggle one here. I can make the web design. :D

oooh....another question...I wanted to use the fx in vegas...the light rays and especially the lens glare. If I apply it...it stays on for the entire clip. So should I just cut the clip to the part that needs lens flare...and then apply the fx??

And what about the transitions in between the clip segments. By segments I mean...when I cut out pieces of that avi in that timeline...everything becomes segments. now from one segment to the other....as in ur movies...how do I put the little barely noticablewhite flash? I think there is a couple of transitions based on it in vegas.

lol...last question...remember you showed me once that I can do moving light rays with vegas? Can you give me some help with how to do it?

Well...you know what....you should probably get some webspace from Thomas or Mr WOlf to put your tutorials like the jiggle one here. I can make the web design. :D

I think that what you are looking for is that you have to use the key points. Not really easy to explain this. On a first one you can add the lens flare , and then on the next key point you turn it off so it won't stay the whole clip.

For an example of Key points look at Glowings Pictures he posted. The keypoints are the points at the bottom of the screen where you place the Diamond to specify what you want the program to do at what point in that clip. For Light Rays for example if a clip is 5 secs long. Your first keypoint will be at the far left which should be about .1 sec with the lens flare from the left. and the last one should be at about 5 sec with teh lens flare moved to the right. When you start the clip, the flare should now move from left to right in that 5 secs. Hope this was easy to understand. S!

great!! thanx buds..I'll give it a shot :D....right nowI am trying to get some more footage. :)

• 2 weeks later...