When is the best time to really buy hardware?

Fakum

With the expectation of 1.5 being released soon, I was hoping by Christmas that 1.5 would be out long enough for bench markers to have recommendations on the best parts for a new build. I am planning on doing an upgrade when I can make an educated decision on what to buy, there are a lot of theories already out there on what SHOULD be used. I'm just trying to understand when is really the best time to get discounts/sales on parts. I am already seeing Black Friday deals etc. Whats your opinion? Thanks

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

As a rule of thumb from an IT guy, there never is a sweetspot to buy or hold off, there are always platforms fading away for little money while newer systems emerge on the shelf with a big plus on the price tag just cause it's brand new and rare...

Sometimes it makes sense to wait for some specific parts but in general, buy it when you need it.

Anyway, you wont gain much if you change platform, the 4.8GHz will be pretty much it, maybe 5-max10% more performance..IF at all...for such big money.

Add another 8GB and get a decent video card ( 980series or if´you trust 1.5, get the R9AMD ), that I think will get you the furthest for a fair price.

just my 2 cents

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Well, we were hearing good things about the 6000 series intel cpus so i went for them as soon as they stopped being $5,000 or even $500.

Lots of new stuff in terms of CPU's/motherboards/RAM not to mention NVMe drives have just hit the market, so I pieced together a new system while the stuff is still hot under the theory that I more (longer before even newer stuff comes out) bang for the buck.

I think anything you put together with current hardware is going to run 1.5 just fine. It's not like anything significant will be out in the next few weeks., although as you say maybe uou can hit aome food deals on black friday and ao on.

The only thing I'd look at is what's new in Nvidia news. I think I bought my 970's this time last yeard and I have no idea what's on the horizon.

That said, as with any pricy upgrades you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. My timing and rationale is good for no one else.

I'm looking at upgrading my rig as well, even though my current one should be able to handle 1.5 without issues. Everything on my current rig is new expect the chip and motherboard (current have a intel i7-2600k). So been looking at either going to Devil's Canyon version or Skylake intel chip. With Skylake I would have to get the motherboard, chip, and new ram since it uses DDR4 instead of DDR3, so basically adds another 150 to the price.

What I do is look on newegg for sales and see if the parts I want ever go on sale. If they do I'll get it. Otherwise I'll wait a bit.

The question is - what is your current rig now and can you upgrade small part at a time?

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

As a rule of thumb from an IT guy, there never is a sweetspot to buy or hold off, there are always platforms fading away for little money while newer systems emerge on the shelf with a big plus on the price tag just cause it's brand new and rare...

Sometimes it makes sense to wait for some specific parts but in general, buy it when you need it.

Anyway, you wont gain much if you change platform, the 4.8GHz will be pretty much it, maybe 5-max10% more performance..IF at all...for such big money.

Add another 8GB and get a decent video card ( 980series or if´you trust 1.5, get the R9AMD ), that I think will get you the furthest for a fair price.

just my 2 cents

Valid point in deed in the minimum upgrade,, I was definitely going to get a new GPU and up the memory,, I wasn't sure after that if I would benefit from a new CPU that would be worth the $$$,,, thanks for your input. If I remain froogle, I may only do just that, but if I find out a new MOBO would be beneficial as well, I would consider it,, but other than upgrading out of the SSD field onto the new technology drives (which I know nothing about) I will likely not do so.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I'm looking at upgrading my rig as well, even though my current one should be able to handle 1.5 without issues. Everything on my current rig is new expect the chip and motherboard (current have a intel i7-2600k). So been looking at either going to Devil's Canyon version or Skylake intel chip. With Skylake I would have to get the motherboard, chip, and new ram since it uses DDR4 instead of DDR3, so basically adds another 150 to the price.

What I do is look on newegg for sales and see if the parts I want ever go on sale. If they do I'll get it. Otherwise I'll wait a bit.

The question is - what is your current rig now and can you upgrade small part at a time?

My specs are in my sig. I don't usually spend countless hours shopping to look for deals, once I know what I want, I use resources like Slickdeals to alert me when a particular part I want goes on sale somewhere. Like I said, I'm trying to get a sense of buying times,, you know how around Christmas or so you get all these adds about amazing discounts etc,,, just don't know if its really the real deal if you will,,,,