Recommended Server Host

Hey guys,

I'm trying to find a good dedicated or VPS server for hosting DCS.

Do any of you have any recommendations? Who do you all currently host with?

Will DCS run on Windows Server 2008 or 2012? I guess the issue is mostly does the server have a graphics card.

The first host I've stumbled across is Contabo (https://contabo.com/?show=vps) who seem to have reasonable prices for VPS and Dedicated. I assume a VPS won't be able to run DCS as the graphics card will be inaccessible?

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Hello

I'm interested if anyone has a feedback about Contabo, too.

@ Ciribob: until now, we run a dedicated @ OVH (France); i5 2500K, 16GB RAM. The CPU embeds a graphic chip HD2000 (or 3000 don't remember) that was OK for DCS up to 1.2.16.

Problem is, this graphic chip is "only" DirectX 10.1 compatible. So DCS 1.5 doesn't run on the server (it's an affirmative, I tested).

About the OS: when I set up this server, back in 2012, I found that Win2008R2 = DCS crashes at launch (graphic issue?) while Win2012 = DCS runs. Both OS were used through RDP, may be different with VNC. Exact same hardware. So even if I can't tell exactly why technically, I advice for Win2012.

VPS: Lots of guys who tried came back disapointed. When they are able to run DCS, it works for a very limited number of clients (e.g. 4). At 10+ players, it's unplayable. Refer to various topic in this section.

Plus, from a theorical point of view, better a dedicated than a VPS for gaming (I know, it's more expensive).

FWIW as we are currently assessing which new server we'll need, we are looking at:

• MC32 @ OVH. Low price, i7 with DX11 capability, but no Windows (said incompatible; I'm waiting for a definite answer from them on this question); higher models (with windows compatibility) are far too expensive and Xeon-based = no DirectX (and OVH doesn't offer a "true GPU" option).
  • 6-Core @ Contabo. Comparable price as our current rig with a true GT640 (option). But the CPU is old i7s (970, 980...) => less than our current i5 = no go; I'm discussing with Contabo now to see if a better i7 is possible for same price.
  • X @ Contabo. A monster (64GB RAM!) above our needs, but nice CPUs. Needs a GPU too (option). 10€/month more than the "6-Core".

++

Az'

PS: so far, great service from Contabo. They answer questions (by email) on a saturday night or a sunday morning, even if I'm not a client at the moment.

Edited by Azrayen

spacer.png

Thanks Azrayen for such a great reply!

I'll checkout OVH and keep trawling for dedicated servers with GPUs.

If I find anything better than your looking at I'll let you know.

Fingers crossed they can upgrade the CPU as that one from contabo looks like a winner.

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Got a reply from Contabo. Not possible to implement a high-end i7 CPU on the "6-Core" server.

Now, I'm just waiting for OVH to tell me if there is really nothing to do for Windows on their MC-32.

If not, I think we'll go for the "X" @ Contabo.

spacer.png

Thanks Azrayen, did OVH ever get back?

If you do go with the X from contabo please let me know how it goes! :) Looks like the best deal out there that I can find.

• 4 weeks later...

Ooops sorry for answering so late.

We have contact with OVH, as "testers" for a Windows-equipped MC-32. So far, the server is not online (OVH seems to have issues managing Windows installation) so we're waiting (im)patiently.

If it doesn't work out, we'll try Contabo. They have confirmed to me that if we ask while ordering, they can manage to install the server X with the better of the 2 CPUs.

++

Az'

spacer.png

We'll need ~1 month more for OVH to be ready (they have to implement new hardware, the current motherboard isn't compatible with Windows Server).

With DCS 1.5 still in Open Beta, we can wait.

I'll try to remember to update this post when things move, one way or another.

Regards,

Az'

spacer.png

Thanks for the update Azrayen. Hope it goes well!