M2000 vs Mig-21

LuSi_6

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And heeeeeere we go again......

Please explain? I'm not saying this is how things are, I'm just saying what I thought the first time.

I would agree for the MiG 29 biggrin.gif

Yeah, MiG-29 fills the bill too. But I flew the MiG-21 a lot more, so that's what came first to my mind.

Except maybe for datalink? not sure about that.

Yeah, well...like they say in the movies: "Here's looking at you, kid" biggrin.gif

Haha we need a similar video against a FW-190 now

Edited by PiedDroit

i actually don't fear much the mirage. 4 pylons, that isn't much stuff to dodge. Once within R3R range (Pk=0.9), mirage is dead meat. it will come down to the mirage bvr missile Pk, and to the mirage RCS. Once mirage is locked by mig, its too late. If i had to drive the mirage against mig, i wouldn't rely too much on those fancy corner speed charrs and aerodynamic marketing campaign. I would either try to get kill from range, or try to sneak around. An head on merge is the last thing you wanna do against migs 21.

lol

Well, good thing in the end. Enemy's overconfidence will just give further advantage to Mirage pilots...

Yeah, well...like they say in the movies: "Here's looking at you, kid" :D

Nice, you can handle AI... but who can't?

I really don't get the point you're trying to make with that... just trolling maybe? ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mud, wind and fire.

Haha we need a similar video against a FW-190 now

LOL, I'm afraid I had the same idea for a while. Thing is, any hack can get off some lucky shots regardless of what he's flying. I bet there's even a theoretic chance for a Mustang...head on, spraying bullets. But then, we are really into suicidal non-sense ;)

Ah well, I'm so getting the M2000. Gonna land it on Charles de Gaulle. I wonder how much headwind I need?

Edited by SFC Tako

Heck I've decided imma buy the Mirage 2000 just so I can challenge any MiG-21 pilots out there who thinks they can effectively fight it, esp. in a guns only situation :D

Ill take you up on that. Once you get the EFM. Just to keep it fair. ;)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

This is an extract of a conversation held with our EFM developer (CptSmiley):

Bout to leave to get on a flight, but before I saw the Mig21 vs M2000 discussion...fired up the EFM vs a MiG-21, .... At the beginning, I have a speed advantage so I can turn around him. However, once we get into a turning battle, the fight slows to about 200 knots but in short bursts I can get the edge on him, but its tough. Also, I found best strategy assuming guns only was to accelerate upward and out of the fight and then turn and burn back in for a glancing pass. The turning fight is doable but seems to me much easier to hit and run. In any event the fight was a hell of a lot of fun and the FCS and aero still need a bit of tuning.

The reply, by another team member, was:

At 220kts/ M0.34, in sustain turn rate the Mirage enjoy 14°/s Vs 11.5°/S for MiG-21MF

The the slower the smaller is the advantage.

So indeed yes, below 200kts the edge is narrow and it is smarter to use superior power to egress and get back in better conditions.

The Mirage has the edge over the whole flight envelop, but I think it's smarter to stay at speed above 200kt or even 350kt where you can still perform 9G turn at sea level !

Just to tease all of you, :P

Edited by Zeus67

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Real life figures for 15,000 ft:

MiG-21

Max STR = 9.5 deg/sec / Max ITR = 17.2 deg/sec

21.jpg

Mirage 2000

Max STR = 12.5 deg/sec / Max ITR = 23.6 deg/sec

Mirage+2000+at+15k.jpg

STR in deg/sec at specific speeds:

MiG-21 / Mirage

200 kts = 7.0 / 10.3

300 kts = 8.6 / 11.2

400 kts = 9.4 / 12.0

450 kts = 9.3 / 12.5

500 kts = 8.1 / 11.1

In other words the MiG-21 & Mirage are closestin STR at 400 kts, but in general the Mirage holds a 25-30% advantage in STR and ITR.

Edited by Hummingbird

This says more about the pilot than the airframe. :)

Yeah I think I've been shot down maybe twice by the Mig-21 in an Eagle. The first one was basically free, because it went like this:

WTF is the 'U' on the edge of my RWR?

How is it locking and subsequently firing on me?

Where is it?

Where was it?

That was the first time I had seen in online when it was introduced, and had zero knowledge of its 'mechanics'.

After you know what it looks like on radar (NCTR), understand how close it must be before you get its nail, and the fact that it will always be lower than you, they are pretty much cake to take down. Their only chance is to never be seen, or break LOS when forced defensive. Over time there will be fewer freebies granted to Mig-21, only to get worse when their missile modelling gets fixed.

Just see yourself:

Wow, check out that wing flex.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Owned modules: Flaming Cliffs 3, A-10C, F-86F, MiG-21bis, Hawk T.1A, Bf 109 K-4, Ka-50, UH-1H, Fw 190 D-9, L-39C, MiG-15bis, Mi-8MTV2, M-2000C, P-51D, Nevada

PC Specs: i7 4770k @3.5GHz, GTX 980 Ti, 16GB RAM

Peripherals: CH Fighterstick, CH Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Pedals Mk III, TrackIR 5

Can you point at a specific time in the video?

I watched the video and couldn't see it - I always thought the Mirage's wing were very rigid and would be very interested to see actual wing flex on it :thumbup:

@ 00:30

@ 01:04

@ 02:49

I think there is a part of optical effect due to leading-edge slats position.

however, see here :

@ 00:45 and @ 01:09
Edited by sedenion

Don't see much wing flex, and as correctly mentioned by sedenion it merely looks like it due to the extended slats and vapor on top of the wing.

I think there is both optical effect and flex... the wing probably flex, like any other wing, but not in the extreme way that we "perceive" in some angles of view.