DCS World 1.5 and 2.0 Discussion

NineLine

What sort of SSD (solid state drive) improvements did you feel were needed?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Faster loading, and access times. I was also thinking FPS improvements, seeing as how Arma operates a similar way with loading textures.

Those type of improvements would benefit users of mechanical drives more than SSD users.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

This OPEN BETA will be a process, we are getting a lot of fixes, many will be on going. Not everyones favorite bug will get love right out of the gates, things have to be done in a certain order.

Yep, again, that's what we assumed as I stated. The last thing I'm going to do is get bent out of shape over a game. I am retired from the army and fly for a living. I and my group who also fly for a living do this for fun, not stress. :thumbup:

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

Those type of improvements would benefit users of mechanical drives more than SSD users.

I prefer to keep games on my mechanical drives, just wondering if it would run better on SSD vs Mech drives.

Since Arma 3 has literally no difference between SSD and mech drives.

I prefer to keep games on my mechanical drives, just wondering if it would run better on SSD vs Mech drives.

Faster HDD only improves on what an app is reading or writing from it. Arma 3 should load much faster on an SSD. Depending on the way they call textures it might or might not have an impact.

Going from a HDD to an SSD won't improve the in-game fps of any game. That's more tied to the drawing capility of your GPU and the computing power of your processor.

But to get back on topic, it's nice to see a few more lines being added on the changelog every now and then! Thanks for making it a bright red.

Edited by Vivoune

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Faster HDD only improves on what an app is reading or writing from it. Arma 3 should load much faster on an SSD. Depending on the way they call textures it might or might not have an impact.

Going from a HDD to an SSD won't improve the in-game fps of any game. That's more tied to the drawing capility of your GPU and the computing power of your processor.

^^ This.

Anyone know what this means?

They are for training missions. The seat lock forces a user to be in a certain seat, so with the L-39 and its IFR hood thingy it stops the player from "cheating" by switching seats or using external views. Play actor is similar in it tells which seat will be used with the "play argument" trigger. Right now I think the triggers may only work on the L-39.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Why keep programs on a mechanical drive? SSDs are much faster. The loading difference between my 240GB Crucial M500 and WD Black 2TB in DCS World, ArmA 3 and BF4 were a night and day difference. I'd never move those games back to a HDD.

Only problem is 240GB is next to nothing. BF4 alone takes up 60GB.

Why keep programs on a mechanical drive? SSDs are much faster. The loading difference between my 240GB Crucial M500 and WD Black 2TB in DCS World, ArmA 3 and BF4 were a night and day difference. I'd never move those games back to a HDD.

Only problem is 240GB is next to nothing. BF4 alone takes up 60GB.

Agreed. And let's not get into M2 drives.... :megalol:

PCIe 3.0 8x Drives w/ 4TB of Stacked NAND memory. throughput of 2900 mb/sec read/write.

SATAIII is a bottleneck for SSDs, but a properly kept HDD will only limit loading times a lil bit, if its defraged and not filled to the brim a HDD should keep up with texture spooling just fine after the initial loadi g.

Traditional HDDs are approaching their limit, you can only shrink the platter tracks so much before the data health becomes and issue. with Stacked 3D NAND, you can have a single 1tb stack, and 10TB+ in a 2.5 inch drive or PCIe 8x mid size card.

for DCS, a properly kept 7200RPM drive will perform fine.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

A little more clarification would be nice if the devs or mods have the time. :)

6 posts above yours.

• Like 1

Actually your GPU will have a harder time, which is very good news since as it stands now it's mostly the CPU doing all the work.

Or it can be said it has easier time as it doesn't need to be interrupted by CPU doing something between...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Out of curiosity, I don't need both the DCS beta AND the standard version installed at the same time, right?

The new engine will offload more of the grunt work to the GPU rather than the CPU. This is a great thing!

Actually your GPU will have a harder time, which is very good news since as it stands now it's mostly the CPU doing all the work.

I have a lot more GPU power than CPU power, so this is great news!