Need help fixing Saitek sticks

Basically I had an X-45 for many years, and after it started to not work that well, I decided to get an X-52 pro.

And after a year with the X-52 Pro, it's starting to not work, either. I still have the X-45, so now I'm deciding to fix both of them up, because the options to upgrade look worst. I'm not going to buy another X-52 if it's going to die on me in a year. I'm not going to buy the X-55 / X-65 because it's utter crap. And I'd love to get a Warthog HOTAS, but I don't have the money for the stick + pedals.

So here's what's broken:

X-45 -> A lot of the pots are dirty, which i'll get cleaner for. However, it seems like something gets disconnected when I rotate the throttle / there's a loose connection in the throttle electronics. Additionally, there may be a loose / broken wire in the cable from the Throttle to Stick (it loses connection based on if I touch the wire itself).

Lastly the POV hat on the stick is shot. I've since moved on to headtracking, but I'd like to fix this if at all possible.

X-52 Pro -> This thing is a piece of crap. Most of the pots + sliders + stick response literally spike and change as the throttle is moving. Furthermore, some of the pots and slider responses literally spike when they are just sitting there and I am touching nothing.

So I need your help in how to fix them. I've got a soldering iron, and have had a little bit of work in machining before. I have replaced electronics and wires on other items, as well. But as to what is causing the problems, that is probably beyond me to diagnose.

I am in no rush to fix them, so have no problem with completely taking them apart. If I can get the X-45 working again, I'd likely use that, and set the X-52 aside, but I'd still like to fix both.

Thanks for the help!

Check the wire and plugs between your x52 stick and throttle.

Get some electronics cleaner (spray) and clean the plugs by spraying them, plugging, unplugging and wiggle a little in their sockets.

If that is not enough, find some guides online on how to take it apart and clean/lubricate the pots that are spiking, or possibly all, now that you are at it.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

X-52 Pro -> This thing is a piece of crap. Most of the pots + sliders + stick response literally spike and change as the throttle is moving. Furthermore, some of the pots and slider responses literally spike when they are just sitting there and I am touching nothing.

This one looks "easy" do fix, just replace the outworn pot'/slider (a sliding pot').

But ~30/40/60 degrees pot' used in joystick usually is not sold in electronics shops...

See the "Effective rotation" (angle) in this datasheet: http://www.datasheets360.com/pdf/5708716552727120631

Edited by Sokol1_br

The X52 Pro is the one you should try to fix. What Windows version are you running? Are you connecting the X52 to a USB2 port? Make sure of this and even check your computers documentation to have the USB2 port verified!

Connected to a USB 3/2 and a 2/1.1 outlet. No change.

Check the wire and plugs between your x52 stick and throttle.

Get some electronics cleaner (spray) and clean the plugs by spraying them, plugging, unplugging and wiggle a little in their sockets.

If that is not enough, find some guides online on how to take it apart and clean/lubricate the pots that are spiking, or possibly all, now that you are at it.

Tried the cleaner, there was no change.

This one looks "easy" do fix, just replace the outworn pot'/slider (a sliding pot').

But ~30/40/60 degrees pot' used in joystick usually is not sold in electronics shops...

See the "Effective rotation" (angle) in this datasheet: http://www.datasheets360.com/pdf/5708716552727120631

The problem with the X-52 isn't that any individual pot is spiking (though they are). The problem is that when I move the throttle itself, the various other inputs spike AS I am moving the throttle. I.E. I push the throttle up, and the twisty knobs spike, the slider spikes, and even the joystick input spikes.

Ok, cracked the X-45 open and hit all the pots and the rocker with the contact cleaner / lube. It's doing much better, but is still having trouble with a loose wire in the throttle base. Or maybe the wire is broken somewhere around the case edge.

Any particular way to track it down?

Edit: The throttle pot probably should be replaced. Does anyone know which one it is? Or at least how to determine which one to order to replace it?

You need a multimeter and a lot of patience to track the wires.

BTW - with the multimeter you can determine the K (resistance) of actual pot.

Other Saitek pot' is 50K type B (linear response) 32 degrees.

The problem is:

Joystick pot' has a special serigraphy in their resistive trail to work (read 0 to 3,5 or 5v) in 32, 38, 40, 50... in degrees of circular movement.

You dont find this type in shops, only ~270 degrees type.