AMD Crossfire with R9-295X2

I've built a new system with a Sapphire R9-295X2 graphics card. I have the latest Catalyst Control Center sw installed (15.20) and I've created a profile for DCS.exe.

I've tried every "AMD CrossFireX™ Mode" available, but I cannot get the 2nd GPU to run in a mission. The funny thing is that it runs in the menu, mission editor, etc. and I get the AfterBurner overlay showing the usage percentage for each GPU, but when I start a mission the Crossfire icon doesn't appear in the upper right corner, the Afterburner overlay disappears, and AfterBurner shows in hte performance recording that the 2nd GPU is being idle.

The 1st GPU is running at 100% nearly all of the time, so it's not an issue of it not being necessary to fire up the 2nd GPU.

Does anybody have a tip?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Well, I just retired my XFX R9 295X2 because of AMD driver weaknesses, so I have some experience with the card; what power supply do you have running it?

How does that PS compare to your overall system needs, all PC equipment included in your calculations?

Perhaps the system is simply throttling the second GPU when the power demand is too great.

I ran mine, with an FX9590, using a 1200W PCP&C PS, and I had no issues with it, neither with power or cooling.

But I am selling them both off, actually.

What frame-rate do you get with just one core running?

Well, with 1.5 in the mail I would just wait for the postman and check again with 1.5 ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I've built a new system with a Sapphire R9-295X2 graphics card. I have the latest Catalyst Control Center sw installed (15.20) and I've created a profile for DCS.exe.

I've tried every "AMD CrossFireX™ Mode" available, but I cannot get the 2nd GPU to run in a mission. The funny thing is that it runs in the menu, mission editor, etc. and I get the AfterBurner overlay showing the usage percentage for each GPU, but when I start a mission the Crossfire icon doesn't appear in the upper right corner, the Afterburner overlay disappears, and AfterBurner shows in hte performance recording that the 2nd GPU is being idle.

The 1st GPU is running at 100% nearly all of the time, so it's not an issue of it not being necessary to fire up the 2nd GPU.

Does anybody have a tip?

Current DCS does not support xfire. DCS 1.5 which is about to be released imminently will. You should get full utilisation then .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Well, I just retired my XFX R9 295X2 because of AMD driver weaknesses, so I have some experience with the card; what power supply do you have running it?

How does that PS compare to your overall system needs, all PC equipment included in your calculations?

Perhaps the system is simply throttling the second GPU when the power demand is too great.

I ran mine, with an FX9590, using a 1200W PCP&C PS, and I had no issues with it, neither with power or cooling.

But I am selling them both off, actually.

What frame-rate do you get with just one core running?

Hi Oldguy, thanks for replying.

I've added my system specs to my signature. Short answer PS: Corsair AX860i.

I'm sure the PS is not the issue. While in the Launcher.exe (first page after starting DCS-World) is running, I get the Crossfire icon displayed in the upper right corner and the AfterBurner overlay is displayed showing the GPU usage for each GPU, which is how I have AfterBurner configured.

It's only once DCS.exe takes over--after selecting a mission and starting it (that's when display drops to the desktop and then the splash-screen with the cockpit view from some tail-burner opens)--that the icon disappears and I lose the AfterBurner overlays, but also in the AfterBurner recording I see that GPU2 usage goes to 0% at exactly that time.

Also, I can run Crossfire in BF4--we all have our little vices embarrassed-smiley17.gif--without issue.

I built the system specifically with 'DCS-World 2' in mind and from all the research I managed to do it should work very well with DCS2, but only if Crossfire gets both GPU's firing :cry:.

At the moment GPU1 is running at 100% practically all of the time. With quality screwed back a lot in single-player I get about 20-25 FPS on the ramp and up to about 60 in the air, if I'm high enough.

In multiplayer on the 9./JG27 Fighting Legends server, it's generally about 25% worse. The surest I can know somebody is stalking me, and they always are :huh:, is that FPS starts to drop, and at times it's dropped to 5 FPS and even worse. Just impossible to fly let alone fight :(.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Current DCS does not support xfire. DCS 1.5 which is about to be released imminently will. You should get full utilisation then .

LOL, well I've managed to get posts crossed with this.

Thanks for the answer Rage. I thought I saw some references to others using Crossfire, or at least SLI.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see how things go with DCS2 sigh.gif.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

1.2.x will not use the 2nd GPU efficiently, if at all, I can force 1.2 to use it, but the scaling is spoofed.

wait for 1.5

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I read in the notes for the upcoming 1.5 that DCS 1.2 uses two separate executables for UI and the actual game world; probably why you see the change in overlay icon when you launch.

ED says that 1.5 is a single executable, so if it does, indeed, use two GPUs, then you should be in good order.

BTW, I shifted to an aircooled EVGA GTX 970 SC, and the 1.5 open-beta gives wonderful frame-rates.

Have you tried it with your R9?

(If DCS does actually work with SLI/Crossfire, I may ressurrect that video card.)

AMD drivers are my problem: other game programs tap both R9 cores, but they don't like the AMD Crossfire, which results in lots of micro-stutters; all of which are gone with my Nvidia card.

LOL, well I've managed to get posts crossed with this.

Thanks for the answer Rage. I thought I saw some references to others using Crossfire, or at least SLI.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see how things go with DCS2 sigh.gif.

So how is it? Does crossfire work? Im looking to upgrade!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

• 2 weeks later...

Perfect huh? Please describe perfect with your settings.

I have the R9 295x2. Was not perfect 1st pass, but 1.5 OB is running really well now with the

Extreme G 15.7 drivers. All maxed.

Now that 1.5 OB is public, it would be nice if the testers with AMD Cards and or Crossfire would share their experiences and settings.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I run all settings maxed at 1920x1080 (single 144Hz screen). Only thing I had to turn off was motion blur as it dropped my fps to 40. Tested with latest beta drivers and DCS 1.5 OB recently. So far so good except that MP crashes after 5-10 minutes but this seems to be an issue to other players as well as far as I have read. Average 70fps stable with Vsync on. Just left default crossfire profile active and frame pacing on.

DCS prior to beta was unplayable for me (20 fps). DX11 usage was a lifesaver to me.

I run all settings maxed at 1920x1080 (single 144Hz screen). Only thing I had to turn off was motion blur as it dropped my fps to 40. Tested with latest beta drivers and DCS 1.5 OB recently. So far so good except that MP crashes after 5-10 minutes but this seems to be an issue to other players as well as far as I have read. Average 70fps stable with Vsync on. Just left default crossfire profile active and frame pacing on.

DCS prior to beta was unplayable for me (20 fps). DX11 usage was a lifesaver to me.

Is that with or without mirrors, on or close to the ground? I have a R9-290 at 1440P 2xAA and get 70+ except with mirrors on at the airfield. Mirrors on in 1.5 performs a little bit better than mirrors off in 1.2.