How do I even effectively use this thing

Everytime I take off in a multiplayer server, I can fly for like 30 seconds before it gets show down by F15's.

It's no longer fun.

Really, out of the like 30 flights I've made in the past few weeks only 2 or 3 times I reached destination without getting shot the hell down.

Anybody got tips?

I'm really getting pissed off with this thing as it seems useless like this

Do not go if your side dont have any fighters in air near you ..

MI-8 is not fighter

So only operate under friendly sam and fighter coverage :)

That's the issue...

Most servers are almost fighter-only.

I'd really like to try the 104th server as it seems like a good opportunity but it's out of region of me and I can't join it due to high ping.

Now the servers I can play in, are usually 10+ F15's versus 10+ SU-27's, even though there are very good air to ground and transport tasks in that server.

I'm getting real bored of this, my Mi-8 is nothing but a flying dart board :(

I feel like I wasted my money on this thing.

I had quite a bit of success using the Mil8 in Blue Flag, it just takes teamwork, you can't lone wolf in it, it's a transport helicopter not a killing machine. When threats are near you really need to get low and evasive, or if in doubt land and wait for the all clear

Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

https://www.youtube.com/user/504smudge

https://www.facebook.com/504smudge

Keep your ground speed at or below 140kph and fighters radar wont see you. You will still be visible for IRST that Russian fighters have but its range is limited compared to radar. You can also use terrain masking to hide yourself from distant airborne radars by flying low in the valleys.

If you land and shut down your engines you can't be seen even with IRST. This is especially effective at night when fighters can't see you with naked eye either. But A-10C can still ruin your day as he has NVG, TGP and GAU-8.

The most important thing though is to get in touch with friendly fighters to keep enemy fighters away and warn you if you need to hide for a moment. If the server has players operating as GCI/AWACS you should get in touch with them also so they can tell you to hide if necessary. Just flying around alone in a combat zone in a slow moving (almost) defenseless chopper without RWR, LWR or MLWS (in essence you are practically blind) is asking for trouble.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

Check out the vsaaf server (when its hopefully back up in a week or so). It usually runs very mixed missions where the Mi8 and huey have important roles.

Often the CTLD script is integrated so you can build Sam sites and transport troops as well with the Mi8

Disclaimer: I'm biased as I'm a member and made CTLD... :)

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

I you fly very low, and speed below 100 knots, the missiles cannot lock properly. ;)

I dodged quite a few in the Huey in Blue Flag.

If I fly slow, they have to take me with guns.

Apart from that, teamwork: In Blue flag I work closely with the Ground commander, he tells me when it's safe to fly and when I should hide.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Ciribob also makes a good point. If your load is an air defense unit and you think someone is after you, deploy them. I get great satisfaction when I see the Manpad team I just dropped engaging enemy aircraft as I dust off and fly away.

This is my favourite thing to do!

Usually you get buzzed, the F-15 sees a heli, lazily turns round for a guns kill, its in no hurry, what can a heli do... and then gets a stinger to the face :thumbup:

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Ciribob also makes a good point. If your load is an air defense unit and you think someone is after you, deploy them. I get great satisfaction when I see the Manpad team I just dropped engaging enemy aircraft as I dust off and fly away.

Hahaha that sounds fun

I you fly very low, and speed below 100 knots, the missiles cannot lock properly. ;)

I dodged quite a few in the Huey in Blue Flag.

If I fly slow, they have to take me with guns.

Apart from that, teamwork: In Blue flag I work closely with the Ground commander, he tells me when it's safe to fly and when I should hide.

Yeah when commander is on stuff's amazing

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll put it to practise