[REPORTED] DK2 Crashes

Wynthorpe

I was able to get into the cockpit once with oculus, after that it crashes when trying to start a mission.

The crash log is identical to that of hellking's.

The one time I got into the cockpit, there was noticable judder. However I did not have the chance to try without VSYNC.

EDIT: Just managed to get into P-51 with VSYNC off, and it's completely smooth without judder (holy shit!). The crash issue still persist, though.

Edited by saigai

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also had crashed as well. Away from my cockpit right now so will get logs later tonight.

For those who were able to fly a little, how did the cockpit look? What airframe did you manage to fly a little with?

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

OK, I changed the Vsync in the nvidia control panel to force it off as doing in game did nothing.

I also changed VR pre render frames from 1 to application controlled. I dont think this was the reason but next time I loaded DCS it all worked.. I thought I had stumbled on a solution but of course the next couple of times it crashed.

Anyway, the revelation. Vsync forced off as you were saying was silky smooth. I was saying that I wanted this to be like flyinside fsx which was the best flight simming in the rift to date.

DCS is better. Much better. it is silky, silky smooth. I put the frame rate counter on and I was at 150 fps in the rift.

Damn, when we get the crash gone this will be nice.

OK, I changed the Vsync in the nvidia control panel to force it off as doing in game did nothing.

I also changed VR pre render frames from 1 to application controlled. I dont think this was the reason but next time I loaded DCS it all worked.. I thought I had stumbled on a solution but of course the next couple of times it crashed.

Anyway, the revelation. Vsync forced off as you were saying was silky smooth. I was saying that I wanted this to be like flyinside fsx which was the best flight simming in the rift to date.

DCS is better. Much better. it is silky, silky smooth. I put the frame rate counter on and I was at 150 fps in the rift.

Damn, when we get the crash gone this will be nice.

I need to have a good play tonight, are you using extended or Direct? Im using the 0.7 Runtime and have a good rig and struggle to get 75fps so get judders, what settings are you using in game?

No option for anything in 0.7 it's just direct.

I was using the default high presets on a i5 @4.5 with 780ti. Forcing vsync off in nvidia control planel seems to be what got rid of the judder.

Im running a 4790K at 4.4 and a R9 290X, I'll see if can force VSYNC off in CCC.

I get better results during first try after I reboot PC.

Tested (Fast Mission, "Clear" weather): Su 25, Bf 109, FW 190, KA 50, Su 27, A-10 C

Wait 1 min after mission is ready and press then fly. Works for me most of the time now.

FW 190 and SU 25 cockpit are really great. Very readable and you can move your head just in front of the instruments.

Picture is a little to bright.

Nearby passing Wingmen are a great experience.

(I dont like the flickering of the rotor shadows in the KA 50)

The Su 27 has got a great view!

Edited by Motomouse

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

I get better results during first try after I reboot PC.

Tested (Fast Mission, "Clear" weather): Su 25, Bf 109, FW 190, KA 50, Su 27

FW 190 and SU 25 cockpit are really great. Very readable and you can move your head just in front of the instruments.

Picture is a little to bright.

Nearby passing Wingmen are a great experience.

(I dont like the flickering of the rotor shadows in the KA 50)

The Su 27 has got a great view!

I'll also add that it works better on a restart for me too, also agreed that its very bright for some reason.

Oculus Rift not working?

How are you supposed to get Oculus Rift working with 1.5? I thought it was going to be easy just using Direct to Rift. I currently use 0.6.0.1 with my Rift and have ticked the box to detect Rift in the DCS settings. When I start the game and load a mission though nothing happens. The screen is blank in the Rift and there is just a small square on my monitor which is like the view I should be seeing in my Rift and it's laggy as hell.

So how do you get this to work with the rift because I'm at a loss how to do it. I was really looking forward to have this direct to rift support aswell.

0.7.0.0 is required, iirc. However, there seems to be a bug that keeps you from the cockpit - only the vr menu works. ...and yes, it's got a very low framerate compared to the mirrored screen.

Thanks for the reply, but 0.7.0.0 isn't required. This guy in the Youtube video (below) is using the same version as me. I have now got the menus showing in the Oculus Rift, but when I create a quick mission and it starts to load, it just crashes with a box that says "DCS has stopped working close the program"

Where can I find a thread that tells you how to set this up? It's obviously working because this guy in Youtube has it working.

Working for me with 0.6.0.1.

Windows 8

GTX980 355.98 drivers.

Does crash randomly loading levels and when exiting any mission.

When you say: "randomly loading levels" how often does it do it? Because this is where it does it for me everytime. What are your setting in DCS and Ill try using those settings. Thanks!

Seems to launch more often for me if I set all settings to low. High+VR is a big no no for now. And the frame rate in VR mode seems to be far worse. I get higher FPS in normal mode with all settings set to high than I do in VR on low settings.

Seems to launch more often for me if I set all settings to low. High+VR is a big no no for now. And the frame rate in VR mode seems to be far worse. I get higher FPS in normal mode with all settings set to high than I do in VR on low settings.

That's because VR uses two screens and you need more processing power for two screens. Seems I can play on low settings also, but it randomly crashes on the mission loading screen. Once it has crashed on the loading screen, I then have to switch the rift off and back on before launching the game again for it to work. If I don't do this it just keeps on crashing. I hope they fix the rift soon because it looks great and is what I want to play with.

BTW - I crash everytime I try to use any high setting.

That's because VR uses two screens and you need more processing power for two screens. Seems I can play on low settings also, but it randomly crashes on the mission loading screen. Once it has crashed on the loading screen, I then have to switch the rift off and back on before launching the game again for it to work. If I don't do this it just keeps on crashing. I hope they fix the rift soon because it looks great and is what I want to play with.

BTW - I crash everytime I try to use any high setting.

DK2 uses one screen but renders two pictures. These pictures however are 640x1080 each, with ~30% of it being just dead space. There is a slightly higher FOV in VR, but since only 68% of the screen is being rendered and the rest is just black, this doesn't really matter that much. If done properly, VR shouldn't have such a huge impact on performance compared to an ordinary monitor with the same resolution. There's obviously going to be some impact on performance due to the fact that VR requires a small amount of CPU usage, but not in an extent where it goes from 120 FPS to 40 FPS.

I get this as well, my logs attached. Interesting bit is this:

Possibly the file BinocularCameraDialog.lua is missing from the distribution?

I get the same error - I just about gave up and then it just worked... once. 1 in 10 attempts loads and when quitting a mission back to menu, it crashes again. On the 1 in 10 tho, I freakin love this game.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why yes, I did just crash...

Same here, dk2 screen is too bright, crashes all the time and framerate is quite choppy and laggy.

Single screen performance and gfx quality seem much more improved now although I'm still struggling to keep 75FPS when flying close to the ground.

The only way to get constant 75 FPS is to eject :)

win7

xeon e5 2650, 16gb ddr3, gtx 670

Logs.rar

I hope they fix the crashes with the Rift soon because a better Rift experience is what I was waiting for in 1.5 beta. This is whats happening when I crash. First of all I have to set every setting to low because I haven't managed to start a game when they are set to anything other then low. I crash all the time with higher settings, but I do randomly crash with low settings also. I crash when the mission starts to load and it is at this same point each time.

When I do crash on low setting, I just exit the game and turn the Rift off and then back on. This stops me from having to boot the PC up. I really hope they fix the crashes soon and don't just wait until the rift is out next year. I was so looking forward to 1.5 and using the Rift, but it's not very enjoyable with all these crashes.