B-52 Flyby

This picture was taken in the spring of 1990 as we started our deployment on the Ranger to the Persian Gulf.

I was up in the "tower" with the air boss as the Viking squadron rep for the launch/recovery and these Buff drivers (2 of them) called that they were at 8 miles for a flyby. They had been 'orange air' for a big war - at - sea exercise we were doing When they called at 5 miles the boss said "we don't see you" and we heard back "look low". Out on the water we saw this smoke trail first, (the planes merged with the color of the water) at about a 1-2 miles we could break them out and the two buffs came by at 20-30 feet off the water splitting the ship at about 350kts. Then they pulled up and did a big plan form 180 and said "do you want to see that again" - The air boss said "hell yea" so they went back out an did it again.

It was the only time in my 20 year career that I have seen any services jets purposely flying below flight deck level.

b52flyby0gn.jpg

is this ok?

Guest IguanaKing

If its the pic I think it is...yes...its very much real (don't see the pic in the post though).

As for smoke...its not like the smoke from those engines is some opaque mass that blacks out the sun, LOL. I'd sure like to meet the superhuman who can pick out the smoke against the background of water and the ship, in a B&W, low quality photo. :smilewink:

Guest IguanaKing

Yup, its a floating city with a population of 5,500. :D

The Buff can do some pretty amazing things, like a vertical climb with a rollout to level. I saw an H Buff do that at Buckley a few years ago, back when Buckley was an ANG base.

Guest IguanaKing

Perfectly understandable. I wouldn't have believed what a Buff did at Buckley either...if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. :shocking:

Guest IguanaKing
Seen plenty of B-52's, I concede they can fly low (like pretty much any plane). But that picture is fake.

Well...then you would be the third person in this thread who is wrong. ;)

All you guys that think its fake...

This comes from the USS Ranger organization photo gallery...

B-52%20Fly-By.jpg

Now I don't know about you, but there is a guy next to him taking a photo of it, and everyone on the flightdeck (lower left) staring at it. I don't think thats fake...

Also out in the distance above the BUFF, is the SH-3 Seaking that took the photo of it passing the ship. I have just pawned all the unbelievers! :megalol:

Every one states that the russian fighter flying low level over a runway at an airshow was fake, but a B52 flying below deck level is obviously beleiveable.

Any one else here neutral (i.e. not US or nor Eastern Block) find all the double standards in the forum hillarious?

Believe it or not but the BUFF is one of the best Low level penetration bombers, and most buff crews are trained to specifically fly under radar coverage and terflw to the target area. Just one other reason why the BUFF is still in active service today.

Guest IguanaKing

Agreed with Hitman and Rugg. Dynamocl, I participated in the thread you mentioned, and yes...I thought the first photo was fake. But after more evidence was presented, I recanted my initial testimony. Not sure why the whole "east vs. west" thing came up, but a few of us know people in the US military, and I can tell you...with ALL certainty...that that photo is real and it did happen. My family has personal friends who were at another event... at the Pentagon (that airliner was VERY MUCH real)...but that's a subject for another, already locked thread. Let's just keep to "Fake" or "Real" posts, and leave the imagined "east vs. west" stuff out of it, shall we? :smilewink:

Guest IguanaKing
All you guys that think its fake...

This comes from the USS Ranger organization photo gallery...

B-52%20Fly-By.jpg

Now I don't know about you, but there is a guy next to him taking a photo of it, and everyone on the flightdeck (lower left) staring at it. I don't think thats fake...

Also out in the distance above the BUFF, is the SH-3 Seaking that took the photo of it passing the ship. I have just pawned all the unbelievers! :megalol:

Hmmm...USS Ranger photo gallery. USS Ranger...AKA CVA-61. All naysayers, note the HUGE, BOLD, INDISPUTABLE number ****"61"**** painted on the superstucture in the first pic. If you still believe its fake, let me know when Elvis gets here. :megalol:

Every one states that the russian fighter flying low level over a runway at an airshow was fake, but a B52 flying below deck level is obviously beleiveable.

Any one else here neutral (i.e. not US or nor Eastern Block) find all the double standards in the forum hillarious?

It has already been proven that those pictures were real. What's your problem?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

It has already been proven that those pictures were real. What's your problem?

Hes just saying it was funny how many people thought they were fake (implying that its because the plane was Russian) yet many people believe this picture is real (maybe because it is American)

Basically that its funny how there is bias on the forum

Well thats my understanding of what he said meh

• Like 1

I guess I should have added the part of the email were he said

"Before you say this was fake....I was there and saw this with my own eyes!"

Read the quote that came along with the pic......I wasn't entering a short story contest here.

is this ok?

Guest IguanaKing
Hes just saying it was funny how many people thought they were fake (implying that its because the plane was Russian) yet many people believe this picture is real (maybe because it is American)

Basically that its funny how there is bias on the forum

Well thats my understanding of what he said meh

Well...he could have just, simply, said, "I believe it is fake." Couldn't he? I'm sorry, but there aren't many different "ways" to read that post. BTW...the plane in the other thread wasn't technically "Russian", it was Chinese...but I guess nobody cares about where it came from, right? :megalol:

Speaking about fakes, I've been to Rhodos (Gree island, quite windy at that time :() in May 1999, so we went to a "new" beach, near the old port, I was snorkling and all, then I put on my glasses (have contacts now, so no more semi-blind snorkling), I saw something in the distance, probably no more than 5km away, first I thought it was some mountain. When I looked at it, I gasped, it was a huge carrier, facing us with its bow, then it did a turn to the right and steamed off. But seriousely, you won't believe how big those CVNs are until you have seen them, same goes for fighter jets, but the "wow" factor on these is less.

Now I can imagine how big a B-52 is. And, you were right on the smoke iguana, and I guess the B-52 wasn't in full throttle. Did they ever thing about just burning fuel for the injection pumps, and fill the main fuel tanks with water in stead? :P That would give white smoke trails, plus, when adding a E certified additive, you can give it any colour you like, just like with M&M's .

Ok, this was my defusing attempt, if this fails, brave flamethrowing soldiers, spare my life and give me a cookie or something.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy: