Will I see a performance increase

I'm going to upgrade to a GTX 970 in order to fully enjoy DCS. My current OS is Vista. I downloaded the 1.5 beta and L-39 last night and it seems to work fine.... so far.

Do I really need to upgrade to Windows 7 as a minimum, or will it work fine in Vista? I'm wondering if Vista will let me get the full use out of the GTX 970, or if there will be other issues down the road, game crashes, etc because I'm in Vista.

My other system specs are, core i7 920 oc'd to 3.4 Ghz, and currently running a GTX 9800+ card.

Darrell

Oh my gosh, that is an ancient graphics card you have there. You CPU look decent though, and Vista does support DirectX11 so you should be able to fully enjoy a GTX 970. Just prepare yourself for an amazing performance increase, considering how old your current card is :)

By the way, your Vista installation is the 64-bit version, right? DCS no longer support 32-bit you see.

I would highly suggest you ditch Vista, lot of overhead in that OS. Windows 7 64 bit is much leaner and meaner. I personally run Windows 8.1 64 bit, and really like it, but lot of folks don't care for it. Windows 7 is far better though than Vista.

Definitely get a better GPU, even with your 920 cpu your current graphic card is holding you back - big time. You may also have some headroom for overclocking your cpu a little farther.

Fwiw, DCS 1.5 loves, and makes very good use of, my GTX 970 card.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Oh my gosh, that is an ancient graphics card you have there. You CPU look decent though, and Vista does support DirectX11 so you should be able to fully enjoy a GTX 970. Just prepare yourself for an amazing performance increase, considering how old your current card is :)

By the way, your Vista installation is the 64-bit version, right? DCS no longer support 32-bit you see.

haha!! yes, it IS ancient, but was top of the line several years ago :lol::lol:

Amazing how fast technology changes. I do have the 64 bit version of Vista and will roll with it to see how things go. That way, I can take the OS upgrade money and add more RAM as I'm currently at 6 GB. :D

I'm looking forward to receiving the new card next week and will hopefully have time to get it installed before heading off for a weeks R&R at the beach. Can't wait to see how good everything looks after getting a decent card !!

Darrell

I would highly suggest you ditch Vista, lot of overhead in that OS. Windows 7 64 bit is much leaner and meaner. I personally run Windows 8.1 64 bit, and really like it, but lot of folks don't care for it. Windows 7 is far better though than Vista.

Definitely get a better GPU, even with your 920 cpu your current graphic card is holding you back - big time. You may also have some headroom for overclocking your cpu a little farther.

Fwiw, DCS 1.5 loves, and makes very good use of, my GTX 970 card.

Thanks Don, I think I will see how well the card does with Vista, but definitely won't rule out upgrading to 7. I've got all of the "extras" in Vista deactivated (UAC, etc etc etc) so it might not hold the performance down too much ??

I decided to go with the 970 after reading all of the comments on here about how well it plays with DCS.

Darrell

I'm looking forward to receiving the new card next week and will hopefully have time to get it installed before heading off for a weeks R&R at the beach. Can't wait to see how good everything looks after getting a decent card !!

Careful, once you see DCS 1.5 on a 970 card, your trip to the beach might not seem so exciting...

:smilewink:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The GTX 970 is an excellent card. I have 2 in SLI and am now getting over 110FPS in DCS 1.5. With one card I was still getting FPS in the 70's and 80's constantly in 1.2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

I deliberately waited till 1.5 was out so I could see for myself the difference. I ditched my 580 today and replaced it with a 970. Now everything is maxxed. Do yourself a favour get a new card:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I deliberately waited till 1.5 was out so I could see for myself the difference. I ditched my 580 today and replaced it with a 970. Now everything is maxxed. Do yourself a favour get a new card:)

I'm waiting on the email confirmation that it has shipped now ;)

I'm going to upgrade to a GTX 970 in order to fully enjoy DCS. My current OS is Vista. I downloaded the 1.5 beta and L-39 last night and it seems to work fine.... so far.

Do I really need to upgrade to Windows 7 as a minimum, or will it work fine in Vista? I'm wondering if Vista will let me get the full use out of the GTX 970, or if there will be other issues down the road, game crashes, etc because I'm in Vista.

My other system specs are, core i7 920 oc'd to 3.4 Ghz, and currently running a GTX 9800+ card.

Darrell

If you don't mind changing vendors, the 390 is a better card than the 970.