Improved Spotting

gavagai

So what are your thoughts? It's an improvement for the WW2 birds in my opinion. I tried out normal, and then enlarged. You can see a transition from the icon to the regular 3d model and it is not always pretty, but now it is not so easy to loose a bandit in the ground clutter.

Maybe in the future the effect will get cleaned up a bit. For now I am content with the improvement. Thank you ED.

:thumbup:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
What was wrong with the spotting before?

I HOPE your not trolling these poor fellows, but spotting in DCS could be very tough, its much better in EDGE, and the new options help it even more... I hope for more refinements as we go along, but its pretty good right now.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Not trolling. Spotting airplanes in reality is very tough, it should be in the game. We give up some tactical options with unrealistic spotting settings.

Answers to most important questions ATC can ask that every pilot should memorize:

1. No, I do not have a pen. 2. Indicating 250

Not trolling. Spotting airplanes in reality is very tough, it should be in the game. We give up some tactical options with unrealistic spotting settings.

Even best 4k monitors are still way shitty if you compare those in your own eyes. :joystick:

Its much more "realistic" for now, not so blind pilots anymore. :thumbup:

In RL we have about 180" vision and still can see things very far. Not so in sim's until now :)

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

NO, the spotting in DCS was unrealistically bad. Models turning invisible while you're looking right at them, and only being able to see some at all by zooming all the way in.

I will check it out, I have not experienced the new spotting.

The spotting in DCS 1.0 very much reminded me of spotting traffic at work.

Answers to most important questions ATC can ask that every pilot should memorize:

I wish I could experience that. My PC is not good enough though :( I need to get a new one.

I am realy happy that change happened and that ED listened to the community. It will make WW2 air combat pleasant, my eyes won't hurt anymore (at least not so much :P) and I am sure it will all be fine in the end.

@Crump, either you have 3 monitors or a 4k monitor or just your eyesight needs to be checked :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

What is the transition like between overlay and 3d model?

Judder?

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

@Crump, either you have 3 monitors or a 4k monitor or just your eyesight needs to be checked

No just one...

I am an Airline Pilot and have some experience spotting traffic.

No just one...

I am an Airline Pilot and have some experience spotting traffic.

Then you should realise why it was unrealistic before. The relative arc of an aircraft on a 1920 by 1080 monitor was such that it became smaller then 1 pixel at a range that was far closer then what the human eye can in real life distinguish. This meant aircraft effectively disappeared or couldn't be seen manoeuvring when in reality the relative arc distance would mean that the human eye could see it. The new system compensates for this bringing a more realistic representation of what the human eye can do when it's not limited by a relatively low resolution.

I work with optics and have some experience of the limitations of the human eye.

This has been discussed to death. Move on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Please forgive my ignorance on this but, what exactly is this option called? How do I implement it?

I have bad vision and wear glasses made specifically for the PC. Even with these, I was unable to see what other guys on TeamSpeak clearly called out to me.

I'd love to get in the game as sharply as the rest.

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

• ED Team
Please forgive my ignorance on this but, what exactly is this option called? How do I implement it?

I have bad vision and wear glasses made specifically for the PC. Even with these, I was unable to see what other guys on TeamSpeak clearly called out to me.

I'd love to get in the game as sharply as the rest.

See my attached screenshot

Untitled-1.thumb.png.f57aa018d187426262927bda39bd78aa.png

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

So, if model visibility is enlarged, it'll help me see better?

Dogs of War Squadron

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

Yes

Thank you sir, for the clarification, and overall excellent moderation. :thumbup:

And may I say, dog gone, those were fast replies!

Dogs of War Squadron

Then you should realise why it was unrealistic before. The relative arc of an aircraft on a 1920 by 1080 monitor was such that it became smaller then 1 pixel at a range that was far closer then what the human eye can in real life distinguish. This meant aircraft effectively disappeared or couldn't be seen manoeuvring when in reality the relative arc distance would mean that the human eye could see it. The new system compensates for this bringing a more realistic representation of what the human eye can do when it's not limited by a relatively low resolution.

I work with optics and have some experience of the limitations of the human eye.

This has been discussed to death. Move on.

While it may or may not have been unrealistic in as far as the detail a human eye can perceive vs a pixel image on a computer....

The experience was very realistic in simulating spotting other aircraft in flight. You should have been on-board when the TCAS went off 2 weeks ago while we are looking for the ATC traffic alert because a cessna driver was at VFR altitude 500 Feet above on the arrival into Minneapolis.

I would have LOVED to have some large pixels and an easy spotting feature!

That is neither here nor there. I have not been able to get another aircraft online and use it. I did not mean to disparage this feature without trying it. I will try it and might even like it.

I just was surprised there was even an issue. :(

Crumpp will you admit you would be at a disadvantage on a 15" monitor compared to a 28" at same resolution?

Real scale on a the current FoV would need something like a 50" monitor 3 feet away. For a realistic FOV and scale it requires a spherical screen and projectors...

I can easily see stuff taking off from heathrow while still 15 miles away... I doubt I could see anything of the same size in DCS at that sort of distance. I'll test later maybe!

Crumpp will you admit you would be at a disadvantage on a 15" monitor compared to a 28" at same resolution?

Of course.

Watching airplanes on the ground and knowing exactly to where to look is not anything like trying to spot them in air.