Dedicated 1.5 Oculus Rift DK2 thread

To make things easier and quicker for others to find, lets keep the info/tests for 1.5 and oculus rift dk2 in here.

I have yet to get home and setup, but let me know the basics please.

1. vsync on or off? (i have already read users turning vsync off, which is usually not advisable in the rift)

2. Crash fix?

3. settings and rig specs

4. runtime? most ive seen are 0.6 in extended, how is direct mode 0.7?

Edited by djbordie

vsync off for me or it has judder. I need to force vsync off in the nvidia control panel as unticking in game doesnt do the job.

settings on high, by pressing the 'high' presets button. if @4.5, 780ti. I was getting 150fps in the rift on the su25t on the mozdok landing scenario.

You must have 0.7 to run, that will run in direct mode as extended is not supported.

0.6 should not run because the game was compiled against the 0.7 SDK.

Remember, oculus have tried to make each runtime compatible with the previous one - i.e. 0.7 runtime could run something compiled with 0.6 but this is different because DCS was compiled with the 0.7 SDK so could not be run with the 0.6 runtime.

so your running in direct mode NP?

wow

5820k@4.6 and a 980 should smash this, cant wait!

i have seen many using 0.6 and running in extended, as direct mode is not as smooth/working correctly for them.

Edited by djbordie

i have little joy getting the game to work with the Rift, i have updated to 0.7 and 9/10 it crashed upon starting a mission, however the couple of times i have got this to work have been fantastic.

i am using these settings

Edited by =DECOY=

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

so your running in direct mode NP?

wow

5820k@4.6 and a 980 should smash this, cant wait!

i have seen many using 0.6 and running in extended, as direct mode is not as smooth/working correctly for them.

Comparing extended and direct in 1.5 in a no brainer :)

0.7 in 1.5 will blow you away its amazing

I am finding that my axes are all to cock - if I move to the left, my view goes forward. If I go forward, my view moves to the right. Anyone else had this?

But holy CRAP does it look amazing otherwise :)

under saved games you should have the profiles from the old dcs, simply update them in controls

Seems to have needed a run through demoscene to make it happy, seems to be OK now, cheers guys :)

Can you get into a mission each time you try? What's your graphics card and driver version?

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Can you get into a mission each time you try? What's your graphics card and driver version?

Su-25T seems to work reliably, but A-10C is not playing at all :( Just about to try the Black Shark

I am on 355.98 and running a GTX980. CPU is a 5820K at 4.5GHz. Runtime is 0.7.0

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

PRODIGAL WOMBAT STIMULATOR

It looks like it may have more to do with which missions you load up than the plane itself. I have been able to get these working, but not all missions:

SU-25T, Bf-109, F-86F Sabre, Ka-50, F-15C, A-10A, A-10C.

Keep trying different missions and it eventually works.

Don't know whats going on with the brightness though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

It looks like it may have more to do with which missions you load up than the plane itself. I have been able to get these working, but not all missions:

SU-25T, Bf-109, F-86F Sabre, Ka-50, F-15C, A-10A, A-10C.

Keep trying different missions and it eventually works.

Don't know whats going on with the brightness though.

Do you find when you get into a mission it still crashes on exit or does it exit normally?

I posted the crash log for a sucessful mission that crashed on exit in the bug thread. It may be useful for others to do the same as it will give them something to compare too and may help narrow down the issue.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Interestingly I found that even with the vsync thing I had judder when I managed to get in to the t51 for the landing scenario.

What it appears to be is the buildings when looking at somewhat dense buildings. I can literally look over to the right and its silky smooth, then I look to the left and it will start to judder as I look towards the buildings.

So they seem to def be a problem. I didnt notice at first because the scenarios I first tried were at altitude.

Interestingly I found that even with the vsync thing I had judder when I managed to get in to the t51 for the landing scenario.

What it appears to be is the buildings when looking at somewhat dense buildings. I can literally look over to the right and its silky smooth, then I look to the left and it will start to judder as I look towards the buildings.

So they seem to def be a problem. I didnt notice at first because the scenarios I first tried were at altitude.

Yeah judder still seems to be an issue. The Huey was always the worst for it, and though the Harbor Tour was amazing (the water effects have to be seen to be believed in VR :) ) there was periodic judder especially when scenery got denser. What doesn't make sense is I am getting well over 130 FPS in non-VR.

EDIT: I even added my second GTX980 in SLI, still get judder.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

Hi. Using Steam and DK2, I had a lot of problems getting it to run. The first step was getting Steam VR. Without it DCS wouldn't even start. After installing it, DCS worked. Once :(

Then I fiddled with the oculus config utility and by going into tool/service/configure/ and by setting the server login level to none, I got it working once more. I insist on the once, It wouldn't start again. After flying a bit I quit and tried to launch again. Same problem occurred at launch.

Hmmm. So after some iterations I figured this method witch works for me ( i5-4590, gtx 960: 355.98 )

1. Get Steam VR

2. In the rift config utility set the login server level to none

3. You can play once

4. Close steam

5. Stop the oculus rift service/runtime (in the rift Configuration utility tool/service/stop runtime)

6. Restart the rift service by clicking on the config utility icon

7. Restart steam

8. You can play again

It may seam painfull but compared to the extended mode it is seamless...

As for my experience, I played with Vsinc off and there was sitll a bit of jutter. Objectively I cant say if it was more or less... On the plus side, cockpit shadows, better graphics overall and most important rift enabled menus. All good. I should also add that there is a copy of the rift display on the main monitor witch helps a lot when getting a friend to try the rift with dcs.

On the not so good side, well the 1.5 update didn't change the rift's hardware resolution so no magic on that side. Also, I had intermittent issues with the rotor blade's shadow in the ka 50, when the shadow would go over my eyes, the right display would partially black out for a fraction of a second. I didn't have the issue with the A10 and the black out frequency seemed to fit with rotor blades passing overhead. It was annoying but not dramatic.

My biggest complaint is so minor it is ridiculous but I'm gonna say it anyway. The smoke effect of the ka 50's gun is no longer the awesome supercloud visible from inside the cockpit and taking 1/2 of the field of view. Oh man, I loved that smoke. But on the other hand, in 1.5, a good volley of rockets will make you happy just with their smoketrails.

Have fun, next stop, Nevada.

Hi pittlebelge,

If steam is getting in the way, just download the standalone client. All your steam keys will work in the standalone so you can just ship them all over to that with no hassle. As long as you are on SDK 0.7.0 you should find a much easier experience.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY