Rudder trim even when turned off?

Pizzicato

I was flying the first mission of the Spring Tension campaign in 1.5 tonight and noticed something that seemed odd.

As I was flying, I was regularly hitting the trim button (with the Heading and Pitch/Roll autopilot channels engaged). I had real trouble landing at the final outpost and felt that the Hip was really fighting me. As soon as I landed, I hit Trim Reset and watched as both the cyclic and the rudders re-centred. This was strange to me as I have Rudder Trim unchecked in the options for the Mi-8.

Is this a bug or am I misunderstanding something about how this aircraft works?

Edited by Pizzicato

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

Yes this is a bug on the MI-8. The rudders will sometimes trim even though you and me have switched off rudder trim.

It is a sporadic problem but it does happen and I reset trim in flight to clear all settings.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

As far as I understand it, this is caused by the autopilot. I think, the thread where BST talks about all those small updates they implemented for 1.5.0 explains this a bit - that is why they implemented that virtual flight engineer that takes care of adjusting the AP with those dials on the middle console.

Not quite a bug, but rather a feature, coupled with imperfection of our computer controllers.

If the heading channel of the autopilot is turned on, it uses rudder trim when excessive torque has to be counteracted to maintain heading (vertical take-offs and landings, high speed level flights). At least this is how it worked previously, haven't tested heading AP channel in 1.5.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.