Helios -> DCS World 1.5

With the recent hotfix everything is working properly now, awesome ED!

Had to copy all the Init luas again as usual after an update and now the viewports and background are perfect in the A-10C.

@Mewle: probably didn't import your old Export.lua that makes the gauges and touch control working in C:\Users\<UserName>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts ?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to copy all the Init luas again as usual after an update and now the viewports and background are perfect in the A-10C.

@Mewle: probably didn't import your old Export.lua that makes the gauges and touch control working in C:\Users\<UserName>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts ?

I've tried numerous export.luas in that folder. Even tried pointing Helios at that folder too(in the a10c interface page). I may have messed something up in my frustration, clean install here I come lol.

I'll go back to scratch and try again but I fear I may come knocking on this thread again hehe

Edited by Mewle

Intel i5 4690k

MSI GTX 970 4g gaming edition

Asus Z97k Mobo

8Gb Corsair vengeance 1866mhz

120GB Samsung 840 evo

Samsung 1TB Spinpoint hdd

Windows 10

4 channel surround

Hotas Cougar w/ 120mm machined steel extension and elite rudder pedals

DIY collective via bu0836x plus some random buttons and knobs

Cougar MFDs

Running 1920*2104 over 3 screens

Actually one thought, because I was getting a Helios generated lua and placing it there.

Does it need to be the export.lua from the game install scripts folder? As I seem to have "misplaced" (read"deleted") that one.

Edited by Mewle

Intel i5 4690k

Asus Z97k Mobo

120GB Samsung 840 evo

Windows 10

4 channel surround

Cougar MFDs

As far as I remember from when I did it the first time I installed Helios, it's the Helios setup program that generates the Export.lua and places it there, when you have to point the install folder.

I could be wrong tho, I just copied the one that worked in 1.28 SavedGames folder into the DCS.openbeta\Scripts folder (also in SavedGames ofc)

As far as I remember from when I did it the first time I installed Helios, it's the Helios setup program that generates the Export.lua and places it there, when you have to point the install folder.

I could be wrong tho, I just copied the one that worked in 1.28 SavedGames folder into the DCS.openbeta\Scripts folder (also in SavedGames ofc)

I'll have another fiddle when I get off work before a scratch install I think. Just started to get a basic physical pit sorted and as you guys probably know dcs goes from a great flight sim to a bit of an addiction. #notgoingtorehabevah

Intel i5 4690k

Asus Z97k Mobo

120GB Samsung 840 evo

Windows 10

4 channel surround

Cougar MFDs

Mewle

All I did was use the export file from Cpt Z's website and my regular Lua init mods that I install with JSGME. I have DCS set up so as not to install updates automatically, but just to tell me that an update is available. I then go to JSGME and uninstall the export and Lua init files, update and then reinstall the update and init files. JSGME makes it very easy to do. If you need any files just let me know.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Anyone else's gauge needles a bit jerky in their movements? Needles do not move as smoothly as in previous versions of DCSW.

Airdog

| Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Mobo | i7 8700K @ 4.7 | 32 GB DDR4@3200mhz | Gigabyte 2080Ti OC 11GB| Samsung M.2 960 Evo 250Gb and 500Gb | Win10 Pro | Hotas Warthog #02743 | Track IR 5 | Toshiba 47" 120hz LED | Acer 23" Touchscreen | HELIOS |Oculus Rift-S|

http://www.blackknightssquadron.com/

Just as a control test I loaded up gadroc's a10-c profile and the gauges work so it obviously and issue with my custom from scratch profile.

Anyone else's gauge needles a bit jerky in their movements? Needles do not move as smoothly as in previous versions of DCSW.

When they worked the gauges were jerky for me too, but I ran out of time before I could check that the export.lua update frequency was set fast enough. Might be worth checking.

Intel i5 4690k

Asus Z97k Mobo

120GB Samsung 840 evo

Windows 10

4 channel surround

Cougar MFDs

I changed the update frequency to 0.016 in the lua and they're butter smooth now

Intel i5 4690k

Asus Z97k Mobo

120GB Samsung 840 evo

Windows 10

4 channel surround

Cougar MFDs

Mewle

All I did was use the export file from Cpt Z's website and my regular Lua init mods that I install with JSGME. I have DCS set up so as not to install updates automatically, but just to tell me that an update is available. I then go to JSGME and uninstall the export and Lua init files, update and then reinstall the update and init files. JSGME makes it very easy to do. If you need any files just let me know.

OK..... Admission time.

I'd used an old a10 profile which had the layout but no inputs assigned to the gauges. Popped the new one in and it worked.

Thanks guys for your help. all appreciated.

Intel i5 4690k

Asus Z97k Mobo

120GB Samsung 840 evo

Windows 10

4 channel surround

Cougar MFDs

Hmm is this in Export.lua? How's the variable called exactly?

Yes in the export.lua

gExportInterval

If you have capt zeen's export.lua it's set at 0.1, which is only ten frames a second.

I set it to 0.016 which is roughly 60fps

If you need a different speed then you can always do the math to get the value which is:

1000/desired fps

Edited by Mewle

Intel i5 4690k

Asus Z97k Mobo

120GB Samsung 840 evo

Windows 10

4 channel surround

Cougar MFDs

I had it at 0.067 and didn't notice any problem, but I'll try 0.016 anyways, thanks

that's around 15 updates a second so if you're aiming for 60 fps with any luck 0.016 should match that

Intel i5 4690k

Asus Z97k Mobo

120GB Samsung 840 evo

Windows 10

4 channel surround

Cougar MFDs

So I'm back.

I've had a scour on these 'ere forums but I can't find how to add another IP address to export.lua.

basically I have helios on my DCS pc and also on a touchscreen laptop. I can get them both working individually, as that is straightforward, but is there a way to export to two IPs at once?

every syntax I've tried doesn't work.

Intel i5 4690k

Asus Z97k Mobo

120GB Samsung 840 evo

Windows 10

4 channel surround

Cougar MFDs

Viewport Not Working Since 1.5 :(

Hi Guys,

DCS 1.5 is working fine for me using a triple-screen setup and additional touchscreen for helios.

I'm testing my setup using CaptZeen's Su-25T profile - all the gauges are working fine in the profile but I can't get the viewport to work for the shyval. (note: it is working in the sim).

Everything used to work 100% before upgrading to DCS 1.5

Any suggestions please?

i7-5820K 3.30Ghz | Asus X99-S | Sapphire R290X | R7 240 | 16GB DDR4 PC4 2800MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (OS) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (DCS) | Noctua NH-D14 2011 Cooler | OCZ ZT 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular PSU | NZXT Phantom Enthusiast | 3 x IIyama Prolite E2473HDS 24" | 1 x Dell S2240T 21.5" Touch Screen | Windows 10 64-Bit | AMD Eyefinity 5760 x 1080 | TrackIR5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind 1771 | Vaicom Pro + VA (Licensed) | Sennheiser Game Zero | Honeycomb Yoke (June 2020)]

I'm now running DCS 1.5 on triple screens but can't get viewports to show up on my additional touchscreen - I have tried everything I've read so far but to no avail - I must be missing something.

This is an export issue only as all the gauges and switches in my helios profile are working correctly.

It may be helpful to see a working copy of a custom monitorsetup.lua from someone with a multi-monitor / touchscreen setup like mine.

Would someone be kind enough to upload theirs please?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Edited by slicker55

i7-5820K 3.30Ghz | Asus X99-S | Sapphire R290X | R7 240 | 16GB DDR4 PC4 2800MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (OS) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (DCS) | Noctua NH-D14 2011 Cooler | OCZ ZT 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular PSU | NZXT Phantom Enthusiast | 3 x IIyama Prolite E2473HDS 24" | 1 x Dell S2240T 21.5" Touch Screen | Windows 10 64-Bit | AMD Eyefinity 5760 x 1080 | TrackIR5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind 1771 | Vaicom Pro + VA (Licensed) | Sennheiser Game Zero | Honeycomb Yoke (June 2020)]

See the attached for a 2 screen A10c.

PeterMonitor2.lua

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Hi Sobe,

Thanks for sending me your .lua (very helpful)

I have managed to get the shkval export working on my Su-25T.

I have also got the two MFD's on my A-10C working.

Now, to see if I can get the other exports working on the A-10C.

I believe my monitor issues were caused by a few lines of code at the end of my custom monitorsetup.lua's which used to force the GUI/Menu onto the centre screen only.

This code worked great in the previous version of DCS but causes havoc in 1.5. This is a shame because I found the GUI/Menu confined to the centre screen much better than spread across all three screens.

Edited by slicker55

I've included screen prints of how the exports to the touch screen looked under DSCW 1.2 and how they look now under DCSW 1.5.

Thanks for taking the trouble to capture these screenshots and upload them here. I think they're very encouraging - I've just had a flash of inspiration...

I haven't managed to get so many exports showing on my touchscreen yet but I'm feeling more confident having now seen your screenshots.

If I can get as close as you, I'll be having a look at the layer order in Helios to see if moving things up or down allow the exports to become visible?

Just an idea - might be barking up the wrong tree but who knows :)

Re. Post #45 (I was barking up the wrong tree)... copied/pasted all the instrument .lua's from Loz V2.1 and everything is working now.

slicker55 I see you had an issue where you couldn't run Helios due to it saying " it's stopped working" mine has just done exactly the same.

How did you fix it ?

I have tried a reinstall etc but nothing

Thanks

Oh shit.. that's bad news... well, it was for me mate.. I tried everything I could think of to get that thing running again but nothing seemed to work.

I tried uninstalling it and the reinstalling it to a custom path thinking that might trick it but that didn't work.

I really don't know what caused it to stop working... it was fine one minute and then booooom!

I realised I would have to bite the bullet and use windows restore but then discovered something I didn't know.

For a long time now, I've been regularly creating restore points before making any significant updates to my system but I didn't realise that my settings (by default) was only keeping the last restore point created... yeah... that's the one... the one I created before trying to get Helios working again... yeah, you're right... the one containing a broken Helios.... bugger!

So, sorry to say, for me it was a full image restore using my Acronis True Image, unfortunately, using a backup made some time ago. I then took a systematic approach (recording every step) to get everything back up-to-date whilst testing Helios at every stage hoping to find the culprit responsible for breaking it in the first place.

Everything is back up and running but despite every effort, I still don't know why Helios threw a wobbly.. very worrying... I thought, here we go... Windows 10 or DCS 1.5 and Helios isn't going to be compatible... not an option, I'd go back to Windows 7 and 1.2 rather than lose the use of my touchscreen and Helios profiles.

But, rest assured Helios lives on...

Hope this has been of some help... just as a reminder - have a look at your restore settings (I've increased the amount of storage space in mine to allow more restore points to be saved) and I've also reviewed my backup strategy.

Please let us all know how you get on - hoping you will discover what has caused Helios to stop working.

Hi

thanks for the reply. I know everything was working fine last night and then this morning it wouldnt run :(

I have used the windows 10 refresh option which also removed helios but its still not working :(

I might have to try and resinstall DCS and see if that does anything as i dont think i have any backups :(

Gents, before making the whole install-dance of everything, Helios might run again if you use it in another account.

I solved an issue with ProfileEditor by this way: Created a user "Games" and transferred every game-related thing over to it. Still a little bit tedious, but splitting "Private/Work" things from "Games" helps avoiding conflicts with other account-related settings and/or software, saves resources, etc.