Tornado Pics

Hi folks!

a few pic I'd like to share, taken by 150GCT_Fotovis (a friend of mine) during a visit to 50° Stormo in San Damiano Air Base (Piacenza - Italy)

hope u like them

50_18.jpg

50_01.jpg

50_03.jpg

50_02.jpg

50_04.jpg

50_05.jpg

50_06.jpg

50_07.jpg

50_08.jpg

50_09.jpg

50_10.jpg

50_11.jpg

50_13.jpg

50_14.jpg

50_15.jpg

50_16.jpg

50_17.jpg

50_19.jpg

50_20.jpg

50_21.jpg

• Like 1

150GCT_Manta

http://www.150gct.it/

Cool! Any idea why Italian Tornados always seem to carry 2 chaff/flare dispenser pods and never an ECM pod?

Italian Tornado it equipment on internal ECM EL-73.

Give me "flying telephone pole" (SA-2)!

Italian Tornado it equipment on internal ECM EL-73.

Are you sure? I read on some websites that the EL-73 is just a RHAWS. On the book "Modern Air Combat" by Bill Gunston and Mike Spick however there's a picture of a long external jamming pod called EL-73 (carried on a wing pylon coupled with the classic BOZ pod)

Do you have trusty sources to sweep away my doubts? thx in advance ;)

Do you have trusty sources to sweep away my doubts? thx in advance

Jane's Aircraft upgrades:

"Radar Warning Receiver (RWR) and an internal Active Electronic Countermeasures System (AECM), both

provided by Italy's Elettronica, Elettronica EL-73"

wonderful! do you have more HUD picture from Tornado?

:no_sad:

wonderful! do you have more HUD picture from Tornado? they're quite rare on the web...

Low lovel at Goose bay, may be related with the pictures on the previous page.

http://www.patricksaviation.com/aviation_videos/28/TornadoGasm

I uploaded this one myself, enjoy!

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Ah, I'd heard about an internal ECM system on the Italian Tornados before. However I remember seeing sources that claimed it got cancelled and never could imagine where they found enough room to install it (and why on earth the other countries didn't do the same with their ECM systems). Interestingly, the Tornado F.3 can be fitted with semi-internal chaff/flare-dispensers below the engine bays, if combined with an internal ECM-system (if indeed possible) that would give you two additional pylons or much reduced drag.

Pretty confusing.

Ah, I'd heard about an internal ECM system on the Italian Tornados before. However I remember seeing sources that claimed it got cancelled and never could imagine where they found enough room to install it (and why on earth the other countries didn't do the same with their ECM systems). Interestingly, the Tornado F.3 can be fitted with semi-internal chaff/flare-dispensers below the engine bays, if combined with an internal ECM-system (if indeed possible) that would give you two additional pylons or much reduced drag.

Pretty confusing.

On the book "Tornado multi role combat aircraft" by Jon Lake and Mike Crunch is written that Italy was planning an internal active ECM for ECR, but it wasn't clear if it was really implemented (the book itself was printed in year 2000.... but it's still a really great book for Tornado fans...)

That internal ECM system was called in a different way, EL-553, not EL-73.

The external EL-73 pictured in Gunston's book was from a early '80s photo... the EL-553 is about 20 years younger, so it makes some sense that is internal...

Yet avionics and ECM are still some of the most classified compartments in aviation, one has to make a lot of assumptions and guesses...

If I had this doubt before I could have asked some info to the Italian ECR pilots at Rivolto AB, on the Open Day which held in September '05.

one of my pictures is attached below

Dscf1396.thumb.jpg.4824f4e2dd0766da0477897601d85493.jpg

Elettronica SpA

Rome.

ELT/553(V)2, ELT/554 and ELT/558 series radar

jammers

Type

Family of self-protection radar jamming systems.

Description

The ELT/55x family is a series of active self-protection equipments that are targeted against radars,

continuous wave illuminators and missile radar seekers. They provide high Effective Radiated Power (

ERP), advanced multithreat engagement capability, diversified deception programmes, wide angular

cover and short reaction times. They are designed to be integrated with the aircraft Electronic

CounterMeasures (ECM) and weapon system or, in some cases, can be used as stand-alone equipment.

They have a look-through-while-jam capability and are effective against frequency-agile sources.

Known details of the identified members of the family are as follows:

ELT/553(V)2

ELT/553(V)2 is described as being a second generation self-protection system that covers the E to J

frequency band (2 to 20 GHz). It provides high ERP over a very large radio frequency bandwidth, an

`advanced' multithreat engagement capability, diversified and easily reprogrammable deception

programmes, wide angular coverage and fast reaction. It is intended for internal installation in combat

aircraft and helicopters and features low weight and reduced volume. The system can be employed as a

stand-alone equipment or can be integrated with radar warning/electronic support equipments, such as

the ELT/156X threat warner.

http://www.elt-roma.com/en/products/sys_ecm.html

http://www.elt-roma.com/en/programmes/tornado.html

The thing is, there don't seem to be any additional antennea on Italian Tornados. Since they are flying around without ECM pods it is very probable that they do have internal ECM now, but where??

maybe flooded antennas on wings and fuselage. BTW, I think we're not talking about powerful jammers (usually labelled "active") like ALQ-99, it's more likely they're defensive (aka "deceptive") jammers used for self defence.

I also read on that Tornado book that ECR have not full 360 degrees coverage for threat response, they can deal with radars just from the front emisphere (the F-4G instead did have 360 degrees coverage)

That video is awesome.

Mega-bonus-points to the person who finds and hosts the video of the RAF Tornadoes training prior to the Gulf War - have seen a clip in which a pair are flying down a canyon and a very British voice suddenly says, calm as you like "Oh bugger, we should have taken the last left back there . . . . . "