Vsync and motion stutters relation.

Good evening !

As you can see in my signature I'm running DCS 1.5 on Windows 10 64bits with a GTX970 and last Nvidia drivers in full screen mode. My monitor run in 1920*1080 at 60Hz.

Basically the game has continious ground motion stutters/judders when Vsync is OFF, even at 120fps.

If Vsync is ON in game options I'm limited to 60fps (that's normal) and all the time I stay at 60fps game is smooth and I haven't stutters.

But if my fps drop down even at only 59fps stutters come back immediately.

Of course fps drop down appear when I switch on maverick TV, TGP, Su-25T shkval TV etc... and when overfly forests. So it's very annoying in terms of gameplay.

Does that mean DCS 1.5 in game Vsync is adaptative and work only when monitor refresh rate is reached ? That could explain a part of the problem.

So to try to prove I'm right on the problem and to resolve it, I decide to force full Vsync or 1/2 refresh rate Vsync in Nvidia driver and with nvidia inspector too. But nothing seems to work...

If Vsync is on in game option, Nvidia driver settings don't apply, and if it's off Nvidia driver setting don't apply too.

So... currently it seems there is no way to avoid ground motion stutters...:cry:

Thanks for reading me, and I hope you can understand my English.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

You english is fine but it is still very hard to comprehend becouse some of the things you say are not technically possible. I think when you say stutter, you really mean tearing, right? If I replace stutter with tearing in your text, it starts to make sense.

Stutter: Drops in framerate caused by v-sync when graphic card cannot keep up with the monitor refresh rate.

Tearing: Broken frame caused when graphic card sends new frame to monitor in the middle of the monitors refresh cycle.

No I don't talk about tearing.

The ground don't scroll fluidly. It looks like I have <25fps but with 45fps displayed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

That does sound wierd, but there is a possibility that you have stutters that are not visible on the framerate counter. This is because the number you see on the framerate counter is an average over a certain amount of time, or a certain amount of frames, so if you have a stutter that only lasts one or two frames, you will not see it on the framerate counter. These are often called microstutters. To analyze the problem further, you will need to look at the render times of each individual frame. The reason you might not see this with v-sync on is because with v-sync there is a frame buffer. It could be possible that the frame buffer filters out the microstutters.

Edited by Brisse

I also have this exact problem, it simply works at 60 vsynced. If it falls under those 60fps, just to 59 its start stuttering, gets worse the closer to the ground or near cities.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

I had the same problem but it was solved by using the nVidia Inspector to first backup the DCS.exe profile and then deleted it from nVidia Inspector.

After this I just added a new profile with nVidia control panel and browsed to the DCS World beta bin folder and picked the DCS.exe from there. After some testing with the settings I can run what I want one GPU or SLI.

When I run SLI I have to set the Anti-aliasing settings to SLI 48xQ CSAA to avoid the clouds from blinking on and of.

My Computer: i7 6850K OC 4.5 GHz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1x MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X, on a MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Carbon MB all watercooled w/3 pumps and outdoor cooler, 1x Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB, 1x Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB, SSD 2x450GB, 6 TB HDD's, Asus 27" LED G-Sync Rog Swift PG279Q 2560x1440 IPS, 30~165hz, Win 10 PRO 64bit.

I had the same problem but it was solved by using the nVidia Inspector to first backup the DCS.exe profile and then deleted it from nVidia Inspector.

After this I just added a new profile with nVidia control panel and browsed to the DCS World beta bin folder and picked the DCS.exe from there.

I tried it, but it don't work for me...:( I am still not able to make Vsync work by drivers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hit left alt and return and see if that improves it. There is a thread somewhere that is saying that v-sync isn't working as full screen isn't really full screen until you do that, but rather a borderless window.

x2.

Game is running in borderlands windowed mode. You must press right alt + enter to make it true full screen, everyone you load into the map or mission. This seems to have made everything smoother for me.

Going below the VSync FPS rate, when not on one of the dividers, like 30 but in the 31-59 range there are always motion stutters. Especially when you look at an angle away from the direction of travel (at 90° it is the biggest) and the closer to the ground you get, the worse it becomes "visible". Also, on FPS 59 it's noticeable but the more your FPS moves from the VSync threshold, the worser it gets.

But, not everybody seems to experience this in the same way (the stutter is there but they don't notice it) or they simply don't care.

I did read a lot on this subject and gathered quite some links to the explanation of this problem but a lot of those are dead.

I still have 2 that are worth a read: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593 and http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_5.html

These do not offer a solution. Big point is to keep VSync on and be sure you have an FPS that stays "always" above the VSync rate "with" VSync turned on.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

No I don't talk about tearing.

The ground don't scroll fluidly. It looks like I have <25fps but with 45fps displayed.

what you have there is shuddering (slightly different to stutter)... happens when the ground is primarily moving across the screen left to right?

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Good evening !

As you can see in my signature I'm running DCS 1.5 on Windows 10 64bits with a GTX970 and last Nvidia drivers in full screen mode. My monitor run in 1920*1080 at 60Hz.

Basically the game has continious ground motion stutters/judders when Vsync is OFF, even at 120fps.

If Vsync is ON in game options I'm limited to 60fps (that's normal) and all the time I stay at 60fps game is smooth and I haven't stutters.

But if my fps drop down even at only 59fps stutters come back immediately.

Of course fps drop down appear when I switch on maverick TV, TGP, Su-25T shkval TV etc... and when overfly forests. So it's very annoying in terms of gameplay.

Does that mean DCS 1.5 in game Vsync is adaptative and work only when monitor refresh rate is reached ? That could explain a part of the problem.

So to try to prove I'm right on the problem and to resolve it, I decide to force full Vsync or 1/2 refresh rate Vsync in Nvidia driver and with nvidia inspector too. But nothing seems to work...

If Vsync is on in game option, Nvidia driver settings don't apply, and if it's off Nvidia driver setting don't apply too.

So... currently it seems there is no way to avoid ground motion stutters...:cry:

Thanks for reading me, and I hope you can understand my English.

try this

set aa in game at 16Q then go to nvidia control panel and set AA transparency supersampling from 8 down to 4 (or below if you wish the better)

once i did that my FPS explode to 60 stable without any stutters at all,and the best part is that AA is supersmile.gif

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Going below the VSync FPS rate, when not on one of the dividers, like 30 but in the 31-59 range there are always motion stutters. Especially when you look at an angle away from the direction of travel (at 90° it is the biggest) and the closer to the ground you get, the worse it becomes "visible". Also, on FPS 59 it's noticeable but the more your FPS moves from the VSync threshold, the worser it gets.

But, not everybody seems to experience this in the same way (the stutter is there but they don't notice it) or they simply don't care.

I did read a lot on this subject and gathered quite some links to the explanation of this problem but a lot of those are dead.

I still have 2 that are worth a read: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593 and http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_5.html

These do not offer a solution. Big point is to keep VSync on and be sure you have an FPS that stays "always" above the VSync rate "with" VSync turned on.

Ok, but why with Il-2 Battle of Stalingrad for exemple I don't have this effect ???

what you have there is shuddering (slightly different to stutter)... happens when the ground is primarily moving across the screen left to right?

No it's not a shuddering effect.

try this

set aa in game at 16Q then go to nvidia control panel and set AA transparency supersampling from 8 down to 4 (or below if you wish the better)

once i did that my FPS explode to 60 stable without any stutters at all,and the best part is that AA is supersmile.gif

It has no effect to me.

Edited by diditopgun

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

x2.

Game is running in borderlands windowed mode. You must press right alt + enter to make it true full screen, everyone you load into the map or mission. This seems to have made everything smoother for me.

Ok, now in true full screen I can use Nvidia drivers Vsync.

But in full Vsync still have stutters (so it's the same Vsync that the in-game options one)

In Vsync 1/2 refresh rate (so locked at 30fps, but what a shame to be limited at 30fps with a GTX970...) stutters seem to disappear (same I have to do with DCS 1.2) but the game not looks like fluid at 30fps (in DCS 1.2 it does) and looking around with Track-ir is not fluid too... :wallbash:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you for this thread. I'll give the right-alt enter thing a try and see if it helps.

The forests are the cause of the stutters I think.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Thank you for this thread. I'll give the right-alt enter thing a try and see if it helps.

The forests are the cause of the stutters I think.

yes the forests it seems to causing a drop in fps

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

So ! After a lot of testing I find a way to increase my fps over forest and with MAV/TGP on. Of course it not resolve the stutter problem under 60 fps, but now I can have constant 60fps in most situations (right now tested only with the last A-10C instant action in winter). I have to test further with more units and effects in sight).

I use this couple of settings to increase fps and reduce stutters probability:

_ Mustang mod to delete trees shadows: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2495081&postcount=7

_ In Nvidia driver: transparency anti-aliasing set to "Deactivated"

Now I can fly over big forests near Senaki in low level flight with TGP and maverick TV both ON at 60fps (if you look too far and zoomed out with TGP/MAV fps decrease under 60fps but when looking more down or zoomed it's come back to 60fps).

I hope it can help most of us while waiting for more optimization from ED. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you have vsync on them your display will only work at multiples of 60 to keep the scene from tearing. If your fps drop below 60 then your screen will be showing the scene at 30fps to keep it from treating.that's why it doesn't feel smooth.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

Confirm that 1.5 is not enforcing vsync.

It makes no difference to my fps over forests if I enable or disable vsync through catalyst.

I also have the same fps over forests in full-screen and windowed mode.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Confirm that 1.5 is not enforcing vsync.

It makes no difference to my fps over forests if I enable or disable vsync through catalyst.

I also have the same fps over forests in full-screen and windowed mode.

Works fine for me with a 290X and driver version 15.8. I'm using freesync/adaptive sync though. Only works in fullscreen but that is to be expected and applies to any game/sim/3d application.

What works fine?

Vsync does enable through catalyst, it just doesn't make a difference to my performance over trees.

What I was trying to say is that 1.5 doesn't enable vsync if catalyst has vsync under application control.

Sorry for the confusion!

Same thing here. I dont know excatly what it is but when things move fast on the screen, like flying low and using F3 view, or moving your head fast in cockpit, the current 90-120 FPS "feels" momentarily like 20 FPS.

It doesent look like tearing, it´s like frames where missing or skipping. Something is not entirely right.

Specs:

Windows 10.

GTX 980, last drivers. 1080p.

I7 2600k @ 4.8 GHz.

8 GB DDR3 @ 1,9 KHz

SSD

Xfi creative sound card

TM Hotas

Saiteck Pedals and MFDs.

TrackIr.

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.