Huey start realism

j0nx

Hey all, just wondering what the REAL start procedure is for the real life Huey? The sim makes it look like the throttle is past idle in the minimum open position when starting. The Bell 206 requires that the throttle be closed 100% when the starter is activated and then twisted open to right past the detent when N1 is at 15% in order to start. Having the throttle open at minimum will result in a hot start in the 206 and I have to think that the Huey is the same? Or maybe not? Is this due to the way they modeled the starter/detent in the Huey or does the real life Huey require that the throttle be open at minimum when the starter is engaged? I would think that the throttle would be closed fully and then fuel opened to minimum at 40% N1 but the manual does not explain the correct position. Thanks!

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Hey all, just wondering what the REAL start procedure is for the real life Huey? The sim makes it look like the throttle is past idle in the minimum open position when starting. The Bell 206 requires that the throttle be closed 100% when the starter is activated and then twisted open to right past the detent when N1 is at 15% in order to start. Having the throttle open at minimum will result in a hot start in the 206 and I have to think that the Huey is the same? Or maybe not? Is this due to the way they modeled the starter/detent in the Huey or does the real life Huey require that the throttle be open at minimum when the starter is engaged? I would think that the throttle would be closed fully and then fuel opened to minimum at 40% N1 but the manual does not explain the correct position. Thanks!

Yep, the lack of any temperature modelling has been a complaint ever since this model was launched.

It's an immersion killer for what is otherwise a wonderful simulation.

EGT is not modelled correctly since day1. It has probably been the single biggest complaint since the Huey was released.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

EGT is not modelled correctly since day1.

But something seems to have changed regardless. I'm not seeing any super-high temp values anymore when taking off, and the engine feels as if it has more power now as well. Just a feeling though...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

lets hope BST does implement it in 1.5 or 2.0

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

No change that I can see. EGT at 660°C in both tests - which, as I remember it, is within specs* isn't it?

But no change still, meaning they haven't touched the powertrain modelling. Or am I missing something elementary here?

*EDIT: No, it isn't. The flashcard says there's an EGT 10 seconds starting and acceleration limit between 625-675°C, so no hovering for any length of time with a value this high, right?

Edited by msalama

But as you can see there is no change in EGT between 1.5 and 1.12

Right. What I'd really like to know at this point is whether they're going to fix these problems or ignore them, because that'll definitely affect my willingness to purchase their future modules.

So nobody knows for sure where the throttle is supposed to be located in actuality? My guess is in shutoff like the 206 until 40% N1 and then throttle is opened. I got to say for $49.99 I am bummed by the amateurishness of this addon. Even the Dodo guys got it right in FSX of all things which has the worst flight modeling engine ever for rotorcraft. Come on DCS guys get your act together. Thinking about asking for a refund for this solely based on the amateurish startup modeling. If they flubbed it this bad on the most basic thing then how are we supposed to take anything else in this module as accurate?

edit: clearly in that video the pilot runs the throttle up and down and then hits the detent and rolls the throttle to shutoff before starting and then clearly you hear the click as he engages fuel at some % of N1 which could be anywhere from 15-40%. It's pretty clear to me that the DCS Huey is nowhere near close to being a simulation and is somewhere between game and simlike. Gotta say I am disappointed with this. I'll be asking steam for a refund.

Edited by j0nx
  • Like 1

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

So nobody knows for sure where the throttle is supposed to be located in actuality?

The UH-1H/V Flight Manual (TM 55-1520-210-10) actually says:
Position the throttle as near as possible (on decrease side) to the engine idle stop.

later in the checklist

Slowly advance past the engine idle stop to the engine idle position. Manually check the engine idle stop by attempting to close the throttle.

N1 - 68 to 72 percent. Hold a very slight pressure against the engine idle stop during the check.

Edited by Sid6dot7

Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 @ 3.4 Ghz | 12 GB RAM (DDR3-1600) | Nvidia Geforce GTX660 Ti/2GB (Driver Ver. 381.65 ) | ASUS P8Z77-V LE Plus | SB Audigy 2 ZS (kxProject 3552) | Samsung SSD 830 Series (Sys: 64GB, DCS+other: 128GB) | Saitek X52 Pro + TM MFDs | TIR4: Pro (TIR 5.4.1.26786 Software) | Windows 10 Pro (x64, non Anniversary)

So nobody knows for sure where the throttle is supposed to be located in actuality? My guess is in shutoff like the 206 until 40% N1 and then throttle is opened. I got to say for $49.99 I am bummed by the amateurishness of this addon. Even the Dodo guys got it right in FSX of all things which has the worst flight modeling engine ever for rotorcraft. Come on DCS guys get your act together. Thinking about asking for a refund for this solely based on the amateurish startup modeling. If they flubbed it this bad on the most basic thing then how are we supposed to take anything else in this module as accurate?

edit: clearly in that video the pilot runs the throttle up and down and then hits the detent and rolls the throttle to shutoff before starting and then clearly you hear the click as he engages fuel at some % of N1 which could be anywhere from 15-40%. It's pretty clear to me that the DCS Huey is nowhere near close to being a simulation and is somewhere between game and simlike. Gotta say I am disappointed with this. I'll be asking steam for a refund.

The start up procedure is correctly simulated.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

Here is an in-cockpit vid of the full startup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-OfmHbU-Xg

Looks like we have the same switchology at least.

EDIT: The guy with the camera does a great job getting it all into the frame.

Good day!

DrDetroit

See how the ADI rotates/aligns itself when he turned the inverter on? I really miss that in the DCS Huey..