[NO BUG]New Smoke Plumes - I love them .... but ..... not for rockets.

Flagrum

Everyone is excited about the new visual appereance of the smoke plumes that missiles produce. That includes me - they ARE really stunning. But ... maybe it is just me being used to the old visuals ... but I somehow dislike them for unguided rockets like S-5 or S-8 ... especially when looked at from the cockpit.

The plumes are now dense and the smoke is kept together untill it eventually dissolves in the air whereas before it was a thin, spread out ... "mist".

Is this new look more realistic, or was the old one better?

(disclaimer: I know that everything is probably WIP - so this is not a complaint/bug report (yet), but rather my attempt to gain some better understanding on the subject. ;o)

• Like 1

I agree with OP.

The new flame and smoke effects for these small unguided rocket's are a bit too "Hollywood".

Everything else in 1.5 is just spot on, like the smoke trail's, contrails, flares, etc...

I think in 1.2.6, the effects for these rockets were more real like, what we see in the videos.

They should make the fire effect little smaller and less visible in bright day light.

But otherwise keep up the good work ED! :thumbup:

I quite like them as I can track my rockets now. Before I would only see the impact.

I'll leave it for others to decide the realism.

Well you can track these small rockets just for half a second, when the propellant is burning and after that they are gone out of your sight's :)

Remember we are talking about these smallish unguided rockets (s-8, s-5)

Edited by kripzoo

I feel the same. Smoke looks great on missiles, but a bit thick for rockets.

EDIT

It may vary between rockets though, I see little smoke in A-10 videos, but here with Su-25:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyy1OCApc0w

See 1:10

Almost invisible A-10 rocket trail:

see 2:40

Edited by Exorcet

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Cmon guys ... you can't compare appearance of rocket smoke from the side with rocket smoke viewed from collinear perspective (from the cockpit). From the side smoke could look very light almost invisible but cumulative smoke trail viewed from behind a launched rocket will look like a cloud. And then when the smoke catches the light ... different again.

*rude comment cut* ... show pictures of "like for like" to make your case.

Eurofor the rockets are still smoking even when not providing thrust?

Edited by vicx
more polite

Don't be lazy ... show pictures of "like for like" to make your case.

True. This would be from cockpit:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=053_1333796153

Looks realistic enough now in 1.5 for me.

My YouTube channel with tutorials and more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9DrfLPXfwn2Iy-iANeux8w :pilotfly:

System:

I7 3770K, Asus GTX970, 16GB DDR3, 2x250GB Samsung SSD, 46Inch LG TV main Screen, 2x 24Inch Samsung secondary screens, Thrustmaster Warthog, CH Flight Rudder Peddals Pro, TrackIR 5

Cmon guys ... you can't compare appearance of rocket smoke from the side with rocket smoke viewed from collinear perspective (from the cockpit).

From the side smoke could look very light almost invisible but cumulative smoke trail viewed from behind a launched rocket will look like a cloud. And then when the smoke catches the light ... different again.

Don't be lazy ... show pictures of "like for like" to make your case.

Then don't be lazy and read the text preceding the images before you comment. The only thing I'm referencing in those images is the rocket motors burn duration.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Then don't be lazy and read the text preceding the images before you comment

OK Eurofor. My bad.

I just watched a whole lot of youtube videos of Russian aircraft firing rockets before I posted that, and now I have NO IDEA what is realistic looking.

The more video and photos I look at the less clear it is. I was trying to make that point but I unfairly picked on your post.

OK Eurofor. My bad.

I just watched a whole lot of youtube videos of Russian aircraft firing rockets before I posted that, and now I have NO IDEA what is realistic looking.

The more video and photos I look at the less clear it is. I was trying to make that point but I unfairly picked on your post.

No problem. I don't know either. My thought was simply that it could be the rocket motor burning brightly rather than the smoke itself that is making it look strange. I can't remember seeing any footage where S-5/S-8 rockets are burning so brightly/visibly after leaving the launcher.

https://youtu.be/ckawJqbCOdw?t=10s

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No problem. I don't know either. My thought was simply that it could be the rocket motor burning brightly rather than the smoke itself that is making it look strange. I can't remember seeing any footage where S-5/S-8 rockets are burning so brightly/visibly after leaving the launcher.

https://youtu.be/ckawJqbCOdw?t=10s

On an unrelated note, you can totally see the IR jammer jamming away in this video! Gotta love how well parts of the spectrum get picked up by cameras =)

Please don't change rocket smoke fx. They are awesome. The behaviour, the visibility is amazing.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have come around to the idea that the smoke effect is a bit overdone.

Some rockets will have this BIG smoke but many of them just shouldn't. Once you start firing all the different types and also looking with the external camera you can make up your own mind. The smoke on the Combined Arms ATGMs. They are also too much in my opinion.

I understand that all the visual effects in 1.5 BETA are very far from final and that ED focuses on the larger issues - this is as it should be.

• 3 weeks later...

tcV4f4J.jpg

There is also a problem with the rockets/missile exhaust flames lighting.

By looking this screenshot we see that the "exhaust fire" (or what is called?)

lights up too much the smoke trail behind the missile, in clear daylight.

I hope that those "flames" are WIP, because they look nothing like in RL photos/videos..

Edited by kripzoo

I suppose there are different kind of smoke depending of the kind of propellant in the rockets. In this clip with Swedish Viggens (1:50) the smoke from the rockets is quite different (darker, thicker).

Rocket exhaust plumes vary based on the fuel, the altitude, and the temperature to some degree. Most people expect a bright yellow flame and white smoke, like the space shuttle SRB:

ShuttleLiftOff-600x450.jpg

This comes from a specific family of solid fuel known as Composite Propellants- the white smoke is aluminum oxide, present because aluminium is used as fuel in this kind of motor. Composite fuels are inexpensive and provide good performance, so they were popular for many years even in millitary applications.

One might compare the Zuni, seen here producing almost no smoke at all:

800px-A-4M_Skyhawk_of_VMA-324_launching_Zuni_rocket.jpg

This is a Double base engine, using some combination of Nitrocellulose, Nitroglycerine and other Nitro-compounds, as might be used in guns, only formulated for much slower burn times. You might get black smoke from these engines if the the oxidizer/fuel ratio of the propellant is fuel rich, causing carbon soot to form in the exhaust (I suspect low temperatures also promote black smoke formation). Finally, let's have a look at Titan II.

Titan_II_launch.jpg

As you can see, the exhaust flame itself is almost transparent, and there is no smoke (all that white stuff is steam from the flame damping system in the silo). The Titan II is a different beast from the previously discussed engines- it uses liquid fuel and oxidiser, in this case dinitrogen tetroxide as oxidiser and aerozine 50 (a 50/50 mix of hydrazine and unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine) as fuel. Depending on the conditions the flame could look a bit yellow thanks to the carbon in the dimethylhydrazine.

As the altitude rises, the exhaust plume will grow wider and more diffuse. The flames in DCS 1.5 look to me like they were intended to resemble a composite propellant engine operating at altitude.

• Like 1

Wonderful answer. Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Elephone P7000 using Tapatalk

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|