Dedicated server and payed map policy

Abburo

Just listen today Matt's video and was mentioned that a dedicated server will need the map to be bought in order to be used.

Well, from my point of view this can a be a kind of drawback in future. For example I am considering hosting a dedicated server on a separate dedicated user account. Adding extra cost on this low level activity can put away other potential future customers because number of dedicated servers could be substantially lower.

ED/Wags please have some further internal discussions and consider a kind of check if the .exe is a client or a dedicated server.... !!! Allow people obtain a free special code for their dedicated server so that you'll never loose control of your data. For sure you can earn a lot more by letting the number of servers to grow adding in that way a lot more customers to your database...

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

ED/Wags please have some further internal discussions and consider a kind of check if the .exe is a client or a dedicated server.... !!! Allow people obtain a free special code for their dedicated server so that you'll never loose control of your data. For sure you can earn a lot more by letting the number of servers to grow adding in that way a lot more customers to your database...

If ED did that, what would stop each of us from setting up a dedicated server and never buying any maps? I have plenty of spare hardware and it would be easy to justify compared to the expense of purchasing multiple maps.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

A dedicated server will just host a mission, including map, modules or other mods. That will not however let you play the game but to connect to it as a client. And as a client you have to have all that maps, modules, mods bought and installed otherwise you cannot login.

The future dedicated server is an background process (service) only !!!

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

A dedicated server will just host a mission, including map, modules or other mods. That will not however let you play the game but to connect to it as a client. And as a client you have to have all that maps, modules, mods bought and installed otherwise you cannot login.

The future dedicated server is an background process (service) only !!!

Honestly this seems like the best approach, but requires dedicated servers first. As what we have now is limited, I can understand requiring the server to own Nevada etc. Once dedicated servers are released, it SHOULD be another story, as you would not be able to abuse that system as you could potentially abuse the current one. (If maps were free for servers)