Toggle switches

I'm adding my post from the main forum here as well because this issue is game breaking for me...

Here is a list of commands, suggestions and general thoughts. Others perhaps will add notes to this. I have not fully gone over every change in 1.5 and I compiled this list based on looking at the controls as they stand in the release version.

Most important - These commands absolutely require separate on off functionality for definitive use without having to look down or check to see if they have gotten out of sync.

Weapon Mode - Air/Ground

Weapon Mode - IR/Neutral/Sar

Asp Mode - Missiles-rockets/Gun

Asp Mode - Bombardment/Shooting

Asp Main Mode - Manual/Auto

Asp Mode - Giro/Missile

Radar - Off/prep/on

Low Altitude off/comp/on

Locked Beam on/off

Missiles - Rockets Launch on/off

GS-23 gun on/off

Emergency Afterburner on/off

Engine Emergency Air Start on/off

Anti Surge Doors auto/manual

Flaps neutral/takeoff/landing

Gear up/neuteral/down

Gear handle fixator on/off

SPRD(RATO) drop cover open/close

release weapon cover open/close

Emergency Missile - rocket launch cover opoen/close

Less important - These commands are not absolutely vital but are nice to be able to add to a home cockpit or hotas set up and should also remain separate commands.

Navigation Lights Off/min/med/max

RSBN Mode Land/navigation/descend

Landing Lights off/taxi/land

pitot tube selector main/emergency

nosegear brake off/on

secure canopy on/off

hermetize canopy on/off

APU on/off

Drag chute cover open/close

Pipper on/off

Fix Net on/off

Not in game should be added - Some of these have already been added in 1.5, such as radio channel up down.

Radio channel next/previous

Weapon selector next/previous

rsbn navigation next/previous

prmg landing next/previous

Dangerous altitude warning selector next/previous

engine stop lock on/off <- this one would be especially nice to get working properly with the warthog throttle stop lock, the current toggle is unworkable for this without using target, and even then it's iffy.

In general. If it has an off / on or multi position command structure now it should not be removed. The ideal setup that is inclusive to all types of users is what's done in FC3 for certain commands. example...

-toggle up

-toggle down

-toggle up/down

or...

-pos1

-pos2

-pos3

-pos4

-toggle pos1 - pos4

with this methodology everyone is happy, no one is left out and it doesn't need to be a fight over casual vs realistic that some people seem to feel it needs to be. Also I would possibly select a layout by cockpit location like some of the other modules do. Example, in black shark you have a "stick" option or "left panel" option. Maybe consider laying it out in accordance to the zones of the cockpit described in the manual.

I realize the goal here may be to clean up some of the extraneous commands. But if you're going to do that do it on non vital commands such as the various startup switches that are typically mouse clicked anyway twice per flight. Like for example the inverter and battery switches.

Edited by FeistyLemur

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I completely agree.

First of all, I completely understand the rationale for adding toggle/cycle commands in DCS 1.5 for people who aren't cockpit builders or can't program arrays into their HOTAS controllers. I applaud the move to toggle/cycle commands, and I have no problem with these commands being bound by default.

That said, was there any reason to remove the discrete commands that were already in place? The way I had my Warthog before, I could assign (for example) the landing lights to the 3 position autopilot switch on the throttle base, and each switch position would discretely match a switch position in-game. Going strictly to a one-way cycle command and mapping a 3 position switch makes things less efficient and more likely for the profile to become out of sync with the game. Same thing with the nav lights, as well as many of the 2 position switches (master arm, pitot heat, nosewheel brake, etc.); having discrete states means that each switch position will call a specific position in-game, and getting out of sync is not an issue.

While leaving the new toggle/cycle commands bound by default, could you please return the plethora of discrete commands to your controller lua files for those of us who liked it the way it was?

Thank you for your consideration.